Will inaction on Iran swing the Jewish vote?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 26, 2007
Stopped reading.....

LOL, you know how i know you read all of my post?

Because you didn't want to make that argument in case i was rooting for your boy in this race, in that case you would have said "see, even the English love my beloved hero Mitt the twit".

However, i'll make you a deal, keep him to yourselves and i won't comment on him again.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
OP's initial premise-inaction on Iran-is patently false. Our embargo is sqeezing Iran-and especially it's leadership hard right now. Look at their insane inflation rate. An invasion or bombing raid would have a major undesired negative effect-Iranian citizens would naturally flock to support their government (no matter how hated) against the foreigners.

OP unfortunately falls into the same hypersimplistic "analysis" of foreign matters that currently passes as Romney's wisdom.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Texashiker

"obama would not even meet with Netanyahu while Netanyahu was in New York to speak at the UN"

And you never considered that it was an attempt to tone down the saber rattling (which seemed to happen)?

That it was a tactic to deny a media opportunity that was calculated to raise pressure in the U.S. to take military action?

That Obama met with no leaders so as to not make it a public, personal rebuke?

Seems like well thought out, high quality diplomacy to me. And effective to boot.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
OP unfortunately falls into the same hypersimplistic "analysis" of foreign matters

It is simple, as long as iran has a lifeline (russia, china and india), iran will continue its nuclear program.

How well did sanctions work against cuba? How about vietnam?

As for the inflation, and unrest, people will adapt.

Jun 26, 2007
OP's initial premise-inaction on Iran-is patently false. Our embargo is sqeezing Iran-and especially it's leadership hard right now. Look at their insane inflation rate. An invasion or bombing raid would have a major undesired negative effect-Iranian citizens would naturally flock to support their government (no matter how hated) against the foreigners.

OP unfortunately falls into the same hypersimplistic "analysis" of foreign matters that currently passes as Romney's wisdom.

Very true, if the people aren't feeling that they are the ones getting their voice heard and fighting for their own cause then it is damn near impossible to end up with anything but yet another nation that hates us (NATO) for interfering with their nation.

Most people are nationalistic and don't see outside forces that bomb their country to sheit as liberators.

Jun 26, 2007
It is simple, as long as iran has a lifeline (russia, china and india), iran will continue its nuclear program.

How well did sanctions work against cuba? How about vietnam?

As for the inflation, and unrest, people will adapt.

Or not. Did the Egyptians adapt? How about the Libyans? What about the Syrians?

Even though i'm Jewish i still say that Israel should handle the few and surgical strikes, the US has been shown incapable of doing anything like that without people on the ground marking the target.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Or not. Did the Egyptians adapt? How about the Libyans? What about the Syrians?

You are thinking short term.

How long have the Egyptians, Libyans and Syrians been around? For thousands of years?

So yea, they have adapted.

In the grade scheme of things, what we are talking about with Iran is short term. What is to stop iran from developing nuclear weapons 10 years, 20 years, 30 years from now?

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I doubt it, while most may question Obama's true religion, I believe most moderate or independant voters who are Jewish or Catholic will stick with Obama. This election is really truly about not two good choices, but the lesser of two evils.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As I ask two questions of our OP.

1. What Jewish voting block is Texas Hiker talking about? As I can also point out Texas Hiker may be a day or two behind recent Israeli government news. Because just today, Netanyuhu has conceded that new Israeli elections are needed, as the current Israeli government is deeply divided over economic, social, and future policies. As the so called super coalition Netanyuhu put together three months ago is untenable now. And Israeli government elections are now likely due in the in the 12/ 2012 time frame.

2. Or is Texas Hiker talking about the "Jewish" and non-Jewish voting blocks in the USA who will voice their opinion in the upcoming 1/2012 race for US President?

Jun 26, 2007
You are thinking short term.

How long have the Egyptians, Libyans and Syrians been around? For thousands of years?

So yea, they have adapted.

In the grade scheme of things, what we are talking about with Iran is short term. What is to stop iran from developing nuclear weapons 10 years, 20 years, 30 years from now?

Son, just stop thinking, you SUCK AT IT.

Ask questions and i'll tell you, that way we can get this over with without you involving your mindless idiocy.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Son, just stop thinking, you SUCK AT IT.

Ask questions and i'll tell you, that way we can get this over with without you involving your mindless idiocy.

Ask you as question?

Where will Irans nuclear program be in 15 years?

I am not your son, I am probably old enough to be your dad.

