Will F-22 Raptor beat this?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ya, no contest, but how cool is it that such a small country keeps pumping out decent Fighters? I doubt Sweden and the US are on a collision course to war, so they have no worries there. I think they'd be able to match anything the rest of Europe and Russia have though and that's likely all they really need to worry about.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
Ya, no contest, but how cool is it that such a small country keeps pumping out decent Fighters? I doubt Sweden and the US are on a collision course to war, so they have no worries there. I think they'd be able to match anything the rest of Europe and Russia have though and that's likely all they really need to worry about.

A Gripen isn't going to match a Mig-29 or an Su-27 (or its derivatives)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Originally posted by: sandorski

The US and Sweden have been at war for a long time -- over fighter exports to other countries. :D The US won in Poland but lost in the Czech Republic, though they've kinda renigged on their agreement a bit (or at least slowed it down). It's brutal out there!

Originally posted by: 91TTZ
A Gripen isn't going to match a Mig-29 or an Su-27 (or its derivatives)

Fulcrum, yes. Flanker, no. Fulcrum is an old design already, though some of the very latest variants might have the advantage. I'd have to look at some things to know for sure, but then I wouldn't be posting here if I did that.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: JEDI
Originally posted by: IHAVEAQUESTION
Just saw a short clip on youtube about the JAS 39 Gripen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C37RZlONho&mode=related&search=

What's the US equivalent to this fighter?

More vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX_yCErNKZ0&mode=related&search=

couldnt watch past the 1st minute of 1st video.

2nd video was meh. was hoping it'll explain how it keep costs/functionality ratio low as the years go by.

edit:
"raptor is a bloated waste of money in which our military will never see a return on their investment"

yup.. yeah Bush

What does Bush have to do with this? The F-22 program started in 1981.
you obviously missed the memo
BLAME BUSH FOR EVERYTHING

i'm working on getting the "Blame Bush for the Cold War" campaign going. would you like to help?

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: AndrewR
Originally posted by: DarkKnight69
The Typhoon will be a closer match to the F-22. It is regarded as many as a better air-to-air fighter then the f-22 but would likely be shot down due to f-22 stealth.

Ignoring the unsupported declaratory statement, doesn't the fact that the Raptor would shoot down the Typhoon mean it's the better air-to-air fighter? Just curious.

The griffen seems to be a much more practical and efficient aircraft for the modern battlefield.

For those who cannot afford something like the F/A-22 or even the Eurofighter. The Swedes provide a decent, low cost alternative to US fighters and an alternative to buying from the Russians or the Chinese at a higher cost. Sure, it'll work, but it will die against the Raptor or probably even against the Su-30MK series. Given that fact, which would you rather fly?

Also, no one here knows the full capabilities of the Raptor, and there's no discussion of the power of the AESA radar onboard, especially compared to the current mechanically scanned array of the Gripen. If you don't think that matters, then you should just not bother to post in this thread. ;)

Blah blah blah.. every freaking nerd these days is an armchair general. How many countries are flying F/A-22s and Eurofighters? I didn't see Saddam send any of those up!

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
Originally posted by: Sureshot324
Agreed. The US should've pulled the plug on the F-22 project long ago. And I'm sure the so called "combat excercises" where the f22 got a 108-0 kill ratio against f-15s and su's were rigged.
They're not so much rigged as they are inherently unfair. The F22 has such a range advantage over those planes that it can shoot them down before they even know the F22 is there. You could write it up as 1,000,000-0, but it's kind of pointless; sort of like saying that putting an F15 against propeller planes would have a 108-0 kill ratio if supplied with enough ammo.

The Eagle has amply demostrated that it can hold its own against fighter jets also.
Every Soviet or French jet that it has tangled against in live combat has lost.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
The Typhoon will be a closer match to the F-22. It is regarded as many as a better air-to-air fighter then the f-22 but would likely be shot down due to f-22 stealth.

Ignoring the unsupported declaratory statement, doesn't the fact that the Raptor would shoot down the Typhoon mean it's the better air-to-air fighter? Just curious.

The griffen seems to be a much more practical and efficient aircraft for the modern battlefield.

For those who cannot afford something like the F/A-22 or even the Eurofighter. The Swedes provide a decent, low cost alternative to US fighters and an alternative to buying from the Russians or the Chinese at a higher cost. Sure, it'll work, but it will die against the Raptor or probably even against the Su-30MK series. Given that fact, which would you rather fly?

Also, no one here knows the full capabilities of the Raptor, and there's no discussion of the power of the AESA radar onboard, especially compared to the current mechanically scanned array of the Gripen. If you don't think that matters, then you should just not bother to post in this thread. ;)

Blah blah blah.. every freaking nerd these days is an armchair general. How many countries are flying F/A-22s and Eurofighters? I didn't see Saddam send any of those up!

Hey, numbnuts, this is my job so look in the mirror when you're talking about nerds and armchair generals. :roll:

As for your question, 1 for the F/A-22 and 4 for the Typhoon. Saddam didn't launch any aircraft, but if you always fight the last war, you'll get a lot of people killed. Basing our defense plans solely on the last few years is sheer idiocy.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Stealth is overrated. It does not make an aircraft invisible to radar, just more difficult to detect. Stealth is already much less effective then it was during the first gulf war due to advances to radar systems. There are many technologies being researched to better detect stealth, including other types of radar, detecting the wake/turbulence of an aircraft, and detecting the infrared heat signal from the engines. The more time passes, the less effective stealth will be.

On top of that, the F22 isn't even that stealthy. It's stealthyness is most on the front, while from the sides and back it is much easier to detect.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sureshot324
Stealth is overrated. It does not make an aircraft invisible to radar, just more difficult to detect. Stealth is already much less effective then it was during the first gulf war due to advances to radar systems. There are many technologies being researched to better detect stealth, including other types of radar, detecting the wake/turbulence of an aircraft, and detecting the infrared heat signal from the engines. The more time passes, the less effective stealth will be.

On top of that, the F22 isn't even that stealthy. It's stealthyness is most on the front, while from the sides and back it is much easier to detect.

And stealth isn't used in isolation but rather in combination with SEAD, jamming, and detailed mission planning to maximize its effectiveness against other systems. There's no need to be completely invisible as long as the technology creates gaps in the IADS and enables the Raptor to complete its mission. If the Raptor can reduce detection range and launch before the enemy detects it, stealth pays off.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe

Hey, numbnuts, this is my job so look in the mirror when you're talking about nerds and armchair generals. :roll:

As for your question, 1 for the F/A-22 and 4 for the Typhoon. Saddam didn't launch any aircraft, but if you always fight the last war, you'll get a lot of people killed. Basing our defense plans solely on the last few years is sheer idiocy.

You will find ATOT to be full of people that claim to know more about something than people that work in that particular field. ;)

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Thank You AndrewR, you saved me a lot of typing.

And, you explained it best, sure you cna build something cheaper, but will it win against an F22. No.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Super Hornet F/A -18 would be on par with this methinks.
Super Hornet would probably whup Grippen's ass just because our pilots are incredibly gnarly.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You will find ATOT to be full of people that claim to know more about something than people that work in that particular field.

Did you notice when I joined AT? I learned that a long time ago! :D