Will CPU-Z show both cores on an Athlon64 X2?

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
No it's not right! As I posted in your Sandra thread, I think you need to install the AMD dual core drivers, and the dual core optimizer

Here

Install the Dual core processor drivers first (next to last one on the page
), then the optimizer(first one), then reboot and you should be good

And make sure you have window XP sp2, if your still on sp1 you need to update to sp2 before loading the drivers.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
No it's not right! As I posted in your Sandra thread, I think you need to install the AMD dual core drivers, and the dual core optimizer

Here

Install the Dual core processor drivers first (next to last one on the page
), then the optimizer(first one), then reboot and you should be good

And make sure you have window XP sp2, if your still on sp1 you need to update to sp2 before loading the drivers.

I've installed all the processor drivers and the optimizer. Still no good. :-(

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
CPU-Z is reporting both blocks of l2 cache though . . . are you getting two processors in Task Manager's performance screen?

Furen

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2004
More importantly, does WINDOWS see the two cores? If not then you need to change your HAL to ACPI Multiprocessor (or whatever it's called)...

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
It's working now, although I made no changes on my last few reboots.

From the beginning, Windows showed 2 CPUs in device manager, but I could tell from the benchmarks and hardware utilities that it wasn't really using them. CPU-Z said it was a dual core, with 1 core disabled.

I installed those utilities as GuitarDaddy suggested and rebooted when it asked me. Unfortunately, that didn't work because when I rebooted, only one core would work. Then I saw that my BIOS supports my processor past a certain revision (even though it seemed to see it fine), so I flashed my BIOS. That made no difference either. I also read up on changing Windows from ACPI PC to ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I renamed and copied the files it said to copy and rebooted, but that did not work either. When it came back up it still was only using one core.

I was playing around with my computer some more and rebooted a few times, even though I changed nothing. Suddenly after the 7th reboot or so, it said that it found new hardware and wants to reboot. I rebooted and now it shows up as ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I ran CPU-Z and it sees both cores. Also my benchmarks are about twice as high.

Thanks guys for your help.

Edit: That's the link I found and used, GuitarDaddy. Thanks.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Does this look right to you guys?

Here

Task Manager sees 2 cores as well. I thought it was a bit weird that the Core selection was disabled in CPU-Z, but still able to verify that I have 2 Cores and 2 Threads.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: geokilla

Here

Task Manager sees 2 cores as well. I thought it was a bit weird that the Core selection was disabled in CPU-Z, but still able to verify that I have 2 Cores and 2 Threads.

Mine does the same thing.

I think that's normal on the new version. It knows you only have 1 CPU, but two cores, so it won't let you change the CPU selection.

I downloaded an older version of it, and it lets me choose between both cores. You can download the older version here

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Ya, it probably is the same. The funny thing was though, that old version didn't read my X-2 properly. Good thing new versions are released every once in a while.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: geokilla

Here

looks like you have Cool and Quiet running aswell