Will the Supreme Court condemn this 3 year old girl to die?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
There is something to said for that. As we say in Tennessee, pick a side, ain't nothin' in the middle of the road but dead skunks.

And the people in cars actually getting somewhere, but we will avoid that little bit of anecdotal wisdom.....

LOL Conservatives/Republicans are so selfish, all they care about is themselves. I need free stuff and they won't give it to me!

You see, it is that last part that rips raw since few actually say that. Most are saying "hell, I am willing to pay to help, YOU are supposed to be "all for America", but yet you flinch whenever it comes to anything you have to do.

It is the few freeloaders or crap talkers on both sides that ruin it for everyone, and the majority of moderate do-nothings that let is keep happening.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
one of the most profitable industries would be Pharma companies. Would of the least profitable is actually insurance companies. But lets not let facts get in the way of anything.

Please provide stats.

Tell me how my insurance company can raise rates because they stated, and I am not embellishing here, that they were unable to clear 25 cents on the dollar for the money my company was paying on their plan for the past 2 years.

I can understand when things get tight. There are admin fees, but 25% over paid premiums?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
You just have to think about who the mandate will effect. It centainly isn't the poor, they already have Medicaid. Just stickin it to the middle class once again. Obama has to claim the $5000 penalty is a tax for it to be constitutional but he promised if you made less than $250,000 your taxes won't go up.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
395543_3132032143401_1342682674_3112114_2048635430_n.jpg

Ahhhh, I get it now. So what you're saying is that we need to establish Christianity as the national religion because then we would provide for the poor?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You just have to think about who the mandate will effect. It centainly isn't the poor, they already have Medicaid. Just stickin it to the middle class once again. Obama has to claim the $5000 penalty is a tax for it to be constitutional but he promised if you made less than $250,000 your taxes won't go up.

So middle class in America has no health insurance and Republicans are fine with it?

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
Please provide stats.

Tell me how my insurance company can raise rates because they stated, and I am not embellishing here, that they were unable to clear 25 cents on the dollar for the money my company was paying on their plan for the past 2 years.

I can understand when things get tight. There are admin fees, but 25% over paid premiums?

I'm not going to do a whole lot of digging but here:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2009/performers/industries/profits/

You have to understand something there is a MASSIVE difference between profit margins and pulling billions in revenue. If you spend billions of dollars each year the hope is you make billions in profit also because that means if anything goes wrong with your business one year you could go out of business if you don't have the right cash reserves. A perfect example of this is the airline industry which spends billions of dollars each year and only pulls in 0-300/400 million in profit margins. The airlines constantly go into bankruptcy.

The fact of the matter is that insurance companies don't make a whole lot of profit and there are also LOTS of not for profit insurance companies. Quite frankly it's an easy culprit for healthcare costs but it's not even really a big player in rising costs.

People also love ot ignore the fact that medical advances cost a LOT of money. Research etc.. The fact is we can extend the lives of a lot of people but it costs so much money to get there.

There are a lot of things that need to be done with the healthcare system but anybody saying universal insurance is the answer is insane. Other countries are barely keeping their healthcare systems above the red as it is and they have far less of georpahy issue than we do. We also tend to have more advanced treatments. We spend a lot of money on medical - other countries are able to profit off it by letting us foot the bill.

Their are a billion factors here. but the fact of the matter is the CBO and govt in general can budget for our less complex standard govt programs. The solution is not to put them in charge of insurance for all.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
People also love ot ignore the fact that medical advances cost a LOT of money. Research etc.. The fact is we can extend the lives of a lot of people but it costs so much money to get there.

Insurance does not pay this.

You may site pharms, but if you look at what they have contributed, they spend more money on sleeping aids, schwinger medicine and antidepressants than cancer research (look at the $$ spent on advertisement. the more ads, the more they are trying to SELL you something they want to make money on).

While individually this is not bad, taken in combination gets quite onerous.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Reading this thread shows just how selfish conservatives/republicans are. All they can think about is them self. They don't see that if we work together to better the lives of everyone, overall all of our lives will be better. At last no, they just seek to help the people at the top, because they have some fantasy that the rich elite will let them join one day.

The GOP is doing absolutely nothing to stop you from providing health care to the poor. Or are you only generous with other people's money?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No one payed my health care when I was laid off. Well actually some people did under the existing laws, before the obummer health Care and Tyrrany act was passed.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
The GOP is doing absolutely nothing to stop you from providing health care to the poor. Or are you only generous with other people's money?

