Wifi works on laptop but not on PC

samaritan123

Oct 30, 2016
As the title says, my wifi works perfectly on my laptop but not on my PC. I can get it working for 5 minutes then it disconnects again. I unplug and plug back the wireless usb and it works ok for 5 min then stops again. I've tried tons of solutions I found online but none of them work. I've updated the wireless usb drivers, have a brand new usb, my pc is 5 meters from the router but it still does not work as it should. What is the issue with my PC?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This, sadly, is NOT uncommon, with cheap USB wifi adapters.

Spend a little more, get a better-quality name-brand USB adapter, or do more research on well-reviewed cheapo ones, and get a *USB extension cable*, so you can plug the adapter into the extension, and then wave it around until you get a good signal.

Or, you could troll ebay, and buy some "high power USB wifi" adapters, and use one of those.

I've got some "X-Media 300Mbps High Power Wireless-N USB2.0 Adapter" units, cost me around $20 shipped each on ebay from PremierTek's online store.

I've got a friend using one of these to connect to a neighbor's wifi two stories up. Although, that hasn't been without problems also.

If your PC is 5 meters from the router, why not run an ethernet cable?

Or, get an AC (AC1200 or bertter) router, a decent one, and then get a wireless AC1200 or better "media bridge", and connect your PC to the media bridge.

I'm doing something similar right now. I've got an AC68R/U as my main router (AC1900), and I've got a TrendNet AC1200 Wireless AP, in Client Bridge mode, connected to my wireless router. My LAN in the other room is connected wired to a gigabit switch, and then from the switch to the AC1200 AP Client Bridge.

I will say, though, that I also have some PremierTek 8812AU RealTek-chipset USB3.0 AC1200 adapters, that work pretty well with an AC1200/1900 router. They cost $20-25 from PremierTek's ebay store.

Edit: Failing all of that, it could just be a USB power issue with your PC, and you would be better-off getting a USB3.0 or USB2.0 powered hub, to plug into your PC (data connection), and then plugged into the wall (for power). I use those as well.

Edit: And if your current USB adapter is a "nano" wifi adapter, those almost universally suck, and can burn out easiy due to extended usage, like music streaming.

I will vouch for the PremierTek PT-8812AU adapters, they don't burn out due to music streaming. They're also more than two inches long.

samaritan123

Oct 30, 2016
First of all thanks for this awesome reply.

I don't (think) I have a cheap one, it was was around 30$ and it's brand new, supposedly an updated model - but that's what they always say. The usb is D-Link DWA-127 plugged into usb 3.0.

X-Media might be a good solution but I'm not sure if it's worth ordering it, since I'm not sure the usb wifi is the problem. I know I had the same problem couple years ago, but it was a different usb wifi. (sadly I have no memory of how I fixed it)

As for the ethernet cable, it's a bit complicated - I don't really wanna get into that now, although if nothing else works I'll need to try that.

But as far as I can tell from your answer the problem is most likely in the adapter? Do you recommend PT-8812AU over X-Media? I'd like to fix this without buying anything else but it looks like that's not an option.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Find a 3FT USB Extention cable and use it to put the D-Link up above the system free from obstructions.

BTW - "30$ and it's brand new", are nice words but the D-Link is N 150 (technology from at least 5 years ago).

:cool:

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
There are two revisions of that adapter, and revision A doesn't have Windows 10 drivers. Of course you didn't mention which OS you are using, so just throwing that out there.

There may be a conflict with USB 3.0, so try a different USB port (preferably USB 2.0) or go into the BIOS and enable "legacy" USB mode if it's available.

have a brand new usb,

Brand new USB what? Hub? Cable? Make sure it's plugged directly into the laptop.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Another possibility, is buy a cheap N or AC router, that supports WDS / wireless client bridging natively, or can be flashed to DD-WRT or Tomato. Those can often be cheaper than a purpose-built media bridge unit.

Reactions: jasonwell90