Will Georgia indict? May find out tonight! Update: Posted Jan 9 finally indicted Aug 14.

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
What a load of bull crap from Eric Trump. They didn't just charge foreign officials for the drink, they made them pay 10x what the actual drink is worth. It was a fucking open secret the damn Trump family was using their hotel as a money machine for access to the office of the POTUS. The shitty conservatives declined to investigate of course.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
What a load of bull crap from Eric Trump. They didn't just charge foreign officials for the drink, they made them pay 10x what the actual drink is worth. It was a fucking open secret the damn Trump family was using their hotel as a money machine for access to the office of the POTUS. The shitty conservatives declined to investigate of course.
Of course - but when hunter does the same thing (without his father's blessing - unlike Eric); it is a federal crime that has to be investigated for 4 years.

Reactions: hal2kilo and dank69

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Of course - but when hunter does the same thing (without his father's blessing - unlike Eric); it is a federal crime that has to be investigated for 4 years.

I'd also add that, unlike Donald Trump, Joe Biden did not participate in such criminal activities. Sure, Hunter did sell access to his father, but it was a false sale, and no access to Joe Biden was ever given.

Grifting Donald made sure everyone knew which hotel to book, and stay in, if you wanted time with him.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Question, If some of the trials are successfully moved to federal court does that mean if found guilty Presidential pardons back in play?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Trump has a fundamental existential problem. He is a criminal and a narcissist. This makes him act criminally and without honor among thieves. He will leave a wake of criminal activities and shafted co-conspirators. His fear will be to get caught or ratted out which means that the he will be unconsciously motivated to seek a life in prison and he's well on his way to achieving it.

some of the truth of this is contained in the expression, the bigger they are the harder they fall.

catchrist

Dec 2, 2021
That's what reported. Knowing Trump he chiseled the bonding company out of their $20,000 fee-probably claiming the publicity they get is worth more than that.

You think a real billionaire would deposit the full $200k and avoid the bond fees.
You would think so.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
There are other reasons, jury pool, types of defense, no TV.
Yeah... But those are minor issues.

The only game he really has is to delay, win wh, then self pardon.

I don't believe any of those other lying fuckers running in the primary would be in a rush to pardon him before they are in their second term.

Any convictions anywhere should legally disqualify him from office and it's game over.
No idiot electorate could bail him out.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

I don't believe any of those other lying fuckers running in the primary would be in a rush to pardon him before they are in their second term.

Any convictions anywhere should legally disqualify him from office and it's game over.

Unfortunately, he could be convicted on ALL charges pending in NY, GA, and in federal court...sentenced to the maximum terms on ALL of them...and still be eligible to be president if he was elected. There's NOTHING in the US Constitution that would prevent it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I was talking about Mark Meadows wanting a federal trial and cameras in the court are a huge deal.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I said this before and I will keep saying it. Donald Trump elected president would make the entirety of the United States non-functional. Not dysfunctional, but non-functional thus unable to function in any form. Believe me.... Donald Trump elected president in no way at any time will become "business as usual". The United States Of America will cease to function in totality. I guess we can not actually imagine what this would look like until it actually takes place. A president Donald Trump would bring an end to over 200 years of whatever this experiment was, whatever it was intended to be. Donald Trump as president? Everyone will be on their own... There will be no rules.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Unfortunately, he could be convicted on ALL charges pending in NY, GA, and in federal court...sentenced to the maximum terms on ALL of them...and still be eligible to be president if he was elected. There's NOTHING in the US Constitution that would prevent it.

Some legal scholars are making the case that he could not be eligible under the 14th amendment if he was engaged in insurrection or rebellion. I should be more specific in that this is considering the charges relating to election interference, not the classified docs cases, or his civil cases related to sexual abuse.

Of course, that's their legal theory and would have to be tested and somehow enforced.

Some claim it would not even require conviction on his charges, but I find that fanciful.

Regardless, it's still another angle the Trump team will have to defend and expend energy on.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Some legal scholars are making the case that he could not be eligible under the 14th amendment if he was engaged in insurrection or rebellion. I should be more specific in that this is considering the charges relating to election interference, not the classified docs cases, or his civil cases related to sexual abuse.

Of course, that's their legal theory and would have to be tested and somehow enforced.

Some claim it would not even require conviction on his charges, but I find that fanciful.

Regardless, it's still another angle the Trump team will have to defend and expend energy on.
You would think that intentionally mishandling classified info would be automatic disqualification from holding any government office, let alone the fucking presidency, but here we are.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I’d only see Ramaswamy do it as his first presidential act.

DeSantis while pandering to the base is lying through his teeth, yeah he’ll renege on the promise. And hold it over the orange monkeys head and make him kiss ass.

Reactions: Bitek

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

DeSantis while pandering to the base is lying through his teeth, yeah he’ll renege on the promise. And hold it over the orange monkeys head and make him kiss ass.
I think most of them would pardon Trump as their first act in office to get it out of the way.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
You would think that intentionally mishandling classified info would be automatic disqualification from holding any government office, let alone the fucking presidency, but here we are.

You would think, then again you would think that the voters would figure this out on their own and not need an explicit Constitutional prohibition regarding putting wanton criminals in power, yet here we are.

You would also think we'd learn the lesson the from the first time and all the red flags, NDAs and plea deals, yet a significant portion of the electorate sees criminal experience as valuable and a priority. It's like the framers put on all these protections for the level of idiocy they thought we had, yet we find new and creative ways to disappoint them.

Last edited:
Reactions: dank69

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You would think, then again you would think that the voters would figure this out on their own and not need an explicit Constitutional prohibition regarding putting wanton criminals in power, yet here we are.
Generally speaking the idea that we should bar felons from the presidency is a terrible idea. Same with voting. A hallmark of authoritarian regimes is to convict their political opponents of crimes to prevent them from running for office.

One of the best parts about democracy is the voters get exactly what they deserve. If America wants to elect a felon then it gets to reap what it sows.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I don't disagree with your opinion of DeSantis, but I'm at a loss why you think he wouldn't immediately pardon Trump. To fail to do so would infuriate the MAGA crowd and would immediately end the honeymoon period nearly all Presidents have when first taking office. Doing so would gut his support and effectively make him a lame duck right off the bat.

Unless the GOP firmly vows NOT to pardon Trump or his crew I fully expect each and every one of them to pardon them immediately. To think otherwise is delusional.