Will the Republican Party exist in 10 years?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
The fixation on the Republican Party in these forums is quite ironic and comical.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Can you source that?

The data is readily available. Gallup is a good place to start since they have been tracking American attitudes toward abortion longer than anyone else.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/9904/Public-Opinion-About-Abortion-InDepth-Review.aspx#1

I cite this one from 2002 because it's comprehensive and discusses all the various nuances in public opinion, including how the "first trimester legal" stance has remained pretty stable over several decades.

I assume you'll want something more recent on the particular statistic you bolded.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148631/Common-State-Abortion-Restrictions-Spark-Mixed-Reviews.aspx

This one shows 62/35 legal/illegal in the first trimester. Other polls, many of them, show that about 50% of Americans describe themselves as "pro-life." So it's exactly what I said: many people who describe themselves as "pro-life" think abortion should be legal in the first trimester.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
simple answer. yes.

agreed. its a stupid question actually.

will it be around? yes. without a doubt. will it be the same? no. neither will the Dems. parties change over time.

now 100 years? who knows. 20 though i am confident the answer is yes.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
The fixation on the Republican Party in these forums is quite ironic and comical.

because this forum has a STRONG Dem party stance. there are a few Republican's who post but the majority are dems.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Nope, they vote for the party or people that they think will pay them the most money. Almost every left-wing Democrat I know gets a paycheck from the government.

I know you're an antique. Do you get social security yet?

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Yes. There needs to be two parties so we can occasionally say "Lets vote these bums out... and vote those slightly different bums back in."

I'm sure the positions will change with the times. I mean who would've thought 40 years ago that the dems would field a black president? No one. Maybe the republicans will become the "gay party." They might as well, it's already a sausage fest.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Yes. There needs to be two parties so we can occasionally say "Lets vote these bums out... and vote those slightly different bums back in."

I'm sure the positions will change with the times. I mean who would've thought 40 years ago that the dems would field a black president? No one. Maybe the republicans will become the "gay party." They might as well, it's already a sausage fest.

Actually a majority of married women vote Republican.

It is only women who don't have A man who have to be dependent on THE man who vote Democrat.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Here's another Gallup poll for ya.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

As of early September, 36% Independent, 35% Democrat and 26% Republican.

Apparently those conservatives don't identify with today's Republican party which is the point of this thread.

I would say that is because the current GOP is only socially conservative. They are not remotely fiscally conservative. They are the same as democrats fiscally they just want to spend on different things. I think a lot of those independents are socially moderate and fiscally conservative. Since the GOP is neither they identify as independants. That includes me I hate both parties right now. The democratic party has been hijacked by Pelosi and tree huggers. The republican party has been hijacked by the NEOcons and social conservatives. I will vote for Gary Johnson this time around. No perfect but he is the only one who really wants to cut government spending including the bloated military budget that is out of control.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
No, if the average voter voted their interests we wouldn't have free trade agreements, special low capital gains tax rates, or an ever increasingly regressive tax structure.

The average voter is probably too dumb to understand the true effects of those policies, which is why they don't oppose them. The average voter isn't exactly focused on the long-term.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I would say that is because the current GOP is only socially conservative. They are not remotely fiscally conservative. They are the same as democrats fiscally they just want to spend on different things. I think a lot of those independents are socially moderate and fiscally conservative. Since the GOP is neither they identify as independants. That includes me I hate both parties right now. The democratic party has been hijacked by Pelosi and tree huggers. The republican party has been hijacked by the NEOcons and social conservatives. I will vote for Gary Johnson this time around. No perfect but he is the only one who really wants to cut government spending including the bloated military budget that is out of control.

Agree.

I'll add to that the reflection that the Republicans could really have had it easier had they not put out such stupid budget ideas. Tax cuts for millionaires/billionaires combined with huge spending on military, but cuts on spending that affects a lot more people = insane. If their budget actually made sense they could have gotten some independents on board, but if anything, their plan sounds even worse than the Dem plans.

Best plan = moderate tax rates, moderate spending, get it in the black for once. Too much extremism from either side is nuts.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
because this forum has a STRONG Dem party stance. there are a few Republican's who post but the majority are dems.

Nowadays yes, back during the start of the Iraq war it was the the other way around.

Just another sign regular folks are sick of the GOP.

What Republicans that are left are the "stuck on stupid" extremist type who see Conservatism as a moral crusade.

Last edited:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
They cannot just be luke-warm Democrats. We need clear contrasts and strong leadership. We need conservatives running the GOP who quite clearly tell you government is the enemy of a free people. That our constitution, our Bill of Rights is an attempt to form a more perfect Union, a more limited government of specifically enumerated powers.

What we need to win elections, is a rallying cry for Liberty. That is what Democrats like to call extremism.

The problem is that that's what pretty much everyone calls extremism. The theory sounds good to the mindless whose natural theorycrafting only pings on novelties, but once you go and tediously fill in all their gaps and show them what it means in terms of efficiencies, benefits, and protections lost, suddenly the unthinking proponent becomes a heck of a lot more moderate.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Actually a majority of married women vote Republican.

It is only women who don't have A man who have to be dependent on THE man who vote Democrat.

while the first part of your statement is factually correct, the second part is just your misogyny on display.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Jack%2BJohnson.jpg

tumblr_lxyvofWIXS1ql8xx7o1_500.png

i'm voting for robot nixon. already have the campaign poster.
001.jpg

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I know you're an antique. Do you get social security yet?

Not yet Moonie, I'm looking forward to getting that paycheck though and turning into a Democrat and start voting for my pay increases on the backs of my children and grandchildren.

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012

This. I'd be an environmentally friendly Republican, but I hate their social neanderthalism. I can't stand the "everyone should be beholden to a bloated gov't" democrats either.

Interesting that the idea of 'social conservatism' is actually not conservative at all; the very word conservative has been raped into dust by our political system. A conservative by the true definition of conservative wouldn't be out to interfere in the social/romantic lives of others.

Last edited:

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
This is the biggest problem with creating an Echo Chamber. At first it emboldens everyone to work harder for the agenda and it makes them a force to be reckoned with. Eventually it makes all within it completely blind to what is actually going on in the real world and they become irrelevant.

Same can be said for the far left

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
The Democrats as a whole don't really represent real progressives and liberals in this country. They are far more moderate and to the right of where these movements are today. This is why they have been successful at plucking off more and more Independent voters in each national election.

The GOP's biggest problem in the short term is minorities. They may have lost them for a generation or more with their latest voter ID shenanigans.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Heh, lots of denial here. I'm going to laugh my ass off when Texas turns blue. Of course the xenophobia/racism should turn up a hundred notches then, but at that point, conservatives won't be able to do jack squat.