Wifi network connectivity wildly inconsistent with one of my PCs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Interesting test results:

I took my USB 2.0 extension cable, which is 3 meters long and plugged it into the Orico hub in a USB 2.0 port. Extended it closer to the router, making the distance shorter by a good 6 feet, and away from the metal case of the rig (the adapter had been hugging the side of the case).

Still using the 5ghz band to download the 239MB WAV file from my NAS to the rig, using the Comfast adapter:

Before extending, ran two tests:

22 sec. , 26sec. Connection speed: 130mbps

After extending (i.e. shortening the distance from the router by 6+ feet, as the crow flies, and extending away from the case), ran 4 tests:

13 sec, 12 sec, 14 sec, 12 sec. Connection speed: 260mbps

That's quite an improvement! Of course, this was just now, there could be interference issues at other times.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
MIght have missed this, but have you tried confirming you're on 5ghz or 2.4ghz band? 5ghz does not do well through many walls and might be worse than 2.4ghz. A couple of laptops and my ps4 might show a 80%-95% signal/bars on 5ghz when out in the living room with a couple of bedroom walls between it (30ft maybe) but it is usually much faster than using the 2.4ghz band. Tis all about interference.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
MIght have missed this, but have you tried confirming you're on 5ghz or 2.4ghz band? 5ghz does not do well through many walls and might be worse than 2.4ghz. A couple of laptops and my ps4 might show a 80%-95% signal/bars on 5ghz when out in the living room with a couple of bedroom walls between it (30ft maybe) but it is usually much faster than using the 2.4ghz band. Tis all about interference.
The rig, which is the subject in the OP (mini-tower running Win10 64bit) was using a PremierTek WiFi adapter and having occasional problems, being lack of connectivity, basically. So, bought a Comfast WiFi adapter, and found it was not immune to similar difficulties on occasion. All the time running on the 5Ghz band. Early on I tested using the 2.4Ghz band and it struggled, so stuck with the 5Ghz band. Now, I didn't retest (using the 2.4Ghz band). Seems that conditions can change, and I'm supposing that interference is the reason for variable results

I have a Win10 32bit laptop about 3 feet from the rig that has an internal WiFi adapter and it's always (I think, not sure!) done quite a bit better using the 2.4Ghz band, so that's what I use with it. I had strange intense problems 2 days ago with its connectivity. I rarely use it, generally only when using a couple of apps that won't run on the rig... or if I'm using the rig's display for TV and don't want to lose it's timeshifting buffer by switching to monitor mode (that's happened a time or two). Then I might use the laptop instead of the rig for whatever.

Right now, AFAIK, I've got a leg up on the issue in the OP in that I have the Comfast WiFi adapter attached to a 3 meter USB 2.0 extension cable. Therefore it's at least 6 feet closer (and one less wall) in terms of picking up the router signal. The connection speed seems to have doubled just by virtue of setting that up yesterday. Only tested a bit. Conditions may change, but I'm very optimistic about it. What to do about the laptop? Well, it used to do OK there, it was probably an anomaly (the exceedingly slow downloading of email 2 days ago)... hopefully. Could maybe do something with its adapter. I think some people basically go into Lenovo T60's and modify things so the adapter gets better reception, don't remember the details.

Reactions: Ranulf