Will current genertion video cards soon have 512mb of memory?

robertsmcn

Mar 15, 2004
Someone recently told me that in the not too distant future, 512mb of memory will be standard for video cards such as Nvidia's 6800 and ATI's X800 series. Can anyone verify this? Will there be a need for that much memory on a video card?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Current generation? Not likely. There is barely enough memory to go around now for 256M GDDR3 cards. GDDR3 is just too damn rare and too damn expensive to do this right now. The fall refresh however, may turn up a 512 card here and there from a few OEM's. My feeling on this.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Current generation= possibly if you consider that 5900's were eventually produced w/ 256 from 128.

as Keysplayr noted, it will be sometime in the fall.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Current generation? Not likely. There is barely enough memory to go around now for 256M GDDR3 cards. GDDR3 is just too damn rare and too damn expensive to do this right now. The fall refresh however, may turn up a 512 card here and there from a few OEM's. My feeling on this.

Very true, word is that the shortage of new video cards is caused by lack of gddr3 chips. I don't see the shortage as preventing either company from launching a new line of cards with 512 memory, whether they will actually ship any within 4 months of "launch" is another question entirely :p

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
They wil both have 512 Mb... I only hope they have the 6800's with 512 by October 20th. That's my deadline for stepping up from my GT with EVGA :p

I haven't heard any rumors or news on fall refreshes????

jrphoenix

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
They wil both have 512 Mb... I only hope they have the 6800's with 512 by October 20th. That's my deadline for stepping up from my GT with EVGA :p

I haven't heard any rumors or news on fall refreshes????

gururu

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
before you know it, we'll be plugging our motherboards into our video cards!

Kobra

Aug 7, 2004
Whoever told you they would be the "Standard" soon is a dork...

512MB Video Cards are still about a year off from release, possibly longer. They won't be "Standard" for probably another 3-5 years... Hell, its only recently that 64MB stopped being "Standard", and now 128mb is.. You'd be hard pressed to find a game using 128 as it is...

Next generation cards might have a 512MB version, but even that is in question right now, and rumors are going both ways. Most people feel 512MB would be a waste, since no games are anywhere near on the horizon that would even touch that, let alone the current generation cards. Let alone grossly overpriced, and they'd probably skimp and not use DDR3.

Fact is, this rediclulous race to come out with new cards is all useless really, if programmers would learn to optimize, code tighter, and utilize existing tools, old GF4 cards would be more than enough.. I remember when City of Heroes was being pumped up a couple years ago, the GF3 got released, and they showed new screenshots saying "UNREAL graphics, due to the power of the GF3 graphics card!".. The screenshots did look amazing, but somewhere in the transition, they got lazy, and stopped optimizing their code.

PC game developers are just lazy and in bed with card manufacturers.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
you will see 5200s and 9200SE like cards with 512mb before you see x800XT like cards with 512mb ram, IMO

Marsumane

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Kobra
Whoever told you they would be the "Standard" soon is a dork...

512MB Video Cards are still about a year off from release, possibly longer. They won't be "Standard" for probably another 3-5 years... Hell, its only recently that 64MB stopped being "Standard", and now 128mb is.. You'd be hard pressed to find a game using 128 as it is...

Next generation cards might have a 512MB version, but even that is in question right now, and rumors are going both ways. Most people feel 512MB would be a waste, since no games are anywhere near on the horizon that would even touch that, let alone the current generation cards. Let alone grossly overpriced, and they'd probably skimp and not use DDR3.

Fact is, this rediclulous race to come out with new cards is all useless really, if programmers would learn to optimize, code tighter, and utilize existing tools, old GF4 cards would be more than enough.. I remember when City of Heroes was being pumped up a couple years ago, the GF3 got released, and they showed new screenshots saying "UNREAL graphics, due to the power of the GF3 graphics card!".. The screenshots did look amazing, but somewhere in the transition, they got lazy, and stopped optimizing their code.

PC game developers are just lazy and in bed with card manufacturers.

You REALLY need to read the hardocp article on doom 3. You will find that the current cards are bottlenecked on ultra settings by "only" having 256mb of memory. You will also find that a 9800p 128mb tends to lag occasionally on high settings due to "only" having 128mb. Also, you are implying that John Carmack doesnt know how to code efficiently. Just listen to that. I dont believe its required that i comment further...

AnnoyedGrunt

Jan 31, 2004
Is there really much of a visual difference between ULTRA and HIGH though?

Since HIGH compresses some of the maps used, and apparently looks very similar, it certainly doesn't seem like 512 is really required other than to brag about settings and speeds.

I certainly believe 512 will eventually be available on this generation of cards (maybe not until the next gen comes out though, and people want to get rid of the old chips by putting them on boards with craploads of ram), but I highly doubt it will be standard in the next year.

Most of the next gen cards will be using 128MB of RAM, it's only the cards that cost $300 and up that will be using 256. Since so few people buy cards that cost that much, most games will still be tailored to run well on 128 MB or less. You may not be able to run ULTRA settings, but you will probably get very similar IQ.

If you are looking to get a card now, you might as well, but if you are looking for reasons to keep waiting, then you probably should just wait, event though the RAM issue might not be a good reason. If you do wait, price will certainly drop and availability will increase, and at least you can reap those benefits. By the time 512 MB of RAM is standard, the 6800 and X800 will be old school.

-D'oh!

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
ATi and NV have both announced that we'll see 512MB boards by the end of the year, so expect 512MB flavors of fall refreshes.

Oh, and tonight's humorous quote:

We'll probably never see DDR SDRAM in system memory, unless Intel releases a chipset with DDR support and that'll probably happen right after they finish that Athlon chipset.

From Firingsquad, circa 1999.

Just thought I'd share that for no paticular reason.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: usernamemax20charact
Originally posted by: gururu

Or we'll have external video cards with a HUGE heatsink and fan.

I've often wondered why they don't put a "GPU socket" on motherboards, along with GPU memory slots. I suppose the pin layout of the GPUs is a problem. It would be nice though. :)

Insomniak

Banned
Sep 11, 2003
Originally posted by: SickBeast

I've often wondered why they don't put a "GPU socket" on motherboards, along with GPU memory slots. I suppose the pin layout of the GPUs is a problem. It would be nice though. :)

I think the main problem would just be finding somewhere to put it and maintain the ATX form factor...

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I think it's high time we got virtual texturing.

I've often wondered why they don't put a "GPU socket" on motherboards, along with GPU memory slots.
$$$

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: SickBeast

Yes, you would probably be restricted to only one manufacturer's GPU's. What I want to see is CPU's built right into the GPU's. Talk about removing a cpu bottleneck, that's the way. I wonder if it's a doable thing?