• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Wifi router placement

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Have an older TPLink C7 AC1750 as an access point (connected with CAT6) for my FIOS connection at home. Main router is a Verizon G1100 that has been randomly resetting to defaults. Swapped the two roles and the G1100 is still acting up so I'm going to replace it with a TPLink C9 AC1900 (has MU-MIMO) since it's the right price for me right now.

1) Is there currently something better for $70? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NF3K74H

2) Which router should go where for best coverage/speed? Main router goes in my office at one end of the house (where ONT is) and the AP goes dead center of the house in the living room. I'm thinking use the newer as the AP but with MU-MIMO don't I want that with the device handing out all the IPs which is the main router? Not clear how it all works, but I can say that the main router placement still gives a good connection for that half of the house including the master bedroom upstairs.

3) Any idea why the G1100 would randomly reset to defaults 4x in last few days, including its password and a manually set IP? I'd like to sell it if not actually faulty.

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Golden Member
Jun 14, 2012
I would avoid TP-Link. Every one I've had has stopped receiving firmware updates almost immediately after I purchased it. They have no support.

The one you are looking at hasn't had an update in a year.

Meanwhile, Asus still updates my 4 year old routers every few months.

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
I would avoid TP-Link. Every one I've had has stopped receiving firmware updates almost immediately after I purchased it. They have no support.

The one you are looking at hasn't had an update in a year.

Meanwhile, Asus still updates my 4 year old routers every few months.
++++

If you go with TP Link, it is very likely you might get about one year of updates from the time they release it (one or two updates total). If you still want a TP Link unit for whatever reason, make sure it is one of their few models that support 3rd party firmware so you aren't left with a device that is outdated concerning security.

A few months ago I retired my 4+ year out of date Archer C5400 router and replaced it with the Asus RT-AX86U. That particular unit is priced much higher than what you're looking at, so maybe take a look at something like the RT-ACRH13 which is in the $70 price range or the RT-ACRH17 in the $90 range.

Tom's actually did a review on a $50 TP Link router recently, so you can see what to roughly expect as far as coverage and longer distance speeds compared to higher-end routers: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tp-link-archer-a7-ac1750-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-
router-review

34.jpg

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Golden Member
Jun 14, 2012
++++

If you go with TP Link, it is very likely you might get about one year of updates from the time they release it (one or two updates total). If you still want a TP Link unit for whatever reason, make sure it is one of their few models that support 3rd party firmware so you aren't left with a device that is outdated concerning security.

A few months ago I retired my 4+ year out of date Archer C5400 router and replaced it with the Asus RT-AX86U. That particular unit is priced much higher than what you're looking at, so maybe take a look at something like the RT-ACRH13 which is in the $70 price range or the RT-ACRH17 in the $90 range.
The Asus RT-ACRH13 is just what I use. Works fantastic, and has excellent range. I bought a second one still sealed on Ebay for $33 delivered back in Dec 2020 to replace an Access Point at the other end of my house. It's had two updates since then, even though it's 4 years old. If you are patient, you can do much better than $70.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
The Asus RT-ACRH13 is just what I use. Works fantastic, and has excellent range. I bought a second one still sealed on Ebay for $33 delivered back in Dec 2020 to replace an Access Point at the other end of my house. It's had two updates since then, even though it's 4 years old. If you are patient, you can do much better than $70.
Thanks, I just got one on ebay for $45.

Reactions: UsandThem

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If anyone wants to run 3rd party firmware, I would suggest Freshtomato, much better UI than DD-WRT.

Fewer supported routers though. Fewer routers probably also mean less stability /compatibility issues, however.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Better in what way? Maybe I'm just used to DD-WRT after using it so long but you just click the tab and set the setting... pretty straight forward unless setting something where you dont' know what it is, then leave it at defaults.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I use DD-WRT for many years too. DD-WRT is like Windows however, it tries to support all the models on the market and releases too many updates in a short period of time. You have no idea which version is stable. I think FreshTomato's UI is also simpler. It's just my opinion. You don't have to agree with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

ASK THE COMMUNITY