Jun 26, 2007

1. What Jewish voting block is Texas Hiker talking about? As I can also point out Texas Hiker may be a day or two behind recent Israeli government news. Because just today, Netanyuhu has conceded that new Israeli elections are needed, as the current Israeli government is deeply divided over economic, social, and future policies. As the so called super coalition Netanyuhu put together three months ago is untenable now. And Israeli government elections are now likely due in the in the 12/ 2012 time frame.

2. Or is Texas Hiker talking about the "Jewish" and non-Jewish voting blocks in the USA who will voice their opinion in the upcoming 1/2012 race for US President?

1. Are you daft, if anything these elections will ensure an even greater influence from Net, all polls are STRONGLY to his favor, these elections are early because he has such a favorable position amongst the people right now.

You just make things up and run with that and you don't care that you are always wrong.

Since you probably wouldn't trust anything else, here's a link from al jazeera explaining it to your daft arse: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/10/201210918522162262.html
‎

Jun 26, 2007
Ask you as question?

Where will Irans nuclear program be in 15 years?

I am not your son, I am probably old enough to be your dad.

Son, i don't call you son because you seem to be a lot younger than me (i'm in my late 40's and right out of the SAS) i call you that because you seem to posses a mind like a child.

Irans nuclear program will be in the same place it is right now, waiting to happen, about that time it will be for the third time and everyone will pretend that it's the first time, again.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

1. What Jewish voting block is Texas Hiker talking about?

Google is your friend,

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jewish+voting+bloc

Son, i don't call you son because you seem to be a lot younger than me (i'm in my late 40's and right out of the SAS) i call you that because you seem to posses a mind like a child.

Irans nuclear program will be in the same place it is right now, waiting to happen, about that time it will be for the third time and everyone will pretend that it's the first time, again.

I am 44, and you are arrogant.

So if/when iran further devlops its nuclear program, I can quote you on irans program not progressing?

Jun 26, 2007
I am 44, and you are arrogant.

So you are younger than me and still have the brains of a 13 year old...

I've fought in five wars and countless conflicts, i'm a grandfather and i've earned the right to be as arrogant as i want to be when it comes to one of you retarded armchair generals screaming that i should go to war again for no good reason...

So if/when iran further devlops its nuclear program, I can quote you on irans program not progressing?

What i'm saying is that they will never fully develop that program but there need not be any major conflict over it.

I really didn't think i'd have to spell out every syllable to a 44 year old man but perhaps you're exceptionally stupid?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Will inaction on Iran swing the Jewish vote?

IDK. But I got curious and looked up the Jewish population state-by-state. Overall they are only a little more than 2% of the population, but some states have higher concentrations.

Some states with larger % population seem so solidly Democrat I don't think they could make any difference even if they were inclined to vote for Romney in large numbers. OTOH, they could certainly be a factor in FL.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/usjewpop.html

Fern

Jun 26, 2007
IDK. But I got curious and looked up the Jewish population state-by-state. Overall they are only a little more than 2% of the population, but some states have higher concentrations.

Some states with larger % population seem so solidly Democrat I don't think they could make any difference even if they were inclined to vote for Romney in large numbers. OTOH, they could certainly be a factor in FL.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/usjewpop.html

Fern

Oh man, 2% is the dream, over here there is me and some other guys and that is it, meanwhile there are 93% Muslims if you ask the EDL...

And every black man is an immigrant if you ask Spidey, even those who have lived here in families that date back from the 1600's, yeah, he made that argument and left that thread.

So... all in all we have 960% Brits, 120% immigrants 13200% Muslims and me and some other guys.

If you ask the EDL or Spidey that is.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

Sorry if I missed it in one of your previous posts, but why do you believe that Iran will be unsuccessful developing nukes this time?

Fern

Jun 26, 2007
It is than why do we kill 10 women and children for every 1 combatant in the war ?

You're talking to someone who have stood in the middle of it and marked targets to ensure precision.

You should probably ask someone who hates the US and it's military instead for an answer that will satisfy your hatred.

If you re read my posting history i have ALWAYS been against the drone attacks and ALWAYS argued for what we did, the markings could be canceled in seconds and nothing would happen, with drones you cannot get that accuracy.

But we're a dying breed, future wars will require less casualties on our side and a LOT more civilian casualties, to me that is terrorism and nothing more.

I'm fairly sure if you asked EagleKeeper he'd agree on that, you can't replace humans and expect that it will work well in a zone where human instinct means everything.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
It's amazing how eager neo-conservatives are to send American troops to war without so much of a thought on real diplomacy.

Chicken-hawks.