Will Hillary retire after she wins?

Will Hillary run for a second term (assuming she wins a first term)?

• Yes! She wants the first woman President to be a two-term President.

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No. She'll be too old and tired and/or unpopular to run for a second term.

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I've heard that, whoever the next President is, they will be the oldest ever elected. So, presuming Hillary is elected President this year, do you think she will run again in 2020? Or do you think she'll retire and let someone else run?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'd guess her preference would be to serve two terms, but how heavily the first term weighs on her could be a major factor.
Seems a BIT DAMN EARLY TO SPECULATE ON 2020 :rage:

Feb 10, 2000
She is just a hair older than Reagan was when he was elected for the first time, and he served two terms. On the other hand, history suggests he may have been well into senile dementia in his second term, so it's hardly a resounding endorsement for the idea of an 84-88 year old President. My sense is that her inclination to run again would depend on who else is evident on the landscape of potential candidates for both parties, and what she sees as her likelihood of winning re-election. I could conceive of her electing not to run in favor of a younger, more appealing Democrat if she felt that was necessary for the party to hold the White House. Other things being equal, though, she, like every other President, seems pretty power-hungry, so it would probably take some convincing to dissuade her from running again.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You should have added as a voting option -- She will go senile and nuke Russia......

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I'd say it would depend on how the first term went. If it was a real shit-show with little getting by a locked up congress, she would be wise to bail. On the other hand if some things were getting accomplished and on track to get more done, it would be very hard not to keep going.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
So long as she is of sound mind (unlike Reagan, as mentioned above), she will run for a second term. We should all be so fortunate, as the best the GOP has to offer currently is Strom Thurmond's reanimated corpse.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I don't think she will run again actually. This win will be the culmination of a long career. 8 years in office is a long time for anyone. I'm guessing she will want to retire - I would.

Reactions: skyking