Wild Blue - available in all 48 states contiguous states

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Pollock
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
Originally posted by: Pollock
If WildBlue is at all like Direcway, it will still suck. Unfortunately for me, I have several sources of broadband all around me except for my half mile stretch of road, so I've been stuck with Direcway for a few years now. It's better than dialup, but do yourself a favor and exhaust every other possible option first.

If you have broadband within 1/2 mile of you, why haven't you paid off a neighbor to let you have another drop installed on their property, and use a wireless connection to get it the rest of the way?

I was not aware there was cheap wireless equipment with range of about half a mile, nor one not requiring good line of sight. :eek: And the cable is actually more like 1.5 miles to the south, where a second CO stops providing DSL. My loop length is about 3000FT too far from the maximum 18,000FT from my CO for DSL, and I doubt Verizon will be deploying FIOS here anytime soon. One WISP claimed they would look into expanding service to my area (they are at varying distances to the northwest), but I haven't heard anything further for about 9 months. Really, there just seems to be no simple solution. :(

Who said anything about cheap or irrelevance of LOS? :p

Oh, and 1.5 is a lot different than 0.5. :p

I've read about quite a few people using complex LOS wireless systems in order to avoid satellite connections. Check out broadbandreports.com. :)

SandInMyShoes

Apr 19, 2002
Rolling your own wireless link really isn't very complicated, I'm working on my own right now. It involves 3 separate links covering over 6 miles, since there's hills in the way. As long as hills aren't in the way, it's a piece of cake. This project has taken me a long time to make progress on since I had a hard time finding people who would let me put equipment on their hilltop property. Finally it's all coming together, and I'm doing it for about $400 per link. I could do it for cheaper if it was just for me, but since I'm going to be reselling the service to other neighbors the onus is on me to make sure it stays working come hell or high water.

In my testing, I was able to get a 3 mile link with clear line of sight working just fine with two off-the-shelf WRT54Gs and a panel antenna on each end that cost about $50 apiece. In the end, I'm using Engenius enterprise-class access points (model 5354AP1) I bought off eBay for $30 apiece, and sticking them in 2.4ghz Rootennas (an outdoor antenna with weatherproof box for access points, about $45 apiece). Since the access points have both an 802.11g (2.4ghz) and 802.11a (5.8ghz) radio, I'm going to mount an Echo Backfire 5.8ghz antenna (~$55) on the pole next to the Rootenna. Presto, a reliable wireless repeater with great end-to-end bandwidth for $125. :)
The great thing about these access points is they accept Power Over Ethernet (aka PoE), so I can put them outside and don't have to run a power cord to them. I picked up some 3Com PoE injectors with integrated power supplies for $15 apiece on eBay. I just stick one of those injectors inside the person's house on an UPS (a relatively unnecessary expense, I'm just doing it for the sake of the people I'm selling connections to), and bury shielded CAT5e out to a pole in their yard that I have the antennas mounted on.

At the end of the day, counting all hardware costs such as CAT5e, UPS, surge protecters etc, I'm looking at $225 or so per repeater. Total costs for connecting 5 people besides myself to broadband that was previously unthinkably out of reach? Under $1600. That's doing everything *right*, engineered to keep ticking month after month without my oversight, and includes equipment for proper bandwidth management and network security. You can do a simple 1.5 mile link with much less, particularly if you aren't in a lightning-prone area and have line of sight from one end of the link to the other. If you don't have line of sight, even lots of trees are relatively easy to overcome with 900mhz (incurs some extra expense), but a hill or mountain is another beast entirely.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: SandInMyShoes
Originally posted by: Spacehead
FAP= Fair Access Policy... get you mind out of the gutter :p

DrPizza, i'm in the same boat as you... no access to broadband around here.
I was thinking of getting satallite till i heard our power co-op was looking into BPL from this company
The plan includes offering IBEC's standard fare, three tiers each for residential and commercial. The most popular is the basic residential tier: 256k service for $29.95/month. All tiers have symmetrical upload and download bandwidth.

More info

I guess we're waiting to here if IBEC gets a grant from some federal agency to help impliment this to ours & other co-ops.

Maybe see if something like this is available in your area.

Don't count on BPL unless you're in the city. To my knowledge, it has yet to be deployed in a rural area, and likely never will be due to infrastructure costs.

According to IBEC's website, it's already deployed in rural areas.
And the goal of a new entity betwwen IBEC & others is:
The firm's business model pivots on serving the hardest-to-reach customers, rural consumers that other firms said were impossible to make money from.

Infrastructure costs are helped out with the loans from the federal goverment.

Maybe it will never work out here, i don't know. But i can always hope.