Will current DDR 4 RAM work with future Skylake based motherboards?

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
As we know Skylake based motherboards will also use DDR 4 so do you think that my current system's 64 GB 2400 MHz RAM will be compatible with the next gen motherboards? That would save me some money for when I want to upgrade in the future it it is compatible. OR do you think it will require higher speed or diff. specced flavors of DDR 4?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
As we know Skylake based motherboards will also use DDR 4 so do you think that my current system's 64 GB 2400 MHz RAM will be compatible with the next gen motherboards? That would save me some money for when I want to upgrade in the future it it is compatible. OR do you think it will require higher speed or diff. specced flavors of DDR 4?

Well, son, Kirk Kerkorian's obituary was published today -- at one time worth $18 billion and owner of most of the hotel rooms on the Las Vegas strip. He was humble, with an 8th grade education; he had a risky job at beginning of WW II flying airplanes from Canada to Britain. He learned to take risks.

I can see the method in your madness. Obviously, you want to get your money's-worth from those DDR4 sticks. So . . . Criswell here, will make a pronouncement, with no guarantees.

If Intel produced a new chipset for Skylake, slated to use "DDR4" spec memory, why would they exclude any RAM modules from a QVL list which appeared early in the game?

I think your prospects are good. The risks seem much lower than buying a pile of Las Vegas real-estate during the time of Bugsy Siegel.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Well, son, Kirk Kerkorian's obituary was published today -- at one time worth $18 billion and owner of most of the hotel rooms on the Las Vegas strip. He was humble, with an 8th grade education; he had a risky job at beginning of WW II flying airplanes from Canada to Britain. He learned to take risks.

I can see the method in your madness. Obviously, you want to get your money's-worth from those DDR4 sticks. So . . . Criswell here, will make a pronouncement, with no guarantees.

If Intel produced a new chipset for Skylake, slated to use "DDR4" spec memory, why would they exclude any RAM modules from a QVL list which appeared early in the game?

I think your prospects are good. The risks seem much lower than buying a pile of Las Vegas real-estate during the time of Bugsy Siegel.

LOL, OK, thanks bro, cheers.

rcarlos243

Feb 17, 2014
I heard Skylake is supposed to support both DDR3 and DDR4 so you shouldn't have any issues with your current memory.