Will Brian Williams Get Newtered Tonight?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Newt is saying instructing audience to be silent is stifling free speech. His deep understanding of the first amendment should make him the Republican nominee.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
"“I suppose a gotcha question is one that’s fundamentally unfair because it has a hidden or misleading premise,” former Clinton White House adviser and CNN contributor Paul Begala told The Daily Caller. He provided this example: “Q: Which Yankee before Jeter had 3,000 hits? A:no one"

http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/19/p...t-gotcha-questions-but-what-exactly-are-they/

I don't think it was a hidden or misleading premise at all. This party claims to represent moral/family values, something Newt's marital history runs directly contrary to. The moderator should have shredded him.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Ajrt3FZCQAEmPna.jpg

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I don't think it was a hidden or misleading premise at all. This party claims to represent moral/family values, something Newt's marital history runs directly contrary to. The moderator should have shredded him.

If I thought that every politician would be held to that standard, i'd agree with you, but we both know they're not.
Since every President goes to a Church of some type should they all be asked personal and rigorous questions on if they follow every one of that Church's precepts?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
"“I suppose a gotcha question is one that’s fundamentally unfair because it has a hidden or misleading premise,” former Clinton White House adviser and CNN contributor Paul Begala told The Daily Caller. He provided this example: “Q: Which Yankee before Jeter had 3,000 hits? A:no one"

http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/19/p...t-gotcha-questions-but-what-exactly-are-they/

Sarah Palin used the term to essentially mean a reporter asking a question that he or she knows the candidate will be unable to answer or will reveal some kind of hipocracy. She started using the term after the Charlie Gibson interview when he asked her how she felt about the 'Bush Doctrine'. Since then it's been used esentially everytime a candidate doesn't like what a reporter asks them. It plays right into the pathtic victimization complex that conservatives have.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Sarah Palin used the term to essentially mean a reporter asking a question that he or she knows the candidate will be unable to answer or will reveal some kind of hipocracy. She started using the term after the Charlie Gibson interview when he asked her how she felt about the 'Bush Doctrine'. Since then it's been used esentially everytime a candidate doesn't like what a reporter asks them. It plays right into the pathtic victimization complex that conservatives have.

In a different thread i'd answered that a gotcha question was something like "If you were a tree, what type of tree would you be?" Which has a history dating back far longer then Palin.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

"Bill Ayers!" :D

Palin loved gotcha questions, deflections, empty, vague, false associations...as long as she was the one deploying them.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
In a different thread i'd answered that a gotcha question was something like "If you were a tree, what type of tree would you be?" Which has a history dating back far longer then Palin.

Barbara Walters first asked that of...shit, I forget...Elizabeth Taylor? something like that.

"If you were a tree..." is nothing like a "gotcha question." It's simply an attempt at a reflective question intended to reveal something personal about the interviewee--how they perceive themselves.

It's mostly a stupid question, though.

Palin coined the term "gotcha question" to hide the fact that she is simply incapable of answering questions related to policy, history, or well....general knowledge.

Basically, she uses it to deflect from the fact that she is an incompetent, uneducated, idiot. Anyone qualified to vote understands why she coined this term, and what it actually means.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If I thought that every politician would be held to that standard, i'd agree with you, but we both know they're not.
Since every President goes to a Church of some type should they all be asked personal and rigorous questions on if they follow every one of that Church's precepts?

The right sure had a big problem with Obama's church in Chicago, didn't they? He got hounded by tons of questions.

Likewise, Perry and his bigoted, xenophobic, anti-homosexual doomsday extravaganza that he held in bumfuck Texas prior to his candidacy. He's had to deal with his association with the assclown that ran that show.

newt wants people to vote on their perception of his morality and family values. He knows this, and you know this. That was his calling card in the nineties, and that is one of the major platforms of the GOP. It is only right, then, that he his challenged by his actual practice of such values, not simply accept the fact that he plays mere lip service to them to garner votes.

Him challenging a moderator for asking a fair and relevant question based on Newt's own purported platform is not the behavior of an experienced master-debator, as he so clearly portrays himself (I mean, that's his main platform--I can out-debate Obama!). The audience acting like a pack of clowns, thinking he is somehow displaying a master-debator's skill, speaks volumes for the yokels that easily ignore is multiple moral transgressions despite his claim to be the moral candidate.