Will Intel release any new Haswell i3 CPUs? (Like the 3.9Ghz Skylake i3-6320?)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just thinking. I have some nice little 1150 (Haswell) mini-DTX mobos, in mini-ITX cases. I like the size, form-factor, and motherboard / platform. What I want, though, is a CPU as close to my 4.0Ghz OCed G3258 CPUs, but with HyperThreading. Like the newly-released i3-6320 Skylake 3.9Ghz i3 CPU.

Part of the reason that I want Haswell, rather than Skylake, is that Intel's iGPU drivers for SKL are absolutely horrid. The Haswell drivers are much more well-behaved. (Though they occasionally have quirks.)

Been thinking of some i3-4170 CPUs, but would much rather have a 3.9-4.0Ghz CPU.

Edit: Yeah, I know, it's kind of a dumb question, and wishful thinking. I'm honestly not even sure if Intel is still making Haswell CPUs. But if they are, why wouldn't they still be tweaking the process and yields? At this point, they should be quite good. If I were Intel, and it was possible, I would release a 3.9Ghz i3 SKU for Haswell, and of course, charge an appropriately higher price for it.

Edit: Or at the very least, budget some R&D money for driver development, to get the Skylake iGPU drivers to a state AT LEAST as good as the Haswell video drivers.

Last edited:

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
They are still in production, but I doubt there will be any new SKUs since it is 2 generations old.

SAAA

May 14, 2014
They will probably release new 4.0GHz... Kabylake i3 CPUs ;)

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
In case there's another new i3 Haswell, it will be named i3-4380 rated at 3.9GHz. But I doubt this will happen.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
In case there's another new i3 Haswell, it will be named i3-4380 rated at 3.9GHz. But I doubt this will happen.

And it wouldn't be much of an improvement over the 3.8ghz i3-4370 that we already have.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
And it wouldn't be much of an improvement over the 3.8ghz i3-4370 that we already have.
Core i3-4380 is a valid model number, as well as Celeron G1860. Intel ended the Pentium at G3470 (70 at end) and Core i5 at 4690 (90 at end). It makes sense for the i3 to end at 80, so i3-4380 does come into play. Celeron should end its run at 60. Who knows???

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Last i3-4300 series was released 1Q15, the 4370T, so it's been over a year.

G1850 was released 2Q14.

Very unlikely to see any more of either series, I think.

I have an i3-4360 and it's a surprisingly snappy little chip.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I think I would like this as well. Hoping for a Kabylake i3 at 4.0-4.2Ghz for a new HTPC/Gaming Setup. How close are we again to the Kabylake release date?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
We're going to see more i3's, just not Haswell chips.

We already have Skylake i3's, at 3.9Ghz of course.

We seem to have skipped Broadwell i3's.

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
I wish intel released an K series i3. Better yet, K series of every desktop line.

Wishful thinking, i know.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Intel is keeping a secret with upcoming Celeron G1860 and Core i3-4380 for next year with Skylake refresh together. They wouldn't release Pentium G3470 out for fun, this was an unnecessary model I think, but it shows clearly Intel wants to finish-out the Haswell lineup with Celeron at "60" and i3 at "80" at the end.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Haswell was initially released in 2013 with the Devil's Canyon refresh in 2014 all on .22nm. The manufacturing shift to .14nm took place last year with Skylake and Broadwell - Haswell chips have long since passed. I doubt you'll see any new Socket 1150 chips.

Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, they're done. Thinking otherwise is pretty silly.

They're probably already working on drivers. What kind of issues are you having VL?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, they're done. Thinking otherwise is pretty silly.

They're probably already working on drivers. What kind of issues are you having VL?

As it turns out, it may not be Intel's fault, but rather a poor design of my Asus H110M-A board's video-output stage. I keep having HDMI audio handshake issues, when coming out of monitor sleep mode. I have to go to Device Manager, and actually Disable the Intel Display Audio device, and then wait, and then re-enable it, to get sound back working after a monitor wake event.

It's a total PITA.

Anyways, I did an experiment with my ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX board, and my G4400 CPU (now non-OC), using the Intel HD 510 iGPU, and the same 4424 drivers, and I set my monitor sleep time to 1 minute, and I slept and woke the monitor three times in a row, and the internet radio audio kept playing every time.

So, it's got to be the Asus mobo that's the problem.

Last edited:

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Haswell was initially released in 2013 with the Devil's Canyon refresh in 2014 all on .22nm. The manufacturing shift to .14nm took place last year with Skylake and Broadwell - Haswell chips have long since passed. I doubt you'll see any new Socket 1150 chips.
Both Celeron G1860 and Core i3-4380 are valid model numbers hidden in Intel's computer, despite they may never be released. They are used for emergency only in case Skylake sales don't do well. Remember, Intel wouldn't release Pentium G3470 out for fun.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
As it turns out, it may not be Intel's fault, but rather a poor design of my Asus H110M-A board's video-output stage. I keep having HDMI audio handshake issues, when coming out of monitor sleep mode. I have to go to Device Manager, and actually Disable the Intel Display Audio device, and then wait, and then re-enable it, to get sound back working after a monitor wake event.

