Will overclocking significantly decrease my processor's life?

morbidman

Jan 29, 2006
Hello everyone. I just finished putting together my first computer yesterday and would like to get started overclocking it. It has a 2500k in a GAP67UD3B3 with 212+ cooling. I've never overclocked before but I think I have found some good relevant literature http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=4072.0 but I'm worried it will be detrimental to my processor's lifespan.

As long as I go with conservative settings (I have no idea what these might be) can I expect my computer to last for the next 4 years or so? Thanks.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
If you are worried, then don't increase the voltage, just keep going higher until it isn't stable on stock voltage.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
It wildly varies. For the most part, unless you're hitting crazy temperatures or using insane voltages, you should be fine for many many years.

There have been some notable danger zones in overclocking over the past decade or so. A ways back, the original T-Birds could reach pretty high clocks, but without any kind of advanced thermal controls, they could fry if the fan stopped working or similar sudden heat problems. Not long after, many suffered from SNDS, usually from excess voltage, but it was a very irritating problem, instead of just 100% fine or 100% dead, many chips were flaky/iffy, even when returned to stock settings. This is classic electromigration. Later on during the Core era, a lot of mainboards would flake out after varied lengths of time at very high overclocks, exhibiting vdroop increases and usually the chip proved to be fine when moved to a new mobo.

As for what you say : "conservative settings" and "4 years", I would think so, with the following caveats to that ;

(1)- Stock voltage or very close to stock voltage.
(2)- Very good cooling (no water/etc necessary, just well-reviewed air cooling)
(3)- Back down a step or two from max OC, and look for modest temps. Example : if you are able to reach 4.8ghz with only a small voltage bump, and are getting warm but stable temps, then maybe back it down to 4.4ghz or so for the long haul. Realistically 400mhz isn't going to make much difference in anything you do, and games will be pegging even tri-sli video cards to the max before they get bottlenecked by a 4.4ghz SB.

my 2 cents, good luck and have fun!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
What Arkaign said for the most part. Let me phrase a different way:

1) With Stock vcore and good aftermarket cooling, you can overclock to your hearts content, and your lifespan will be no different.
2) Same as above, and mild vcore boost, lifespan goes from 20 years to 10 (just a guess, but by the time it would die who cares)
3) extreme vcore and temp ? could die in an hour or less.

Last edited:

morbidman

Jan 29, 2006
Thanks for the insight guys. You guys made some very good points. I'll have to see what bottlenecks in the games I'm playing. If my processor isn't it I suppose it's not worth it to overclock it for the time being. Also, if I overclock, will it run at that speed regardless of cpu load? I'm not particularly concerned about power consumption, but would a higher level of heat in the case hurt any of my other parts? I guess I'm still looking for specific values, in terms of speeds and voltage if anyone could be so kind. Thanks again!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
As long as you don't disable any of the various power management stuff in the bios, the cpu will still atuo-adjust clock speeds based on load, lowering power and heat usage/output. It's nothing to worry about, the chip will automatically clock up to default levels when loaded.

As for added heat, yes it does make a difference, but in a well-thought out setup, it's not a huge problem. I generally recommend cases with 120mm fans front and rear so that a lot of air can be moved through the case with push/pull without a ton of noise. Personally, I'm more annoyed with extra noise than a bit of extra heat. As a personal rule, I like the ambient internal case temps to be no higher that ~90f, and preferably a good bit lower.

As for speeds, if you are primarily gaming/watching video/etc, then I would personally stay with stock voltage, and probably at this time no more than 4ghz would be useful. If you are doing distributed computing or hd video encoding, that's where the higher clock speeds would see improvements in further overclocking. So 4400mhz vs. 4000mhz would theoretically give up to a 10% improvement in those tasks, though in reality the other elements in your system would lower that gain somewhat.

My absolute best advice remains though, when you get a new setup, there's nothing wrong with finding the limits, though I don't recommend going to very high voltages. Once you find the stable limits for Prime/etc, backing off a few steps is a prudent measure. I never like to run right at the limit of stability for a 24/7 personal system. It's a bit different when you have a number of rigs or you are intending to reach the absolute limit for competitive/enthusiast computing. Gaming is almost solely limited by the video card these days as long as your CPU isn't ancient. By that I mean that a lowly Athlon X4 @ 3ghz w/GTX580 will run circles around a 5ghz SB i7 w/GTX560 in pretty much any game, even though the X4 is hugely outgunned by the SB proc. You have the basis for a great system for a long time for gaming, you just may have to upgrade the GPU in a couple of years to keep pace with the latest games, or if you upgrade to say a 2560x1440 monitor or so.

Also, you can take anything Mark has to say straight to the bank, he's run a private army of overclocked systems for as long as I've been here, and is a valuable contributor to any thread. I never run more than 1 or 2 systems personally, but have built many thousands over the past couple of decades. Of those number, more than half have just been average business-use desktops. Of the enthusiast machines I have made, I offer the best information to my knowledge. As time has gone on, I haven't had as much time or desire to continually push the limits of new stuff.

Last edited:

morbidman

Jan 29, 2006
OK thanks arkaign, I will get some more benchmark apps and try to push to 4 on stock voltage. On a side note and at risk of the having the thread moved, do you have any specific advice on overclocking a 570 GTX with reference cooler? Thanks.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I don't have particular experience with GTX570. The general consensus seems to be that you can often get GTX580 performance levels with an overclocked GTX570 on stock cooling so long as your case is of course decently ventilated. Similar to CPUs, GPUs overvolted can die, and often much more suddenly than CPUs due to the much higher regular operating temps.

You should start a new thread in the video card section for this path of answers though. Good luck, have fun :)

JFAMD

May 16, 2009
Processors are like snowflakes, no two are the same. Overclocking will reduce the silicon life but there are so many factors that it would be impossible for most to determine what the actual impact is.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
it takes some serious over-volting and high temps to appreciably lower the life expectancy of a CPU

you should be able to hit 4.4-4.6GHz without really having to worry about that. I haven't seen many if any 5+GHz setups that I'd be comfortable with for 24-7 use for a 4 year span.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Processors are like snowflakes, no two are the same. Overclocking will reduce the silicon life but there are so many factors that it would be impossible for most to determine what the actual impact is.

Yep, and even without overclocking, you never know.

For example, a stock T-bird 1ghz overclock to 1.2ghz might well overclock the infamous stock 1.4ghz T-bird inferno. Likewise, a stock P3 coppermine 370 600mhz overclocked to 800mhz might vastly outlast a stock P3 1.13ghz with typical cooling.

General wisdom is to look for the limits of a process tech and stepping, and then stay away from crazy voltages or at-the-limit clockspeeds.

JFAMD

May 16, 2009
When I say no two are alike I mean literally no 2. You could have 2 processors come off the same wafer, right next to each other, that have 500MHz delta in overclockability.

In addition, most of the processors that are built today could have been binned at a higher clock speed than what they end up being binned. You could have 2 different 2.4GHz processors and one could have had a max bin of 2.4 and the other could have been binned as high as 3GHz but was binned at 2.4 because there is always more demand for the lower bins.

Top bin, N-1 and N-2 typically comprise almost 100% of the wafer yield, so anything beyond N-2 is typically artificially down binned to reach the demand distribution.

And even two identical processors, both binned to the same max speed will still have different electrical characteristics that will make them react to power in a different way.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Would like to add that stock voltage does not mean the "Auto" setting in bios. Make sure you set them manually.