Will Core i5 be the dawn of a new age of Budget overclocking?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
not quite.
clarkdale will work in P55 boards just fine, you just wont be able to use the onboard GPU in that configuration.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Really, now, that's good news for P55 owners. I thought they were an evolutionary dead-end. Nice to know.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Yes, but why pay for an IGP and not use it?
I'm not exactly an Intel/P55 proponent, so I can't say I can defend this with a passion. My comment was merely saying at least it wasn't a complete dead-end as I assumed it to be. Perhaps the only saving grace here is if someone bought the lowest i5 (no HT), and eventually wanted to upgrade to a decent i3 that is comparable in speed and has HT as well? I have no idea at all if that's even in the roadmap.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Far as I understand from Intel's current platform strategy, i3 is going to come with its own board and won't be compatible with lynnfield, in the same way that lynnfield came with its own board and wasn't usable in bloomfield boards.

thanks for clearing that up for me. I just hate it when Intel make people buy new boards for each processor category. don't we have enough already? 1366 boards, 1156 boards, now new boards for i3s. not to mention new coolers for each socket size. but what can you do, they got the best cpu currently and that give them the power to dictate the market.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I'm not exactly an Intel/P55 proponent, so I can't say I can defend this with a passion. My comment was merely saying at least it wasn't a complete dead-end as I assumed it to be. Perhaps the only saving grace here is if someone bought the lowest i5 (no HT), and eventually wanted to upgrade to a decent i3 that is comparable in speed and has HT as well? I have no idea at all if that's even in the roadmap.
I don't really know the whole situation either, but, to me, it would seem foolish to pay for an IGP and not use it. Maybe they will release i3's that don't have the IGP. Either way, considering what's currently available on socket 1156, any one of the proposed new chips seems like a downgrade, so it seems almost useless to keep them socket 1156, expecting people to upgrade (who knows, we shall see).
thanks for clearing that up for me. I just hate it when Intel make people buy new boards for each processor category. don't we have enough already? 1366 boards, 1156 boards, now new boards for i3s. not to mention new coolers for each socket size. but what can you do, they got the best cpu currently and that give them the power to dictate the market.
Well, why sell only a new CPU when you can sell a chipset as well? :) Also, I'd imagine releasing a new motherboard/chipset with a CPU removes some design constraints which would save time and money. You have the right idea though, Intel owns the market and can dictate what they want.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
You have the right idea though, Intel owns the market and can dictate what they want.
If they can offer ~$1000 i7's, not even bothering to atleast brand them a Xeon, and expect you to like them, it's ridiculous, you can bet they can sell you a whole CPU+chipset combo and expect you to keep piling money into their reservoir filled with billions.

I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing Bulldozer would be a steal from behind, to knock some sense of realism back into Intel's pricing. Actually, I don't even care if Bulldozer forces Intel to lower their prices. As long as Bulldozer delivers the goods, and is priced reasonably, Intel can keep their prices high, and I can buy a good Bulldozer.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
If they can offer ~$1000 i7's, not even bothering to atleast brand them a Xeon, and expect you to like them, it's ridiculous, you can bet they can sell you a whole CPU+chipset combo and expect you to keep piling money into their reservoir filled with billions.

I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing Bulldozer would be a steal from behind, to knock some sense of realism back into Intel's pricing. Actually, I don't even care if Bulldozer forces Intel to lower their prices. As long as Bulldozer delivers the goods, and is priced reasonably, Intel can keep their prices high, and I can buy a good Bulldozer.
Competition will surely shake things up, but it Intel isn't stupid. They've been the boss for years (the Athlon64 vs. Pentium 4 shake-up did knock them on their asses for a bit, but not for long) and they know they're really competing with themselves. I really can't complain about Intel's pricing - an i5 750 for <$200 offers tremendous value and performance.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Intel's pricing tactics are kind of like those of drug dealers. :sneaky: