• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Will any of these reduce ping/make my connection more stable?

GangsterFresh

Jul 15, 2018
Hello! This post mainly for those who tried the stuff below or those who are experts in network stuff, I had 3 questions in regards to improving my connection, eliminating ping spikes, possibly reducing ping?

My router does not support QOS and also does not support OpenWRT or DD-WRT. Should I get a router that helps me with these settings? Is QOS a big one in terms of gaming? Currently I only have port forwarding set up for games and usually get 30 ping in most games so I maybe being too picky here.

Should I turn off UPnP if I am using portforwarding?

Should I make any adjustments to the "Advanced" tab found in Ethernet settings ( )

GangsterFresh

Jul 15, 2018
What is the specific problem you're trying to solve?
Apprently my brother is complaining he used to get "25 MS" and now hes getting "35 MS" in Fortnite... Which in my opinion isn't big deal. Also playing modern warfare and other online games I personally noticed we were getting insane rubberbanding. I thought it was only for Warzone cos every1 playing but Fortnite had same issue. What I did was reset router > set up DNS > turned off upnp and portforwarded fortnite and warzone and now its very smooth but was just wondering if I should make other adjustments to make connection more stable or reduce ping slightly if at all.

DaaQ

Dec 8, 2018
Apprently my brother is complaining he used to get "25 MS" and now hes getting "35 MS" in Fortnite... Which in my opinion isn't big deal. Also playing modern warfare and other online games I personally noticed we were getting insane rubberbanding. I thought it was only for Warzone cos every1 playing but Fortnite had same issue. What I did was reset router > set up DNS > turned off upnp and portforwarded fortnite and warzone and now its very smooth but was just wondering if I should make other adjustments to make connection more stable or reduce ping slightly if at all.
Also factor in the large increase in people not being able to work, and/or working from home, the school kids that are now being babysat with video at home instead of school work. The list goes on, be mindful of that.
That being said, yea 35 ping isn't all too bad.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ASK THE COMMUNITY