Will the I7-7740X Kaby Lake run win 7?

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Will the I7-7740X Kaby Lake run win 7? I think I might have screwed up and ordered the wrong hardware as I need win 7. Thank you.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Not officially, but you should be able to. Be sure to integrate USB3 drivers before you start the installation process. Check board manufacturer website for drivers before hitting google for the appropriate drivers.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
It does work, but youll get a popup every 30 minutes about how the hardware isnt supported, and you need to migrate over to the new M$ data mining OS......I mean window$ 10. Theres a couple KB''s you need to hide/uninstall to remove this popup, it serves no functional purpose otherwise as win7 workes fine on 7th gen chips.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
It does work, but youll get a popup every 30 minutes about how the hardware isnt supported, and you need to migrate over to the new M$ data mining OS......I mean window$ 10. Theres a couple KB''s you need to hide/uninstall to remove this popup, it serves no functional purpose otherwise as win7 workes fine on 7th gen chips.

What programs don't work on Windows 10 that do on 7? You can easy disable the telemetry collection microsoft does.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Windows 7 will run fine,other then the pop up mentioned above.
That said, MS has stated that they will not support the new CPUs which means that you will not get all the updates if you need the system for a professional environment that might be a problem.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
As I understand it, MS sent out an update on Windows Update that screws up WU on Win7 machines running Kaby Lake or newer hardware. In your shoes, I would find out which update it is, then vet all the updates coming in (disable the auto-install updates option) for that particular one then hide that update from the list and install the rest.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
As I understand it, MS sent out an update on Windows Update that screws up WU on Win7 machines running Kaby Lake or newer hardware. In your shoes, I would find out which update it is, then vet all the updates coming in (disable the auto-install updates option) for that particular one then hide that update from the list and install the rest.
Just go here; download and read instructions. It excludes all telemetry and 'undesirable' updates. Very convenient. I'd advice that you integrate before you install, so you can have a fully updated copy in your storage for future installs.
https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...egrate-hotfixes-into-win7-distribution.45005/

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
What programs don't work on Windows 10 that do on 7? You can easy disable the telemetry collection microsoft does.

Audio drivers for a Soundblaster XFi titanium, at least they were glitchy last time I tried them. Other than that I dont think anything else I use would have issues with windows 10, its just me that has issues with windows 1-. many issues.