Wifi Adapter Recommendations Please!

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
hi i was just wondering...

i know in the past usb wifi adapters were not as reliable as a pci card adapters with antenna for connectivity performance and reliability... but i dont know if thats still applies now?

i need a wifi adapter for my desktop and just didnt know if usb wifi adapters were still inferior? thx.

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
i appreciate the recommendations , but find it a little lame no one was actualy able to answer my question... however i believe i eventualy found my own answer

i browsed threw a bunch of reviews on newegg and a couple replies i found stated...

for Desktops, PCI adapters would perform better because it would allow more power threw the pci bridge apposed to the usb port.

+ my own common sense figures thats probably why pci cards have larger antennas

and a different review stated.. from someone who sounded like he new what he was talking about, i could be wrong though but made sense...
that antenna extentions dont add any gain to the signal, it actualy makes performance a little worse because the lag from the extension or whatever, however allows people to position the antenna in a more receptive area witch inturn is beneficial despite any performance loss due to the extension if thats the only way to gain a position for optimal signal reception.

not the reviewers words lol... just my own interpretation, not going to look them back up.
--------------------------------------

anyway, ended up just getting this one... cause its the cheapest, cause the free shipping.. reviews werent to bad either, so it should work im assuming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...3166021&Tpk=RNX-G300LX

but thx again. and any info others have to add to this subject id like to be posted even though iv already found the item im looking for.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
USB2.0 Wireless adapters work well, there is No reason to avoid them.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
For a computer that is going to be further away, IE down in the 1-2 bar range I would get an internal card. Otherwise the USB ones work fine and allow universal use.