Will Microsoft Store & Apps be reinstalled by Windows 10 semi-annual upgrade if I removed them using PowerShell?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
As title. Running out of space on one mini PC.

Hope removing MS Store and it's Apps can solve the problem.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Assuming Win10 Home/Pro:

My bet is yes they will be reinstalled.

When Windows 10 experiences a 'feature upgrade' it's essentially reinstalling Windows with an in-place upgrade. It loses settings such as the user changing the default locale and reinstates that setting however Windows 10 was first installed in this respect; I've seen this plenty of times in the UK because UK users who upgraded to Win10 with the free upgrade ended up with the US English keyboard layout even if the UK one was the default in Windows 7/8x, and then I've seen the US keyboard layout get reinstalled after a feature upgrade even though I removed it.

Also, the System Restore setting gets knocked back to the default which is super-irritating because I've built many systems with 128GB SSDs and with those the default is to switch SR off and I have to go and re-enable it, then it has been knocked off again on many occasions / customers' computers after a feature upgrade.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
As title. Running out of space on one mini PC.

Hope removing MS Store and it's Apps can solve the problem.
You’ve had storage problems with this mini PC before - I don’t suppose there is any way to upgrade the storage? Is it worth keeping this device? Not trying to be a dick.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
This is weird, last week I removed MS Store and most Store Apps except Edge and Calculator, also disabled hibernation.

Replace MS office with LibreOffice and space left was 8GB.

Today I checked C drive, and MS Store was reinstalled automatically and free space is back to 12GB!

How? But I'm happy!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm constantly fighting on my Win8 tablet for its 16GB capacity. I'm tempted to wipe it and start over, but my point is I too have seen the lack of rhyme or reason to sudden extra use of space or it suddenly being freed up, and that's despite me making regular use of dism commands to try and clean up the OS.