Question Wifi in the basement

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I have my router on the main floor and recently got a TV for the basement. My switch is also now on that TV. The connection is not good and cuts off. I do have a line that comes down to a hub in the basement for the computers. What would be the better option, use an old router hooked to the hub or getting a WiFI repeater?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like you already made up your mind, so why did you bother asking? VirtualLarry is absolutely correct in his answer and assessment. Wired is always better than wireless, especially a repeater, since it will use 1/2 the bandwidth just repeating. At a minimum put in a wired AP and extend the wifi correctly.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It Not just that Wire is Better,. It is that in many situations due to the environment wireless can Not work as needed.

So.. if you can not use a Wire, and Extender, (or Powerline adapters) do nor work we;ll get a New House that it is more suitable to your Wireless Needs.

:cool:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It Not just that Wire is Better,. It is that in many situations due to the environment wireless can Not work as needed.

So.. if you can not use a Wire, and Extender, (or Powerline adapters) do nor work we;ll get a New House that it is more suitable to your Wireless Needs.

unless you have a Vizio TV like I do... the wireless is more stable than hardwire o_O

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm shocked that a 100% consumer brand would design their product for almost 100% of consumers :p

still, you would think there is nothing to mess up on NICs. It's ancient tech. Yet this one seems to hang frequently, unable to fetch ip. The wifi one does the same but a lot less frequently. I don't get it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
still, you would think there is nothing to mess up on NICs. It's ancient tech. Yet this one seems to hang frequently, unable to fetch ip. The wifi one does the same but a lot less frequently. I don't get it.

Chipsets change, drivers change, OS's change. Weird shit happens. You might find a code upgrade on Vizio's website, but maybe not do it over the network ;)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Chipsets change, drivers change, OS's change. Weird shit happens. You might find a code upgrade on Vizio's website, but maybe not do it over the network ;)

nope, no update. these people are annoying, they removed DLNA but put in a bunch of apps that I cannot use nor disable. and it's a P65-F1, not exactly bottom tier set.

I am pretty sure it is a soc, must be one of those Realtek garbage ones.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
nope, no update. these people are annoying, they removed DLNA but put in a bunch of apps that I cannot use nor disable. and it's a P65-F1, not exactly bottom tier set.

I am pretty sure it is a doc, must be one of those Realtek garbage ones.

Frustrating for sure. I don't even want a smart TV, but by the time I need a new TV, probably all will be "smart". I'm not planning on using the smart part tho, I like my roku stuff

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
They removed DLNA? Wasn't the pont of DLNA support, to be "universal"? Pah. If they can make a buck off of proprietary "apps" for your smart TV, they will, I guess.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They removed DLNA? Wasn't the pont of DLNA support, to be "universal"? Pah. If they can make a buck off of proprietary "apps" for your smart TV, they will, I guess.

I can understand adding apps, but removing DLNA was a strange one. And I cannot hide apps. like apps that only work if you are in USA :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Sounds like you already made up your mind, so why did you bother asking? VirtualLarry is absolutely correct in his answer and assessment. Wired is always better than wireless, especially a repeater, since it will use 1/2 the bandwidth just repeating. At a minimum put in a wired AP and extend the wifi correctly.
The options I was considering were old router or Wifi extender. I see the wifi extender does have the option to be an AP. That would be a new wireless connection, right?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
In Wireless part of the """Option""" is the environment. So... it might be that No solution but wire would work.

You want to try Extender. Try after all it is not thousand $$ expense.

I have more than 20 years experience with WIFI very rarely (mainly when the speed of the connection does not matter) it is a viable solution.

Many people have a sort of ""Psychiatric"" issue with wires. In most cases it is a Decorative issue. However decorative issues can be solved by Home depot extended availability of Molding.

It takes more work than just plug in a little plastic box (aka Extender) but wire works.