Will Georgia indict? May find out tonight! Update: Posted Jan 9 finally indicted Aug 14.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I get that, but a raid gives the impression that Trump is dangerous. They showed up the first time with automatic weapons and body armor, they need to top that to demonstrate how serious the crime is.
Optics are important in establishing that Trump is dangerous as well. A fat old white guy with a bad spray tan walking into the local PD doesn't impart a dangerous criminal persona. They need scary black weapons, body armor, and all the hardware they can round up so we all know how serious the situation is. Trump is dangerous criminal and needs to be treated as such. That's also why the arrest was leaked, they need to make sure there is plenty of media in attendance to report on the event.

Edit: I will come back and admit I was wrong should the event not unfold as predicted.
Prepare to admit to being wrong, haha. He is not getting raided.

When you are wrong you might also want to consider why you thought this would happen.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Prepare to admit to being wrong, haha. He is not getting raided.

When you are wrong you might also want to consider why you thought this would happen.
I already know why I think it will happen, it's theater. It establishes how serious the situation is.
Go back and look at the video of the first raid, that was a show that P.T. Barnum would have been proud of.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I already know why I think it will happen, it's theater. It establishes how serious the situation is.
Go back and look at the video of the first raid, that was a show that P.T. Barnum would have been proud of.
You do realize the public would not have even known about the mar a Lago raid unless Trump publicized it, right? You’re proving my point.

Like, the government went out of its way to not make it a big show. Not sure where you’re getting your information from but you’ve been misled.

Reactions: iRONic and hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How did he get them to show up in force with automatic weapons?
He didn’t. You said the raid was a ‘show’. If it was a show why did the government not tell anyone about it, with it only coming out when TRUMP brought it up?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
By not returning top secret nuclear documents???
Yeah it’s weird how conservatives have convinced themselves that somehow law enforcement is out to get Trump when he has gotten wildly preferential treatment at every step.

The government has gone way out of its way not to make this a show, and they will continue that here.

Also, ‘in force?’ Lol. They had to search the whole place and it’s huge!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
How did he get them to show up in force with automatic weapons?

By refusing to turn over documents after almost a year of requests and lying about having them and declaring them the documents were his.

This is basic information for anyone remotely interested in the facts of the situation.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
He is dangerous and the part you left out is that he has more than 30 million moronic followers who will do anything he sez; that is more people than Russia can recruit to invade Ukraine and that is Trumps' true danger. now if so many people weren't so moronic the situation would be different.

I get that, but a raid gives the impression that Trump is dangerous. They showed up the first time with automatic weapons and body armor, they need to top that to demonstrate how serious the crime is.
Optics are important in establishing that Trump is dangerous as well. A fat old white guy with a bad spray tan walking into the local PD doesn't impart a dangerous criminal persona. They need scary black weapons, body armor, and all the hardware they can round up so we all know how serious the situation is. Trump is dangerous criminal and needs to be treated as such. That's also why the arrest was leaked, they need to make sure there is plenty of media in attendance to report on the event.

Edit: I will come back and admit I was wrong should the event not unfold as predicted.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Lol thinking the FBI going to raid Mar A Lago and drag him away in chains. If it happens this week, warrant will be issued and ask him to voluntarily come in.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So why has the DOJ not charged Trump with violating federal campaign finance laws? By failing to charge immediately after Trump left office have they allowed the statute of limitations to kick in? I would think that SOL would not apply as any charge was put on hold while Trump was President but the clock would restart when he left office. There are a number of state crimes that are put on hold when a person leaves a state, but can be reinstated when they return to that state. The big question is why is the DOJ not doing it's job.

An investigation couldn’t start until Jan 21 2021. It would take time coming into office to get setup let alone begin investigating Trump

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Lol thinking the FBI going to raid Mar A Lago and drag him away in chains. If it happens this week, warrant will be issued and ask him to voluntarily come in.

LOL Trump will do this:

"Commander of the Proud Boys and Neo Nazis..

The time has come.. Execute Order 666!"

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
An investigation couldn’t start until Jan 21 2021. It would take time coming into office to get setup let alone begin investigating Trump

No. The DoJ guidance applies to charging/indicting a sitting president. Not investigating.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No. The DoJ guidance applies to charging/indicting a sitting president. Not investigating.

That order would come from the AG who didn’t start u til March 2021. You know Barr would not authorize that investigation.

Not to say Garland shouldn’t have moved faster

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
That order would come from the AG who didn’t start u til March 2021. You know Barr would not authorize that investigation.

Not to say Garland shouldn’t have moved faster

There were DoJ based, Trump focused investigations during his administration.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
More things keep turning up. Trump lawyers having conflict of interest, say it's not so.

Willis’ concerns about the legal representation of the false electors is not new. She raised an alarm in November that some of them might have different degrees of legal exposure and could be called on to testify against each other or otherwise have interests that would require separate representation. At the time, the judge overseeing the matter, Robert McBurney, permitted 10 of the electors to remain represented by a single attorney. But he agreed to require another, Georgia Republican Party Chair David Shafer, to get separate representation because his degree of criminal exposure appeared to be greater than the others.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
More things keep turning up. Trump lawyers having conflict of interest, say it's not so.

Willis’ concerns about the legal representation of the false electors is not new. She raised an alarm in November that some of them might have different degrees of legal exposure and could be called on to testify against each other or otherwise have interests that would require separate representation. At the time, the judge overseeing the matter, Robert McBurney, permitted 10 of the electors to remain represented by a single attorney. But he agreed to require another, Georgia Republican Party Chair David Shafer, to get separate representation because his degree of criminal exposure appeared to be greater than the others.
Yea this abuse of lawyers by the right is a bit concerning. We've seen this now in multiple cases where the lawyers encourage clients to break the law. We saw this during Jan 6 hearings; and Fox/Dominion trial; here as well as other places. For real these lawyers need to see serious time in jail to stop this bullcrap (charge would of course be obstruction ).

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yea this abuse of lawyers by the right is a bit concerning. We've seen this now in multiple cases where the lawyers encourage clients to break the law. We saw this during Jan 6 hearings; and Fox/Dominion trial; here as well as other places. For real these lawyers need to see serious time in jail to stop this bullcrap (charge would of course be obstruction ).
they need more than just charges, they need to lose their law license permanently

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Fani Willis just announced for every law enforcement officer in Fulton County to be ready July11 - Sep 1
The odds of Trump being indicted there are very high, although I don’t know why she would announce this months in advance.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The odds of Trump being indicted there are very high, although I don’t know why she would announce this months in advance.
Because unlike Jan 6 she's not going to be left holding the bag if Fulton Country court gets overrun by Trump loving skinheads. She's announcing in public, way ahead of time, "have yo shit ready". That's a wide enough date range not to give MAGAts specifics to plan.