Will 2008 be the ugliest election ever?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
With Rudy and Hillary running in 2008 I expect to see so much mud and dirty politics that by election day we will all be disgusted with both candidates and will either skip the election or plug our noses and vote for the lesser of two evils as it were.

I think Swiftboat and Memogate were just warm ups for the stuff we will see this time around. Hillary throwing plates at Bill and Rudy living with a woman while still married will just be the tip of the ice berg.

The only good thing about all this is that we might get lucky and see someone emerge between 2008 and 2012 that all Americans can be proud to call President. Just as Vietnam, Watergate and the malaise of Carter was followed by Reagan and his ?shinning city on a hill.? Or perhaps we have not yet hit bottom and will only see things get worse.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
By 2012 the divide in America will have shaken out. The Republicans will be a permanent minority party. (I could go into demographics, ageing population caring about SS, changing "values" which will weaken the Repubs with people less concerned about homosexuality, etc) At that point people won't really listen to what Republicans and their lackeys have to say. So the electoral mud will die down.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: techs
By 2012 the divide in America will have shaken out. The Republicans will be a permanent minority party. At that point people won't really listen to what Republicans and their lackeys have to say. So the electoral mud will die down.
I am sure your dad was saying the same thing post Watergate as Jimmy Carter become President. Little did he know that the Republicans would win 5 of the next 7 elections...

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Too many variables. We may see another terrorist attack before the elections. We may not even be voting in 2008. :D

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well thanks to the non Prof John thinking, he may well be right. But I do have some faith in the American people to see through the spin. Rudy Rudy Rudy will not sell if GWB&co.
can't come up with success.

It totally baffles me, how the Republicans can run 11 nuts who want to be just like GWB or Ron Paul?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Well thanks to the non Prof John thinking, he may well be right. But I do have some faith in the American people to see through the spin. Rudy Rudy Rudy will not sell if GWB&co.
can't come up with success.

It totally baffles me, how the Republicans can run 11 nuts who want to be just like GWB or Ron Paul?

And Ron Paul's support is at the bottom, no doubt.

Jun 26, 2007
I'm not US so i won't vote, but Hillary will win and there isn't jack shit any votes can ever do about it, just like in previous elections...

I mean... they could, maybe, if they ever got counted in a machine...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't know... the NYC media has been going after Rudy non-stop and it's yet to make a dent.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
People VOTED FOR BUSH?????????

Either i am giving up hope in humanity or i'll just ignore that.

Tens of millions voted for him... twice :(

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
I don't know... the NYC media has been going after Rudy non-stop and it's yet to make a dent.
I think that might actually help him in the eyes of a lot of Americans.

If the liberal New York media dislikes him then maybe he isn?t such a bad guy after all :)

Feb 10, 2000
It won't be as bad as 2000 or 2004, because both front runners have their own demonstrable issues and (more importantly) Karl Rove won't have any meaningful impact on the process. Ultimately Giuliani and Clinton have much in common, and won't be situated to effectively assassinate one another's character.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: blackllotus
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
People VOTED FOR BUSH?????????

Either i am giving up hope in humanity or i'll just ignore that.

Tens of millions voted for him... twice :(

I would have voted for Wesley Clarke, ten times, with all my fingers and all my toes.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
By 2012 the divide in America will have shaken out. The Republicans will be a permanent minority party. (I could go into demographics, ageing population caring about SS, changing "values" which will weaken the Repubs with people less concerned about homosexuality, etc) At that point people won't really listen to what Republicans and their lackeys have to say. So the electoral mud will die down.

You seriously believe Republicans will be a permanent minority?? Boy, what a delusional world you live in. The democrats are going to get a complete majority, and they are going to fuck it up just like the Republicans did, because thats what these rich scumbag lawyers do when they get power. They are all scum, and if you fail to see that, you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx

You seriously believe Republicans will be a permanent minority?? Boy, what a delusional world you live in. The democrats are going to get a complete majority, and they are going to fuck it up just like the Republicans did, because thats what these rich scumbag lawyers do when they get power. They are all scum, and if you fail to see that, you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution.

Republicans are permanent minority in CA, and this country is turning into CA. :D
Republicans pissed off Latinos in CA with prop 187, that was 13 years ago, and turned demographics firmly against themselves. Now they are repeating it nationwide.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

If the liberal New York media dislikes him then maybe he isn?t such a bad guy after all :)

They eat their own too if they step out of line. You wouldn?t suddenly like Hillary if they attacked her for her stance on pulling troops out.

As for next election, I hope it stays bloodless. The tone of many people, even in this thread, but especially in other threads in P&N is not a civil tone. It is not one of civil discourse. That sort of raw hatred only festers for so long.

Maybe gaining control of this country will appease them for the time being, but retribution against Republicans and laws enacted to expand the patriot act will only deepen our divide, as their increased taxes and government size oppress our people into further dependence and poverty.

Our descent continues well on its track. Only a matter of when.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

it's true. having lived in the city during his entire tenure as mayor, there's absolutely no chance that they've got legitimate points :p

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Just as Vietnam, Watergate and the malaise of Carter was followed by Reagan and his ?shinning city on a hill.?

Oh, barf at the lies and historical falsehoods.

Reagan brought polarization, US sponsoring death squads and terrorists in the Americas, the undermining of the rule of law with the selling of weapons to Iran, through middleman Israel creating obligations affecting our Middle Eastern policies, to raise funds for the Nicaraguan Contras Conress had outlawed funding, unprecedented peacetime debt and the creation of the Social Security 'trust fund' allowing hundreds of billions more off-the-books borrowing every year, etc.

He did have some positive impact on the morale of the nation, but it was pretty limited compared to the revisionism of the right, who desperately want their own 'great leader' to counter Kennedy or FDR. They can't pick Bush 43, Bush 41, Ford, Nixon, Hoover, Coolidge etc., leaving them with the welfare-state endorsing Eisenhower or Reagan the movie actor. So they create the fictional story of how Ron won the cold war and such.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Craig, you can pick ANY President and find stuff to bitch about...

Kennedy started us down the path to Vietnam and launched a failed invasion of another country.
Clinton did nothing while India and Pakistan both went nuclear and AQ built its power base.

etc etc etc.

The only real way to grade Presidents is on whether did more good than harm.
Reagan certainly did far more good than harm.
Clinton would turn out on the plus side as well.
Bush 41 would be about even, the economy was in the rebound as he left.

As for Bush 43 it looks bad, but he still has a year to go and then another 4 or 5 before we can really look back at his term and grade it. I doubt he will end up doing more good than harm though, but you can never tell.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Kennedy started us down the path to Vietnam and launched a failed invasion of another country.

Clinton did nothing while India and Pakistan both went nuclear and AQ built its power base.

etc etc etc.

As for Bush 43 it looks bad, but he still has a year to go and then another 4 or 5 before we can really look back at his term and grade it. I doubt he will end up doing more good than harm though, but you can never tell.

:confused:

I can't see how even being paid can be so delusional.

Neither Kennedy or Clinton started false war's.

Only your boss did that and that is what history will judge him.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

etc etc etc.

John, you're just wrong - do you get anything right on Kennedy? - again. You need to read.

Kennedy *did not* start us down the path to Vietnam, that's simply a lie. We supported the colonization of Vietnam by the French for decades before Kennedy, and it was Eisenhower who set our direction there especially. Big decisions were made about the Vietnamese people, who wanted to be free of colonization; the US negotiated aninternational agreement temporarily splitting the country in two, with an agreement to hold elections soon

Because an actually independent, nationalist leader, Ho Chi Minh, was likely to win the elections, the US - the guys who fight for democracy, remember - refused to have the elections and instead kept 'our guy' Diem, with his bad civil rights policies, in power. Eisenhower had the US paying up to 90% of the French war costs as they fought and lost. He sent the first 'military advisers'. Kennedy inherited the mess in Laos and Vietnam, and he increased out military advisers to a max of 16,000, while shifting our policy towards limiting our involvement to advisers and equipment and transferring the war responsibility to Vietnam. He ordered the first 1,000 reduction in advisers in October, 1963, sending a message. That's a far cry from beginning our involvement in Vietnam.

You need to stop just making up facts to fit your ideology's convenience.

There is stuff to bitch about Kennedy on, but I'm not going to bother since you are so irresponsible as to leave me doubting you have any interest in the facts.

I have no comment on your Clinton comments - it'd take reviewing his role, what he should have done versus what he did.

You say Reagan "certainly" did far more good than harm. You are wrong on that, since there's a good case to be made that he did more harm than good.

I summarized many of his disasters, and didn't even mention others such as Grenada (disastrous in principle, not US casualties), didn't mention his invading Lebanon with Israel (was that part of his debt to them for their playing secret middleman in selling the missiles to Iran?), and his contradicting his tough talk by withdrawing the Marines embarrassingly after a bomb was used; he blew a historic chance for banning nuclear weapons with Gorbachev. What good did he do? Perhaps Libya...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
With Rudy and Hillary running in 2008 I expect to see so much mud and dirty politics that by election day we will all be disgusted with both candidates and will either skip the election or plug our noses and vote for the lesser of two evils as it were.

I think Swiftboat and Memogate were just warm ups for the stuff we will see this time around. Hillary throwing plates at Bill and Rudy living with a woman while still married will just be the tip of the ice berg.

The only good thing about all this is that we might get lucky and see someone emerge between 2008 and 2012 that all Americans can be proud to call President. Just as Vietnam, Watergate and the malaise of Carter was followed by Reagan and his ?shinning city on a hill.? Or perhaps we have not yet hit bottom and will only see things get worse.
Yes I do and I expect to see a lot of the ugliness coming from you which in turn probably will cause others to lower themselves to your level (me included) and post the same ugliness.