Question Will running speed tests affect other devices connected to network?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
If I set up a script to automatically run a speedtest.net speed test from a raspberry pi on my home network every hour, and I happen to be working at home on my laptop on the same network using the internet downloading files or on a Zoom call, will I experience connectivity interrupts once per hour when the speed test runs?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If the pi is connected like another computer on the same Network, there will be some reduction in Bandwidth to the laptop when the PI is running the test.

Would it create Interruption? Probably Not, but depending on your specific situation ay the moment YMMV.

:cool:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
If the pi is connected like another computer on the same Network, there will be some reduction in Bandwidth to the laptop when the PI is running the test.

Would it create Interruption? Probably Not, but depending on your specific situation ay the moment YMMV.

:cool:
Pi is connected by ethernet to the router, laptop is on Wifi. I will have to give it a shot and see what happens this week when I work.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'd have thought that the speed test is going to suck up all the bandwidth that it can for the time it's running. If there's no QOS running I can't see how that wouldn't impact everyone else trying to connect.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Very likely you'll get some slowdown. Speedtest.net's web / app tests last about 30 seconds total tho....so you may not even notice all the time.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yes you unquestionably will since you now have multiple connections competing for bandwidth. It's not a connectivity interrupt, rather reduced throughput share by all clients, which isn't a big deal for that brief period for a download but could cause stuttering on streaming calls and other video playback, if the needed (average) bitrate is higher than the fraction that client gets - made worse by using wifi.

You can use QOS to deprioritize the pi, but then you don't get accurate speedtest results except "real world" of what it sees. Why do you need to run an hourly test?

If you are having performance problems, certainly a log can prove it to an ISP, but not necessarily the cause, would probably still require an on-site analysis by their tech and if just their network congestion, won't do much good. On the other hand if the internet is just disconnecting, you can log that with far less interruption than a speed test might cause.

Last edited: