Memory:

Memory: OCZ 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 DUAL CHANNEL KIT

* 800MHz DDR2
* CL 5-5-5-15
* 2GB (2x1024) dual channel optimized kit
* Copper Mirrored XTC Heatspreader*
* 2.1Volts
* 240 Pin DIMM

When Penryn comes out, will i be able to upgrade and overlcock the penryn processor on this setup to full capacity with no problems? Thanks guys :)

UF Matt

May 20, 2007
No one really knows for sure. Usually it isn't worth fretting over. Considering you can get an e4300 plus a decent motherboard for $215, you can't lose. If you can upgrade then so much the better. If not, you only dropped $215.

gobucks

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
i have the ds3 (rev 1.0) and I like it a lot, but I would look for a newer revision - i think they are up to rev 3.3, which adds support for a 1333MHz FSB and better integrated audio with dolby digital live, as well as fixing some other random problems. obviously it isn't a huge deal, since my rev 1.0 board performs great, but if you're buying a new board now, you might as well get the best version of it.

and yeah, if you're looking for penryn compatibility, its still pretty up in the air, although i would think it would support it just fine with a bios update, seeing how the board already supports quad-core and 1333MHz bus. But hey, the board is only $100 bucks, and it is a tremendously popular board, so I imagine that even if it turns out that it isn't compatible with the new chips, I imagine you wouldn't have a difficult time selling your C2D and DS3 on the forums in order to buy yourself a new CPU and compatible mobo.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Zulu342
When are the Penryn chips scheduled to be released?

No exact date but late this year, Q4 if everyone goes like it seems it will. In Q3 (apparently July 22, from recent rumors) Intel will lower prices ($266 Q6600) and release 1333MHz FSB C2D's. Then, apparently, in Q4 the 45nm chips will be released. What kind of availability there will be at launch remains to be seen, however.

For your question, OP, nobody really knows whether or not 45nm Penryns will work in current motherboards. They do use the LGA 775 socket, but in the past launches of new CPU's (such as the C2D) most old motherboards have not worked with the new chips despite being on the same socket.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too excited about Penryn anyway. It is an improvement, but I can't see Conroe -> Penryn being a realistic upgrade path for most people, except when going from a dual core to quad core CPU. There simply isn't much improvement, clock-for-clock, from Conroe to Penryn. Of course, if these 45nm chips are overclocking to 4GHz +, that's another story.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Penryn will not work with the current motherboards, unless you're confident enough to modify the VRM around your socket. It uses a slightly different power delivery system, primarily just enough to force people into buying new motherboards...

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The P35 or X38 chipset boards are more likely to support Penryn CPU's (may require a bios flash).
P35 boards can be found for sale today; X38 boards in another 3 months or so.