Will a speaker mess up a TFT like it does CRT?

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
Hi,
Will a speaker mess us a TFT like they do CRT`s?
The TFT in question is a Hitachi CML174SXW 17"(yes the 16ms one....mmmm)
The speakers, Creative Inspire 5300 5.1
Center speaker directly above TFT by about 5 cms, and the left and right speakers 20cm either side.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Well in an LCD panel you don't have a cathode ray beam flying back to front which can be deflected by electromagnetic fields. So no, you can't disturb an LCD with electromagnetic interference like you can disturb a CRT. That doesn't mean it'll go completely undisturbed though. Signal interference is still possible.

What you actually need is properly shielded speakers.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Well in an LCD panel you don't have a cathode ray beam flying back to front which can be deflected by electromagnetic fields. So no, you can't disturb an LCD with electromagnetic interference like you can disturb a CRT. That doesn't mean it'll go completely undisturbed though. Signal interference is still possible.

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001

What you actually need is properly shielded speakers

Lethal

May 15, 2002
If you're using a DVI digital interface to the LCD, then IMHO you ought to be pretty much immune to the "interference" that everyone mentions.

RayEarth

Apr 15, 2000

What you actually need is properly shielded speakers

HAA-HA-HAA

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
Two things.
What is it with the cut and paste jobs? Originally please. lol
Im using the DVI connection from my 9700PRO to the TFT.
Are the Creative Inspire 5.1 5300 magnetically shielded?

How can i tell if if they are interfering?

The bottom line is, will they trash my TFT, its its not shielded. Cost ive saved up for it for the best part of a year, and dont want it to break/mess up.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
I can't fathom Creative making a set of PC speakers that aren't magnetically shielded. But if you already have the speakers why not place them next to yer monitor or TV and see if they distort the screen.

Lethal

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
They dont seem to distort the picture on the TFT, using the center one.
And the rear ones dont affect my TV either, so i guess that they`re magneticaly shielded