Wii + interactive gaming = weight loss?

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Have any of you thought that in the long run the partial success of the Wii may come from the fact that people are actually burning calories while having fun? (for example Dance Dance Revolution, etc.) I knew years ago that Nintendo would release something of this nature after the powerpad/powerglove were released. Sure they were sub-par components for interactive gaming, but a cool concept nonetheless. I'm wondering if some of these future Wii games will really involve getting your heartrate up and can actually help you burn a substantial amount of calories while playing and having fun. Maybe they'll come out w/ something soon that you wrap around each arm, leg, and head that will give you the full range of motion experience within the game. Just some thoughts.... sorry if it's been discussed before. Feel free to flame or whatever.

dj2004

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2004
I highly doubt that anyone will lose any noticeable amount of weight from swinging a controller around...

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Give it time and they will have some kind of DDR type game that uses the remote and a foot pad.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: dj2004
I highly doubt that anyone will lose any noticeable amount of weight from swinging a controller around...

I don't think anyone will playing Zelda or Mario, but I'm talking about future games... that are much more complicated involving running, jumping, swinging swords and more. Maybe a boxing game that has puts you through a training program before you fight, etc... I think there is potential there if Nintendo wants to go that route.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
from what i have heard the controller is pretty sensistive..you dont need to do wild harm flaying just a simple flick of the wrist pretty, subtle hand movements

dj2004

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2004
Originally posted by: SirChadwick
Originally posted by: dj2004

I don't think anyone will playing Zelda or Mario, but I'm talking about future games... that are much more complicated involving running, jumping, swinging swords and more. Maybe a boxing game that has puts you through a training program before you fight, etc... I think there is potential there if Nintendo wants to go that route.

Well, if you put it that way, then it does sound like it will be somewhat of a workout. People will still need to eat a proper diet and do other activities though.

opticalmace

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2003
the controller is sensitive enough that you won't get a workout from it.

however, i'm sure you could flail around and jump around while you played if you wanted to, like with normal controllers...

only way i see someone getting a workout from a video game is playing a lot of DDR

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Don't know about the Wii controller, but I can say that 3 of my niece's have lost weight playing DDR on the PS2.

I don't think they changed their diet much...but I don't see them everyday, so hard for me to say, but they play DDR 2-3 hours a day sometimes.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've built up quite a sweat playing some of the Eyetoy games on the PS2... Rocket Rumble on the Hard difficulty level has you flailing your arms around like crazy.

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
i cant imagine weightloss from this, lol.

But DDR was a good idea.

I can imagine that there are people who have lost weight from this,
Maybe even some AT folk have or know people who have.

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
Nothing beat the Track and Field game for Nintendo though and the running pad. We were sweating up a storm on that thing back in the day.

Darthvoy

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2004
Originally posted by: KrillBee
Nothing beat the Track and Field game for Nintendo though and the running pad. We were sweating up a storm on that thing back in the day.

lol...yeah...I remember how the tennage mutant ninja turtles (2 & 3) on the nes gave me blisters on my thumbs