Will the Republican Party exist in 10 years?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KingerXI

Jan 20, 2010
Time is the enemy of the Republicans. The ONLY demographic that John McCain won was the over 65 crowd. Look at the Obits every day. Probability and facts will tell you that 2/3 of those dying are Republicans. Do a little research on the web, and it is clearly documented.

At the end of the day, the Republicans need to look at their nominating process and realize it is broke. When you have people like Michelle Bachman, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, and Santorum who made a real run at being the party candidate, it is clear the Republican party nominating process is broken. And the fact that all Republicans must sign the Grover Norquist pledge, and say that abortion should be outlawed, and say that Planned Parenthood should be defunded (where no federal money is allowed to support abortion already), and that we should double-down on stupid and cut the top tax rate an additional 1/3 to 25%, etc. etc., you know the process is broken. They make their candidates take the most extreme views during the nominating process, and then they can't come back to center during the race.

Another four years out of office will be devastating to the Republicans. More old people will die, and more latinos and non-whites who aren't welcome in their party will be living in the U.S.

And they are too stubborn to get rid of the extreme litmus tests which are killing the party. LOL at the idiocy.

Last edited:

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
The idiocy needs to die though.

America needs a sensible alternative to the Democrats. I sincerely hope this is the opening needed for the Libertarian wing to gain traction. Socially moderate but fiscally conservative and strict Constitutionalists. It is the perfect counter balance to a truly liberal/progressive agenda that ensures no one side gets too reckless.

Binarycow

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2010
Good luck getting rid of bigotry, hatred, and intolerance in 10 years, if ever at all. Even Jesus through his death couldn't do it, and he was an alleged god.

PandaBear

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
They can compartmentalize their candidates in the House and maybe senate by having some far right and some moderate people, but when you have a presidential election, no one can get a candidate that satisfy all the fractions.

If Obama is not black, I'd imagine a lot of those "far right" tea baggers will not exists and not even vote, and if Romney is black, a lot of these tea baggers would be democrats trying to fight off the big money corruption instead of run away government spending.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
They can compartmentalize their candidates in the House and maybe senate by having some far right and some moderate people, but when you have a presidential election, no one can get a candidate that satisfy all the fractions.

If Obama is not black, I'd imagine a lot of those "far right" tea baggers will not exists and not even vote, and if Romney is black, a lot of these tea baggers would be democrats trying to fight off the big money corruption instead of run away government spending.

I think you mean Tea Party members. Tea bagging is a totally different thing.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/teabagging

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Nowadays yes, back during the start of the Iraq war it was the the other way around.

Just another sign regular folks are sick of the GOP.

What Republicans that are left are the "stuck on stupid" extremist type who see Conservatism as a moral crusade.

As someone who was here back then I feel comfortable saying that isn't exactly the case, sure when the war started you had people getting on the bandwagon, but before that this forum had a very leftist/liberal lean...and it was only with that one blip that you saw a few conservative sentiments get put out and about.

I still read here from time to time, but the fact is this isn't a place that is welcomming of true discourse, rather just a place for the liberals to feel comfortable beating down the few conservatives that stick it out for whatever reason.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Nowadays yes, back during the start of the Iraq war it was the the other way around.

Just another sign regular folks are sick of the GOP.

What Republicans that are left are the "stuck on stupid" extremist type who see Conservatism as a moral crusade.

It's funny you using the term extremist to describe others.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
As someone who was here back then I feel comfortable saying that isn't exactly the case, sure when the war started you had people getting on the bandwagon, but before that this forum had a very leftist/liberal lean...and it was only with that one blip that you saw a few conservative sentiments get put out and about.

I still read here from time to time, but the fact is this isn't a place that is welcomming of true discourse, rather just a place for the liberals to feel comfortable beating down the few conservatives that stick it out for whatever reason.

Methinks I smell a wiff of conservative parfume in your commentary. There are well reasoned conservatives in this forum who represent their conservative views ably without having to denegrate those with opposing views. For these folks, I personally enjoy their contributions as they are well thought out and make a convincing argument.

It seems to me your cursory analysis - quote: "I still read here from time to time." lends itself to be partisan in nature and speaks to being somewhat less informed than you need to be to make a convincing argument.

As I previously mentioned, there are well rounded conservatives who post in this forum and for the most part are well received in what commentary they share. If however, a conservative posts garbage, well , they deservedly get garbage in return.

Alas, defending the conservative ideology in its present form is difficult for its supporters, as their party has turned far right in its effort to find its identity after Bush left office in disgrace.

