Question Will the Samsung 980 Pro be compatible with laptops that only have PCIe 3?

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
Is it backwards compatible with PCIe 3 as most laptops only have PCIe 3?

Also, would it make any sense getting the 980 Pro vs let's say the 970 EVO Plus if a laptop doesn't have PCIe 4 or is it just a waste of money? Or would the 4K Random Read/Write speeds till give a significant improvement?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I believe (although I have not yet had the opportunity to actually test) that a PCI-E 4.0 ("Gen4") NVMe drive, will automagically step down to lower PCI-E versions. At least, all PCI-E versions thus far have done and been able to do so.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
All the Gen4 NVMe drives have all been backwards compatible with PCIe 3.0 connections.

Since PCIe 4.0 is only active on newer AMD boards right now, so don't expect backwards compatibility to be limited anytime soon.

Also, would it make any sense getting the 980 Pro vs let's say the 970 EVO Plus if a laptop doesn't have PCIe 4 or is it just a waste of money? Or would the 4K Random Read/Write speeds till give a significant improvement?
No, it would not make any sense to pay a premium for a PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive, only to be limited by both PCIe 3.0 speeds, and primarily heat in a laptop which aren't known for the best airflow.

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
All the Gen4 NVMe drives have all been backwards compatible with PCIe 3.0 connections.

Since PCIe 4.0 is only active on newer AMD boards right now, so don't expect backwards compatibility to be limited anytime soon.

No, it would not make any sense to pay a premium for a PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive, only to be limited by both PCIe 3.0 speeds, and primarily heat in a laptop which aren't known for the best airflow.
Thanks a lot! Couldn't find any info about this when I researched! this forum is the best especially when it comes to info about SSDs!