Will Republicans be successful in setting the agenda for the general election this year (again)?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The main concern should be the economy. But I'm willing to bet that national security will be a big factor, thanks to republican fear tactics. The question is, will democrats bite? McCain is weak on economics and if the Democratic candidate can focus mainly on that point, this election should be a wrap. If they try to compete with McCain on war, they'll lose. And the "liberal" tag should be countered with the explosion of the deficit after Bush came to office.

I'm not sure how to counter fear, but the democrats will have to come up with something simple and smart.

If the Democrats lose this election, the remnants of the party should form a new party.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
is obama really any stronger on the economy, though?

it's not like he can point to the clinton years after running so hard against Billary.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481

it's not like he can point to the clinton years after running so hard against Billary.

he can point to his own plans. He can esaily turn the table on McCain, using his own words (I know nothing about the economy) or point to the fact that Bush racked up huge deficits and wasted money fighting a pointless, dumb war. If that doesn't get people pissed, I don't know what will. Money going to fucking Iraq instead of Americans? Are you kidding me?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Republicans are going to have a hard time setting any agenda this year.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think a majority of people can now see what voting their fears have bought us. It's why, I think, Obama's message of hope has such a following.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Dari

he can point to his own plans. He can esaily turn the table on McCain, using his own words (I know nothing about the economy) or point to the fact that Bush racked up huge deficits and wasted money fighting a pointless, dumb war. If that doesn't get people pissed, I don't know what will. Money going to fucking Iraq instead of Americans? Are you kidding me?

Please. Obama's as good as his speech writers are. At least McCain is straight forward that he doesn't know jack about economics, not that he should.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
ohh come on do you think that box of rocks bush could even dream of delivering a speech as good as obama? it's more then the writers.

I think the republicans are not only going to have a hard time setting an agenda they are going to have a hard time holding seats in the congress and the senate. And I highly doubt they will win the white house. People are tired of this corruption.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic

Please. Obama's as good as his speech writers are. At least McCain is straight forward that he doesn't know jack about economics, not that he should.

Obama rights his own speeches.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic

Obama rights his own speeches.

but what's he going to do to write injustices?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

I'm not sure how to counter fear, but the democrats will have to come up with something simple and smart.

don't hold your breath ;) Don't ask the Hillary people they couldn't come up with crap in the last 8 weeks!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Whoever the Democratic candidate ends up being, HE will need to focus on one simple problem:
"It IS the economy, Stupid.

Once again, a Bush is ending his term in office with the economy doing very poorly.

Bill Clinton campaigned on "The Economy," after Bush41's term, and it's a very appropriate campaign issue now. For most Americans, it's a more vital interest than Iraq or Afghanistan, more important than just about anything else...Americans want to know if their jobs are safe, if they're going to be able to afford to drive their cars, if they're about to lose their house due to any number of factors, and WAAAAY down the list, if there's a terrrerest hiding under their bed.

I don't deny that there ARE terrorists out there that want to do us harm, but it's NOT the main concern in my daily life, nor should it be.
The candidates need to be more aware of that and focus on what can be done to jump-start our economy besides borrowing billions of $$$ to give people $600 that most will either stick in savings or use to pay bills.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
If Obama can tie Iraq to national security, he should have an easy time skating by.