What hasn't changed for the Repubs is their ideology and their agenda that they watched fail miserably after six/eight years of them pursuing said ideology and agenda with urgent purpose and "success", having six years of unfettered rule and two more with Bush/Cheney still at the helm, using signing statements galore and every other device at their disposal to keep their then evolving trainwreck going full speed ahead.

Romney and Ryan are pushing the same "cut taxes for the rich and pay for it off the backs of the middle class and the poor" that Bush and Cheney "successfully" accomplished, right? Romney/Ryan have stated otherwise to pander for votes, but the legislation they're pushing says just the opposite. That's not an easy thing to do, nor is it easy to defend when all the window dressing gets stripped away and all that's left are the bare facts to contend with.

So give the conservatives in this forum their due. They are loyal to their party, and yes, some of them are overzealous, just like some of our liberals are, but generally speaking, there is genuine valuable discourse between vested interests going on in this forum, if you would only care to lurk and/or participate more often.

Personally, I've found this forum much more informative and balanced than some of the other political forums I spend time in. :)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 1999
Good luck getting rid of bigotry, hatred, and intolerance in 10 years, if ever at all. Even Jesus through his death couldn't do it, and he was an alleged god.

Jesus didn't have Facebook.

Mark Twain said:
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Well their is base is continually shrinking but it will be longer than 10 years still. They need to adopt some non neoconservative view points to get any moderates or independents on board Imo.

Actually Romney is ahead amongst independents.

What has happened, imo, is that the base of the Republican party is barely growing while the Democratic party base is growing much faster.

In 2000 the Republicans won by motivating their base to vote in higher numbers. By 2004 they had to add the "security moms" to their base. By 2008 even those constituenties couldn't overcome the four year change in the electorate as angry white men died off and younger people entered the electorate.

Even now the Republicans are riding that dying horse by trying to suppress Democratic voters instead of expanding their voter base.

The Republicans can't etch a sketch themselves out of demographics. To make the changes they need to get younger voters they have to abandon their base. Its a no win situation.

What is the most serious problem the Republicans have is that amongst the fastest growing groups in America, the youth are growing up in Democratic households. And a large number of them will stick with that party for many years.

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
Methinks I smell a wiff of conservative parfume in your commentary. There are well reasoned conservatives in this forum who represent their conservative views ably without having to denegrate those with opposing views. For these folks, I personally enjoy their contributions as they are well thought out and make a convincing argument.

It seems to me your cursory analysis - quote: "I still read here from time to time." lends itself to be partisan in nature and speaks to being somewhat less informed than you need to be to make a convincing argument.

As I previously mentioned, there are well rounded conservatives who post in this forum and for the most part are well received in what commentary they share. If however, a conservative posts garbage, well , they deservedly get garbage in return.

Alas, defending the conservative ideology in its present form is difficult for its supporters, as their party has turned far right in its effort to find its identity after Bush left office in disgrace.

What hasn't changed for the Repubs is their ideology and their agenda that they watched fail miserably after six/eight years of them pursuing said ideology and agenda with urgent purpose and "success", having six years of unfettered rule and two more with Bush/Cheney still at the helm, using signing statements galore and every other device at their disposal to keep their then evolving trainwreck going full speed ahead.

Romney and Ryan are pushing the same "cut taxes for the rich and pay for it off the backs of the middle class and the poor" that Bush and Cheney "successfully" accomplished, right? Romney/Ryan have stated otherwise to pander for votes, but the legislation they're pushing says just the opposite. That's not an easy thing to do, nor is it easy to defend when all the window dressing gets stripped away and all that's left are the bare facts to contend with.

So give the conservatives in this forum their due. They are loyal to their party, and yes, some of them are overzealous, just like some of our liberals are, but generally speaking, there is genuine valuable discourse between vested interests going on in this forum, if you would only care to lurk and/or participate more often.

Personally, I've found this forum much more informative and balanced than some of the other political forums I spend time in. :)

No offense but your post actually kind of proves his point. There was nothing even vaguely derogatory towards liberals, and he only stated what I think most that frequent this forum would state; that it's largely liberal.

Feb 10, 2000
I don't have the energy to plow through this entire thread, but I do think that the GOP will most definitely exist in ten years. The more interesting question is what it will look like. It has grown desperately fractured in the last few years, and thus it's become very difficult, at least on the Presidential level, for the same candidate to appeal to both the GOP's conservative base and the electorate as a whole. That will make things challenging for the GOP until and unless the fractures of the party find a way to work together in a more unified way.