Will Freesync work through HDMI switch?

DJ-phYre

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2004
I am down to a single area where my PC and game consoles are accessed. I would prefer to splurge on a decent sized monitor and have a single screen that can be used for all. My main limitation is obviously going to be inputs.

I tried searching around, but I could not find a clear definitive answer on whether Freesync would still be usable with an HDMI switch. From what I gathered, it sounds like it would with a quality switch that supports HDCP. Is that correct? Also, I am aware that the cables matter as well. I would be purchasing the switch and all the cables needed to connect everything at the same time.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I would doubt it. Hardly any monitors support FreeSync over HDMI in the first place, most of them are only over DisplayPort

DJ-phYre

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2004
Are you saying it will not work b/c there are very few monitors that support Freesync over HDMI?

The monitor is a Dell SE2717H which does support Freesync over HDMI.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
I would doubt it. Hardly any monitors support FreeSync over HDMI in the first place, most of them are only over DisplayPort

^ I doubt this is relevant.

I'm not sure how these switches work... If the signal isn't "processed" whilst going through the switch then whatever extra "stuff" which makes Freesync work will be passed along like usual. I'd assume this is the norm.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
^ I doubt this is relevant.

I'm not sure how these switches work... If the signal isn't "processed" whilst going through the switch then whatever extra "stuff" which makes Freesync work will be passed along like usual. I'd assume this is the norm.

It absolutely is relevant. If hardly any controllers in displays support the spec, I find it extremely unlinkely that less expensive (i.e. low margin) HDMI splitters/switches/repeaters support it.

I'd proceed with the assumption unless the switch calls out Freesync over HDMI compatibility, that it wont work. Maybe you'll get pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
I said what I did because I suspect the switches just use a bunch of transistors to enable/disable different sources (if not purely mechanical), and once these are connected the switch itself is essentially invisible.

The only situation you would be correct is if there is a microcontroller inside the switches which processes the signals and would somehow be thrown off by an out of spec signal. But I don't see why they'd bother with a mic' doing that in a simple switch.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I dont think you can build a straight switch for HDMI if you want to be HDCP compatible. I believe that was specifically prevented by HDCP because thats how you would build a recording device man in the middle sort of thing. I'm pretty sure you have to do some processing at least on the HDCP side

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
I'd assume there is only HDCP issues if the data is processed in some manner, similar to what I mentioned above.*

As opposed to a simple physical pass-through which should be functionally identical to a simple cable.

Edit: *with regards to your example, sending the signal to multiple processors would be a different case than a switch which is for all intents and purposes invisible and acts like a single cable.

Last edited:

DJ-phYre

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2004
I'd assume there is only HDCP issues if the data is processed in some manner, similar to what I mentioned above.*

As opposed to a simple physical pass-through which should be functionally identical to a simple cable.

Edit: *with regards to your example, sending the signal to multiple processors would be a different case than a switch which is for all intents and purposes invisible and acts like a single cable.

This is what I am assuming too. There are HDMI switches that are specifically labeled HDCP passthrough.

DJ-phYre

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2004
Freesync over HDMI needs an update from AMD's side as well as sufficient hardware from the monitors.

https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-hdmi.pdf

Most monitors in 2016 and above should *support* freesync over HDMI once the update comes through. I'm not sure that feature is enabled yet..... or even available.

Regards,
Vish

It is working... I have the monitor. The only question I have is if a passthrough switch allow the freesync to work so that I can connect multiple HDMI sources.

Reactions: thepaleobiker

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
TBH the easiest method would be to buy one, try it, and return if it doesnt work. Please post back here too to add to the great internet hivemind of info :)

thepaleobiker

Feb 22, 2017
It is working... I have the monitor. The only question I have is if a passthrough switch allow the freesync to work so that I can connect multiple HDMI sources.
Gotcha, I realize your question is more complex than what I had in mind initially - Thanks for clarifying this ! :)

Regards,
Vishnu