BZZZT!

Fail.

Organizations do do this. But many people do not give enough of a rats ass to donate one thin dime to help anybody do anything. they site the 5% of people grossly abusing the system to justify the abstinence from providing for the other 95%.

The point here is simple. You get everyone who can pay to pay a little, MOST PEOPLE actually end up saving money. It is less complicated than having 9 different companies do insurance, each with their own forms and levels of compensation. there are no agreements to be "in network", you do not pay 3 different prices for in net, out of net or uninsured. Basically, administration costs go DOWN SIGNIFICANTLY.

So what we have seen is that there are not enough people out there willing to provide, at an unreasonable premium, health care to the poor at current exorbitant rates. This limited support will NOT reduce the cost overall and does not solve the problem.

the ONLY thing that suggestion does is remove the guilt from some peoples minds when they say "Hey, that ain't fair. You can't make me".

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
No one payed my health care when I was laid off. Well actually some people did under the existing laws, before the obummer health Care and Tyrrany act was passed.

So? I was lucky to have my health insurance ONE MONTH before being diagnosed with cancer.

That was 6 months after getting out of college and 2 months after switching from a part time to a full time job.

So "waah" nobody paid for your HC and you were lucky. And constantly saying "Obummer" is getting stale. If you can't type the guys real name in, just spare us.

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
Insurance does not pay this.

You may site pharms, but if you look at what they have contributed, they spend more money on sleeping aids, schwinger medicine and antidepressants than cancer research (look at the $$ spent on advertisement. the more ads, the more they are trying to SELL you something they want to make money on).

While individually this is not bad, taken in combination gets quite onerous.

I know insurance does not pay this but have noticed how insurance has to pay a lot of money for drugs or for certain things at the hospital? It's because all that stuff is expensive. It's not free to come up with these miracle drugs or treatments. It's never been cheap to provide long term care but it's become more neccessary because with the miracle treatments we now live through things that used to kill us.

Again Pharma is only a tiny piece of overal medical costs. But that said you are making a more "fair" argument by complaining about their profits over insurance profits. Especially when you consider there are insurance companies who are not for profit. It's not like they are a great deal cheaper.

BTW - The real change for healthcare would require the govt to get involved on all levels from research, pharma, treatments, LTC everything and control the entire system. Our govt is not setup for that and it would be a nightmare to do. Oh and we would probably lose hundreds of thousands if not millions of jobs because the companies no longer can provide the same amount of jobs to everyone.

Last edited:
May 16, 2000
There is something to said for that. As we say in Tennessee, pick a side, ain't nothin' in the middle of the road but dead skunks.

LOL Conservatives/Republicans are so selfish, all they care about is themselves. I need free stuff and they won't give it to me!

I've picked sides on the issues, just not partisanship or single-axis philosophical pigeon-holing. I'm against the ACA, but for health care reform. I'm against both D and R. I'm against both Lib and Con.

If people want me to 'pick a team' as well as a side then they need to offer a system that has a team I'll play for.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/27/health/health-care-insurance-lifetime-caps/index.html?hpt=he_t2

This makes me so upset. Without this healthcare reform this 3 year old girl will die in a few year do to lack of insurance. I hope the people outside the courts praying that the justices throw out Obamacare know that they are condemning this 3 year old girl to death.

Will the Supreme Court condemn this 3 year old girl to die?

I see know reason why not. The Supreme Court condemned millions to death in their stupid ruling on the Roe v Wade case.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
Some of the main problems with health care in the US have nothing to do with whether the system is public or private; the AMA maintains a shortage of doctors to keep their wages high and our system is geared towards reactive treatment when preventative medicine is far more cost effective.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Some of the main problems with health care in the US have nothing to do with whether the system is public or private; the AMA maintains a shortage of doctors to keep their wages high and our system is geared towards reactive treatment when preventative medicine is far more cost effective.

There ya go! Finally someone has finally got to the real problem....supply and demand.

If I had been in charge of improving the health care system of this nation the very first thing I would have done is create a national goal of doubling the number of health care works to include and especially medical doctors available.

This BoboCare stupidity will most likely reduce by about 40,000 the number of doctors still practicing in this country. That's a recipe to ration health care and greatly increase the cost.

p.s., Just another of my troll posts.