Will eVGA replace video card?

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
My brother purchased an eVGA 7600GTS in January of 2007. He was a smoker back then and there's some of that lovely dusty tar inside the fan assembly but it's not that bad. A few days ago his computer was turned off and it wouldn't turn back on. Turns out, his video card has 5 of the 10 capacitors blown up out of the top and orange-brown stuff is oozing out (it's dry now). He has the box for it along with the receipt but not a warranty card. Can we go online and register it with just the serial number, then immediately request an RMA? Has anyone else had blown capacitors on a video card and they made the situation right? Also, if they do RMA it do you have any idea which card he might get in return (I know this is a total guess).

Thanks.

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Weird I've never seen caps blow like that... as in multiple units... in a low power IT device like a GPU... usually it is a big PSU or appliance that does something that drastic.
I guess it could be a fault in the GPU's power circuitry that did it, but if they decide to blame your *PC* PSU for failing / surging then maybe they wouldn't honor it as a warranty problem with the GPU.

If the PC PSU basically works OK and assuming the GPU hasn't been abused physically then they should cover it as long as it is in the warranty period.
Of course the GPU could have faulted and blown the PC PSU / motherboard too.. but.... hard to say in that case.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Email evga and ask.
They are very good about RMA. I never had a problem with anything I returned in getting a replacement.
You would probably get something in the 8x00 line of cards as a replacement.

I had a 7900GT card that was having problems and they replaced it with a 8800GTS.

Ares202

Jun 3, 2007
Originally posted by: mazeroth
My brother purchased an eVGA 7600GTS in January of 2007. Turns out, his video card has 5 of the 10 capacitors blown up out of the top and orange-brown stuff is oozing out (it's dry now).
Thanks.

Originally posted by: Modelworks

I had a 7900GT card that was having problems and they replaced it with a 8800GTS.

if i got a penny for everytime there was a problem with an 7600 or 7900 series id be a millionare

my own 7900gs died three weeks after its warranty ran out and we get at least one thread a week on here about a failing 7600/7900 card, that cooler was crappy but its the capacitors or voltage regulators that usually cause the failure, many people complain about the reliability of ATI cards but they have a much better record than the nvidia cards i have owned.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
They will probably send him something along the lines of a 8600GT or a 8600GTS. I read on other forums that members received these in exchange for a 7*** series card RMA.

toronado97

Dec 30, 2006
I've got a pair of EVGA 7600 GT's that I'm in the process of trying to RMA. One has 4 blown caps, the other has 2 blown caps with a third a possible suspect. Two different computers, purchased about 1 month apart from each other. This isn't an uncommon problem, hopefully EVGA makes it right.

Bill Kunert

Oct 9, 1999
They will probably require proof of purchase-like a copy or the original receipt because they only warrant the original purchaser.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Modelworks

Lucky you. I had an XFX 7900 GT that was replaced by an oddball 8600 GTS which required 5v to be fed into the standard pinout PCIe plug. :confused: