Will running help me gain muscle mass?

UberDave

Platinum Member
Apr 9, 2002
Okay, so i've been training forever and even though I am strong, i'm still that 125lb 'skinny' kid that everyone knows.

My routine is basicly Bench heavy weights (warm up / 3 sets) , do some flys to work my pecks @ around 100lbs (3 sets), Pull down bar @ 120lbs (3 sets frontal, and behind my neck)... biceps and some free weights / leg presses. ...etc etc.

I can't seem to gain any weight or mass. I have some definition to me, but i REALLY want to gain muscle mass.

-QUESTION-
I went running today for the first time in years (3 miles i almost died) ....i thought it may shock some unused muscle and I don't know.... shock my system so maybe it produces more muscle? Do you think it would help?

Any help to gain some weight and more muscle?

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm that way too. I can lift weights until the cows come home. I get stronger, but very little obvious muscle.

Piss on the supplement or calories, if it ain't in your genes it won't work!

Excercise for health reasons and be happy with your body. Besides, it is normal looking guys that girls want and not muscle bound dopes!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Excercise for health reasons and be happy with your body. Besides, it is normal looking guys that girls want and not muscle bound dopes!
Oh yeah? Since when have you been considered normal looking? j/k Tom;)

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
Keep hitting the weights. Running is an excellent exercise for cardio, but gets pitiful results when it comes to building muscle mass. Marathon runners are typically very skinny.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Tominator
I'm that way too. I can lift weights until the cows come home. I get stronger, but very little obvious muscle.

Protein and vitamin supplements will make even healthier, even if it doesn't build mass. Oh, and 125lbs is very light. Girls don't want some 300lb weight-lifter, but they don't want a pip-squeek either.

UberDave

Platinum Member
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by: KnightBreed

Protein and vitamin supplements will make even healthier, even if it doesn't build mass. Oh, and 125lbs is very light. Girls don't want some 300lb weight-lifter, but they don't want a pip-squeek either.

exactly my point. My friend is 180lbs, looks like he has stuff but in fact i can kill him in lifting, and i'm 125lbs! I'm sick of being called skinny, by hot girls who won't give me the time of day because of it. I mean, yeah i should be happy with who i am, which i am.... but come on i'm in college, i want to get some of these girls and screw em' over like they do me ;). Btw, I take Creatine and weight gainer.

;) thanks
-dave

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
Running won't help with muscle mass (at least not noticeably), but you should still do it. Weights may help with appearance, but I think cardio is more useful for everyday living (increase your stamina etc.).

Punisher007

Jan 21, 2001
It seems pretty clear why you aren't gaining any muscle...you're running WAY to much. When you are trying to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you consume. However, when you are trying to build muscle, you're body needs its maintenance calories and also some extra to develop the muscles. Therefore, any extra calories your body has are being burned by your running/cardio activity. It's good to hear your taking creatine and weight gainer. I would recommend getting 1 -1.5 grams of protien per pound of bodyweight. At 125lbs you should be having 125g of protein at the minimum, and to building muscle I would go for a bit more. Other than that, stick with your current workout program...less reps and higher weight. Try to work in 4 sets per exercise if you can.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KnightBreed

Recent studies show that taking supplements will shorten your life.
What your body can't use or store it expels. You cannot change that.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Mix up your weightlifting program. Throw in some negatives to really blast your muslces.

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
it's a common misconception that running takes away from muscle gain. keep running a little bit, you could use the extra endurance.

make sure to eat loads and loads of protien. it's the only thing thats gonna build the muscle back. protien shakes are a great supplement.

your routine also seems heavily flawed. it appears to me you're doing like a whole body routine in one day. seperate your muscle groups into about 4 different routines. i have bi's and tri's, chest and shoulders, back, and legs. it looks like you're only doing an excercise or two per group, which is pretty useless unless it's at a really high intensity. try to mix it up for every muscle group too so you can hit it from every angle.

don't bother with creatine yet until you know what you're doing.

read this.

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: yobarman
it's a common misconception that running takes away from muscle gain. keep running a little bit, you could use the extra endurance.

make sure to eat loads and loads of protien. it's the only thing thats gonna build the muscle back. protien shakes are a great supplement.

your routine also seems heavily flawed. it appears to me you're doing like a whole body routine in one day. seperate your muscle groups into about 4 different routines. i have bi's and tri's, chest and shoulders, back, and legs. it looks like you're only doing an excercise or two per group, which is pretty useless unless it's at a really high intensity. try to mix it up for every muscle group too so you can hit it from every angle.

don't bother with creatine yet until you know what you're doing.

read this.

I really have to agree. I never started putting on a lot of mass until I became very specialized with my lifting. I take a protein shake which has 100% of the protein I need and very little excessive calories. I also take Zinc Magnesium supploements, and I like the results so far.

You should really be doing a lot more low reps high weight if you want size. High reps, low weight is for more defintion.

For chest, I can't really reccomend a very specific example because I have always wanted more definition than size. But for chest, I would say you should do bench press, incline press, and decline press. It has really helped me out by doing 3 sets of 10 of each of those exersizes.

Keep running too, aerobic activity is always good. Why dont you run a mile everyday until you can get yourself upto 3 miles a day?

Spac3d

Apr 5, 2000
You really don't sound like you're working out right. You need to split up different body parts on different days - what you've described is the quintessential newbie workout that someone who doesn't know how to lift always does. (No offense)

And it doesn't matter how much you throw up - it's what you do with it that counts. You might throw up more than your 180 lb friend but he's the one adding muscle and weight while you're stuck in a rut.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
running/power walking is a cardio workout, I just started with a personal trainer and I'm trying to build muscle, he cut my power walking
schedule down, I think running and such burns fat and makes you leaner, lifting,using the machines bulks you up more.

ironxman99

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2000
yea, isolate different muscles and work those out on different days.

i usually do tri's/chest and bi's/shoulders and back

also, if you keep doing the same workout, you'll stop seeing results
i.e. the same fly exercise and regular bench press every time
ur muscles will get too used to it, and the same exact ones will always be worked, so you need to vary your routines, even if its for the same areas

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I guess the problem is your workout. I had the same problems. I kept lifting more and more weight but my muscular mass kept decreasing. You are basically only making your muscles more dense and not bigger. I guess a good idea would be to talk to a personal trainer or take classes at a Community college about fitness.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Running like a marathon runner is bad for muscle gain but the negatives from doing 3 miles a few times or more a week is almost certainly not going to slow down your overall body muscle growth and tiwll keep you healthy (some say that any cardio will slow down skeleton muscle growth).

That said running definitely won't give you any muscle at all unless you're damn fat or running with a weight pack on. As mentioned marathon runners have pathetic builds.

Also I agree with others that your weight routine is either flawed or your calorie consumption is but probably both could do with some help.

BeerGod

Banned
May 14, 2002
or you can be like all the meatheads in the gym with big arms and small legs, and zits all over, and a small sacky..

TAKE THE JUICE!!!

ROIDS!