Will a dedicated Physx card help me in Alice Madness Returns?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I'm experiencing stuttering sometimes in this games and sometimes I'm getting 1 second hitches. I'm running an GTX 680 4GB, 16GB RAM, i7-3930k @ 4GHz. Would adding a video card dedicated to Physx like a GTX 650 Ti Boost SC get rid of the stuttering and hitching in this game that I'm experiencing?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Need a little more info. Did you try the game without PhysX and did the stuttering disappear or remain? I seem to remember playing that game on my i870 @ 3.4GHz GTX580 8GB system without any such issues.

I actually still have this game loaded. Would you care to tell me where you've experienced slowdowns/stuttering? I can test it right now if you like.

The J

Aug 30, 2004
You can do a search online for ini tweaks for the game to reduce the PhysX effects a bit. Supposedly you get a mild performance boost with little to no noticeable quality loss.

When I bought my GTX670 I tried the game with PhysX on High. In the Hatter's Domain forge area (lots of particle debris in the air) I recall being quite happy with the performance. I don't remember if I had the ini tweaks in place when I did this.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Need a little more info. Did you try the game without PhysX and did the stuttering disappear or remain? I seem to remember playing that game on my i870 @ 3.4GHz GTX580 8GB system without any such issues.

I actually still have this game loaded. Would you care to tell me where you've experienced slowdowns/stuttering? I can test it right now if you like.

The stuttering is completely random. It sometimes happens just before there is a new sound effect being processed. It happens sometimes when changing directions. Sometimes these stutters can pauses that last as long as 3 seconds but usually it's a fraction of a seconds when I get the pauses. One time I thought my PC locked up when there was it paused for 3 seconds while walking in the game. This game is installed on an SSD. Could it be that my SSD is stalling during these pauses?

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I don't remember Alice Madness Returns that demanding.You have an excellent setup, I believe it may be something else.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
You are right that my hardware should handle this game fine. It's surely not because my hardware not being powerful enough, as an there is no reason for an i7 CPU running over 3GHz to not handle this game well. Also no reason for a GTX 680 to not handle this game well. I have 16GB of RAM, and no game needs more than 8GB of total system RAM these days. This game is even on consoles. I don't think it's my sound card which is an SB-XFi Titanium because it also stuttered on using HDMI sound through my video card. I also disabled core parking in Windows 7. Does the Xbox 360 or PS3 version of this game have these stuttering issues I'm talking about?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I had the same problem with that game. I eventually quit because it was so annoying.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
that's better than my machine, by a lot, and I run alice fine.

Just lower the resolution, man. You don't need 2550x1440.