Will a Verizon 4G USB modem work in Windows RT?

cgott42

Jan 6, 2002
Specifically looking at the ASUS Vivotab TF600T and wondering if I can plug a Verizon 4G LTE USB modem into it for internet connectivity?

cgott42

Jan 6, 2002
Thanks, I see Windows 8 , but don't see Windows RT
Doesn't look promising, does that mean no support even planned, or is it included in win?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I don't see any mention of ARM at all so you're probably screwed. You would probably be much better off getting one of the Wifi 4G pucks because they're device agnostic and you won't have to deal with the crap that is VZAccess Manager.

cgott42

Jan 6, 2002
Thanks, was hoping for something that could be connected all day, and not require me to turn it on, wait for a connection and then access the net. my experience with WiFi access points is that you need to do that, whereas a USB would maintain a constant connection

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I'm not sure what you mean. The Mifi will connect to the network and start up it's Wifi server as soon as you turn it on. The USB card will need to be plugged in and the VZAccess software used to connect to the 4G network. They seem fairly equivalent to me, with the USB dongle losing points on requiring the VZAccess software to connect and only working with the device to which it's attached.

cgott42

Jan 6, 2002
From what I understand (given that I have only 1 device that needs connection) - the USB can be plugged in, connected and left as is throughout the day- and the machine will have a constant on connection, and being that the USB draws power from the PC, no battery issues.

However a mifi - will run out of batteries in about 4-5 hours, and also will go into a sleep mode, whereby if I want return to my computer and want instant net access - I'll have to first turn on the mifi wait a few seconds and then get net access

Perhaps things have changed since I last had a mifi - please let me know
thx

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
From what I understand (given that I have only 1 device that needs connection) - the USB can be plugged in, connected and left as is throughout the day- and the machine will have a constant on connection, and being that the USB draws power from the PC, no battery issues.

However a mifi - will run out of batteries in about 4-5 hours, and also will go into a sleep mode, whereby if I want return to my computer and want instant net access - I'll have to first turn on the mifi wait a few seconds and then get net access

Perhaps things have changed since I last had a mifi - please let me know
thx

I'm not sure about the power-saving features of them either, but I would think something as simple as 'ping -t 4.2.2.2' would keep it up and if it's got a USB connection can't you plug it into the PC so it stays charged?

cgott42

Jan 6, 2002
How new is the modem? Windows RT supports class drivers such that you should be able to get basic functionality with a large number of devices, then Windows Update will download a device-specific driver (if available) in the background and swap them out.

Building Windows 8 blogpost: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/20/engineering-windows-8-for-mobility.aspx

Brand New (modem) - I'm looking to buy one to go with a Windows RT PC
Just want to know which one (for Asus Vivotab)