Will a bank replace burned money?

LostHiWay

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
Here's what happened. I accidently washed my money clip with about $150 dollars in it. So I decieded to put in the microwave for a few secs. to dry it. (it may sound stupid but I've done it before and it works great). However this time I put it and turned it on and got distracted for like 30 secs. When I came back the money was smoking. All 4 corners on all the bills are almost all black. All the serial numbers are visable though. Would the bank have a problem replacing the bills?

SnapIT

Banned
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: LostHiWay
Here's what happened. I accidently washed my money clip with about $150 dollars in it. So I decieded to put in the microwave for a few secs. to dry it. (it may sound stupid but I've done it before and it works great). However this time I put it and turned it on and got distracted for like 30 secs. When I came back the money was smoking. All 4 corners on all the bills are almost all black. All the serial numbers are visable though. Would the bank have a problem replacing the bills?

I don't see how this could happen... paper will not get burned in a microwave... as long as the water is there, it will be heated, when it is gone, the paper will be dry and cannot be heated any more by microwaves... you don't have a grill in that microwave that you forgot to turn off?

Anyways, as long as the serial numbers are ok... they will use UW light to determine the validity and you can get a replacement...

LostHiWay

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: SnapIT
Originally posted by: LostHiWay

I don't see how this could happen... paper will not get burned in a microwave... as long as the water is there, it will be heated, when it is gone, the paper will be dry and cannot be heated any more by microwaves... you don't have a grill in that microwave that you forgot to turn off?

Anyways, as long as the serial numbers are ok... they will use UW light to determine the validity and you can get a replacement...

I didn't think it could either but it did...trust me

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Interesting... I thought youd be SOL. Didn't know the govt would replace money due to user error.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: guapo337
Originally posted by: murphy55d
Interesting... I thought youd be SOL. Didn't know the govt would replace money due to user error.

sounds WAY to techy for me.. "user error". haha

What else would you call it?

shrugs

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I seen a program on tv about this. They were at the treasury dept. and showed how they pieced together the money that was either burned, buried, or mutalated in any way. It looked like a tedious job. I think it takes atleast several monthes to get the money back.

KK

PS You should have just put it in the dryer.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
what do u mean replace? r u gonna walk into the bank and tell them u accidentally nuked ur money and just want to trade for some new crisp bills? i dun think they would do that. if i were u... i'd just try to pass it off in a supermarket or something.

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
Typically your bank will accept mutilated currency if the bill is 3/5 intact. That means the majority of the portrait must be discernable. That prevents someone from cutting a bill in half and presenting it for double replacement.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Handle burned money as little as possible. Attempt to encase each bill or portion of a bill in plastic wrap for preservation. If money is only half-burned or less (if half or more of the bill is intact), you can take the remainder to your local Federal Reserve Bank for replacement. Ask your personal bank for the nearest one. Or you can mail the burned or torn money via FIRST CLASS REGISTERED MAIL to:

US Treasury Department
Main Treasury Building, Room 1123
Washington, DC 20220

Mutilated or melted coins can be taken to the Federal Reserve Bank, or mailed via FIRST CLASS REGISTERED MAIL to:

Superintendent, US Assay Office
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005

If your US Savings Bonds have been mutilated or destroyed, write to:

US Treasury Department
Bureau of Public Debt
Division of Loans and Currency
537 South Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60605
Attn: Bond Consultant

Include name(s) and address(s) on bonds, approximate date or time period when purchased, denominations and approximate number of each.

LostHiWay

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
Well I just got back from the bank. The first bank I went to said that I would have to mail it to the treasury dept. via certified mail. They would then send me new money back. Sending money in the mail didn't seem to safe so I went to another bank and they said as long as they had the serial numbers they'd replace them. I walked out with fresh new bills!

ThreeLeggedGnome

Jun 18, 2002
Well I just got back from the bank. The first bank I went to said that I would have to mail it to the treasury dept. via certified mail. They would then send me new money back. Sending money in the mail didn't seem to safe so I went to another bank and they said as long as they had the serial numbers they'd replace them. I walked out with fresh new bills!

It may sound funny but i believe it's every bank's job to replace your damaged money as long as you still have over 50% of the bill. It is still a legal tender when over 50% remains. From the two banks above I guess we can tell where you would open your account(s) the next time eh.

Citadel535

Jan 16, 2001
Probably not and I am now reporting you to the Bureau for People who do Dumb and Crazy Things with Federal Money.

diskop

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: yakko
I would have just spent them at Taco Bell.

Why not just drink some exlax and sit on the can. It'll save you the trouble.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Isn't that some sort of Federal offense? You're lucky they didn't haul you in! ;)