It's a total PITA.

Anyways, I did an experiment with my ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX board, and my G4400 CPU (now non-OC), using the Intel HD 510 iGPU, and the same 4424 drivers, and I set my monitor sleep time to 1 minute, and I slept and woke the monitor three times in a row, and the internet radio audio kept playing every time.

Windows 10?

Since upgrading last fall, I've been having my Displayport monitor and USB audio interface get crabby over which of them is my Default audio device.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Windows 10?

Since upgrading last fall, I've been having my Displayport monitor and USB audio interface get crabby over which of them is my Default audio device.

I had similar problems with DP with a skylake machine using intels drivers. All problems vanished when I popped in a discrete card. The issues with default audio devices, for example. I found that the Intel drivers really struggled to fire up the DP screen quick enough upon resume or power. With my NVIDIA card, DP monitor is lit up and active before Windows boots. With the Intel iGPU the thing would just be turning on by the time the desktop was reached (fast computer, fast SSD, we're talking just 5 seconds here.)

The slow turn on for the DP screen also meant that sometimes upon resume, windows would start flying over to my HDMI monitor because it didn't detect the DP screen right away. I'd have to drag things over once the DP screen finally turned on.

It was frustrating and the problems upon resume made me disable sleep on my machine, which was discouraging since I'm all about power savings and having my machines sleep quickly after I walk away from the desk.

Every single problem I encountered went away when I tossed in my GTX950.

I wanted to blame the intel drivers but there seems to be something fundamental about the iGPU's hardware itself since the problems began when I hit the power button, not even just the OS.

Feb 25, 2011
Both Celeron G1860 and Core i3-4380 are valid model numbers hidden in Intel's computer, despite they may never be released. They are used for emergency only in case Skylake sales don't do well. Remember, Intel wouldn't release Pentium G3470 out for fun.

Hidden in Intel's computer, eh? How do you know that?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

Doubtful. On Russian sites, it was discussed that one of the disadvantages of BLCK overclocking of Skylake are iGPU issues, inability to put the CPU into power savings modes, broken temperature sensor, etc.

There are a few caveats.

"First, you must watch out and lower other multipliers because BCLK overclocking increases the final frequency of all domains (Core, Cache, FCLK, and Memory). Second, these new BIOSes are not perfect because the changes that allow overclocking not only screw up temperature sensor reporting but also break power savings features (your CPU will always run 100% frequency). Third, overclocking the BCLK can introduce jitter and might even require more VCore for stable overclocks than multiplier overclocking. Fourth, Intel does not support this, and it might be reversed soon."
http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/748...-intel-skylake-overclocking-guide/index3.html

"Update #3: after ASRock now also ASUS and MSI have uploaded BIOSes for their Z170 motherboards. Elmor has uploaded the BIOSes for 7 motherboards: Maximus VIII Hero, Maximus VIII Gene, Maximus VIII Extreme, Maximus VIII Impact, Z170-DELUXE, Z170-A and Z170-E. Note that these are in fact BETA versions of the BIOS and there is thus a long list of issues and warnings: no IGPU, No dynamic change of CPU frequency, No C-states, No Turbo Mode, CPU temperature reading is incorrect, AVX instructions have very low performance and Windows XP ACPI not supported. You can download the BIOSes here."
http://hwbot.org/newsflash/3263_unl...update_asus_asrock_msi_bioses_up_for_download

Larry, stop wasting $ on junk and get a proper i7 K series and not worry about upgrading for 5 years. If you want as much "future-proofness" as possible, start saving $ now for i7 7800K Skylake-E 6-core.

Part of the reason that I want Haswell, rather than Skylake, is that Intel's iGPU drivers for SKL are absolutely horrid. The Haswell drivers are much more well-behaved. (Though they occasionally have quirks.)

Or just get a GTX950 when it goes on a fire sale in 3 months. Good enough for basic 1080p gaming and have decent 4K video support and HDMI 2.0.

Last edited:

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Hidden in Intel's computer, eh? How do you know that?
Intel always have some emergency model numbers in case the new ones don't sell well. Core i3-2135 3.4GHz from Sandy Bridge and i3-3255 3.5GHz Ivy Bridge also come into my mind, despite they're unreleased.

Feb 25, 2011
Intel always have some emergency model numbers in case the new ones don't sell well. Core i3-2135 3.4GHz from Sandy Bridge and i3-3255 3.5GHz Ivy Bridge also come into my mind, despite they're unreleased.
That's what I'm asking. How do you know those exist, how many GHz they are, etc.?