Will ASUS release BIOS updates for Phenom II for AM2 boards

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com
I am getting a tad excited about the prospect of a viable 3.0GHz quad core to finally upgrade to. Waiting for the full reviews on the 8th to come out, but I was just wondering if ASUS has a history of releasing BIOS updates for new processors sooner rather than later, or if I will have to wait for some time to be able to run a new Phenom II on my M2N32-SLi Deluxe board.

I know that the new Phenom II's are supposed to be compatible with AM2/AM2+ Boards.

Assuming that the reviews of the chip are favorable, and a BIOS update is made available I think I might pounce on some Phenom 940 goodness to upgrade my current rig.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
I wouldn't count on Phenom II support for motherboard's based on the nvidia 590 SLI chipset.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
The nvidia 590 SLI chipset is old. Asus probably won't waste their time updating a BIOS for it. The only boards I would expect PhII BIOS updates for are the AMD 780/790 boards and the Nvidia 780a boards. The power circuitry on the AM2+ boards is different than on AM2 boards also.

Does your board have BIOS updates available to make it compatible with Phenom I? If not, I doubt they will support Phenom II.

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com
Yes, I just checked ASUS's CPU support list for my board, and it supports all modern Phenom X4/X3 CPU's. The board has the whole 8 phase power business and has been running a 125W 6000+ CPU for going on two years now without a hiccup.

It is a solid motherboard. Would be a shame to have it marked for obsolescence already.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
That's good to hear. I have the Asus Crosshair (590 SLI) and I'm thinking about getting PhII. I'll probably go to a better motherboard though since decent AMD boards are only $150.

riccardoray

Jan 21, 2009
Hi, I only joined today as I to have been interested in the recent news of this 'Phenominon', especially as it may be possible to upgrade a AM2. I to have an M2N32 - SLi deluxe mobo (Asus). The specs are pretty mundane and are as follows: FX62 dual core - 2GB ram (to be upgraded to 4Gb OCZ gold) - ATi X850 pci-e - Asus dvdrw - dvdrw (both Sata) 1TB HD + 500GB HD(Sata). Finally I have a EVO cooler that is absolutely amazing, keeps every thing COOOL! As for the bios upgrade, I upgraded to 2101 as I too am looking out for the possibilities of PhenII upgrade! Keep in touch. If any one else out there has any additional updates advice on this potential upgrade let us all know - appreciated thank.

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com
Just an update: I've still been searching around and following stories of people trying Phenom II's in Nvidia 570/590 motherboards. Ran across a Newegg comment... that claims to be running the Phenom II 940 on an M2N32-SLi Deluxe board. There are also more and more success stories on the plain ol M2N-SLI Deluxe board.. though some people have reported issues running more than 2 sticks of RAM :S

Pros: Its a quadcore on the Cheap. Awesome power/price ratio, definitely beats out a comparable Intel setup. Runs cool with stock HS/F and Thermal compound* and is backwards compatible with older MOBOS. My first quadcore. Noticeable difference between this and the 6000+ I had previously Cons: I can't think of any. Slightly slower than the i7's? Other Thoughts: For the moment I have it running in an M2N32-Sli Deluxe, with bios update it runs fine, but warmer than it did in a newer board. I had this proc in an M3A78-T but the board died within 3 days, I'm in the RMA processes. *In the M3A78-T with stock thermal compound and HS/F my cores ran 20*C idle, 30-40*C Load In my older M2N32-SLI with Artic Silver 5, applied per the online directions, the proc runs at 40*C idle, 48*C load. My assumption was that I used too much grease, but after several re-applications (with smaller and smaller amounts of AS-5) the numbers haven't changed. I'm going to assume I either messed up my airflow, or the M2N32 generates more heat. The NB and SB might be to blame as they do feel warmer than those on the M3A78.

Anybody on these forums taken the chance yet?

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
probably non of the M2 series are going to get anything... not sure by the way...

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
My friend got a Phenom 2 940 working on his M2NE-sli (can't remember what its called, got 570 or 590 chipset) after much frustration all weekend, although it shows up as unknown processor in both the bios as well as in the o.s.... (FWIW) he also went from a 6000+ to the phenom 2 940.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Ksyder
My friend got a Phenom 2 940 working on his M2NE-sli (can't remember what its called, got 570 or 590 chipset) after much frustration all weekend, although it shows up as unknown processor in both the bios as well as in the o.s.... (FWIW) he also went from a 6000+ to the phenom 2 940.

It's a 570 chipset. I got the M2N-E, which is basically the same as the M2N-E-SLI.

How'd he get it working on the M2N-E-SLI?

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: riccardoray
Hi, I only joined today as I to have been interested in the recent news of this 'Phenominon', especially as it may be possible to upgrade a AM2. I to have an M2N32 - SLi deluxe mobo (Asus). The specs are pretty mundane and are as follows: FX62 dual core - 2GB ram (to be upgraded to 4Gb OCZ gold) - ATi X850 pci-e - Asus dvdrw - dvdrw (both Sata) 1TB HD + 500GB HD(Sata). Finally I have a EVO cooler that is absolutely amazing, keeps every thing COOOL! As for the bios upgrade, I upgraded to 2101 as I too am looking out for the possibilities of PhenII upgrade! Keep in touch. If any one else out there has any additional updates advice on this potential upgrade let us all know - appreciated thank.

Just make a new thread nothing wrong with that.