wife wants a seperation, part II

joecool

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2001
If you didn't read my earlier post, things haven't been great in my marriage and while back my wife suggested a seperation. In the interest of full disclosure, I have been diagnosed as having bipolar disorder, and the last few years have been tough trying to find the right combination of meds to treat it. I was pretty bumed, and also concerned that if I moved out, the only next step would be divorce. I pretty much threw myself at her feet, told her I wasn't moving out, and told her I'd do anything to make it work. For a few weeks things seemed to be getting better.

However, tonight I learned that she had seen a lawyer about our "situation" and she told me flat out she could force me to leave. Right now I feel like I've been run over by a Mac truck. Here I've been, stupid, trusting, believe-in-the-best me, thinking she'd never do that, and I didn't need to either. What an f***ing idiot! In the last thread a bunch of guys said, "get a lawyer, fast!" I didn't think I needed to. I thought I could trust my wife. Now it turns out she's already working on how to get rid of me, and how to screw me over as hard as she can.

So, all you saps thinking about getting married - don't!!! You'll only get screwed in the end, I promise you. And all you guys who warned me, you were right. I sure wish I'd listened. Now I'm going to get to enjoy the prospect of getting bent over and loosing half of everything I've worked so hard to earn.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Find the dirtiest divorce lawyer available. Mabey throw in a private investigator too.

Toonces

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2000
I emphasize for your position Greg. Retain counsel now and see how the situation can be salvaged to the best possible resolution for your children

Mikey

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2006
Best wishes to you. I'm young, but I can only imagine what sort of emotional pain you're going through. Find a good lawyer and fight for what you deserve.

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: joecool
If you didn't read my earlier post, things haven't been great in my marriage and while back my wife suggested a seperation. In the interest of full disclosure, I have been diagnosed as having bipolar disorder, and the last few years have been tough trying to find the right combination of meds to treat it. I was pretty bumed, and also concerned that if I moved out, the only next step would be divorce. I pretty much threw myself at her feet, told her I wasn't moving out, and told her I'd do anything to make it work. For a few weeks things seemed to be getting better.

However, tonight I learned that she had seen a lawyer about our "situation" and she told me flat out she could force me to leave. Right now I feel like I've been run over by a Mac truck. Here I've been, stupid, trusting, believe-in-the-best me, thinking she'd never do that, and I didn't need to either. What an f***ing idiot! In the last thread a bunch of guys said, "get a lawyer, fast!" I didn't think I needed to. I thought I could trust my wife. Now it turns out she's already working on how to get rid of me, and how to screw me over as hard as she can.

So, all you saps thinking about getting married - don't!!! You'll only get screwed in the end, I promise you. And all you guys who warned me, you were right. I sure wish I'd listened. Now I'm going to get to enjoy the prospect of getting bent over and loosing half of everything I've worked so hard to earn.

Not only will she take half of what you own, she can milk you for child support and alimony while you're bent over.

It's still not too late to get a divorce lawyer.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: UNESC0
I emphasize for your position Greg. Retain counsel now and see how the situation can be salvaged to the best possible resolution for your children
:laugh:
You have no idea what the word emphasize means, do you? Maybe you meant that you empathize with him...

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Best of luck... legal counsel is still a highly suggested option.

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
I agree... get a lawyer FAST. Get a PI too... this is gonna get dirty, quick.

LookingGlass

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2005
Alimony laws vary from state to state. Do the homework to findout your rights, don't let her bully you. You have to go the legal route in order for her to *throw* you out, that could take months. She just can't *throw* you out, unless there is some legality to your own state. It will take a court order to get you out, if you do not go voluntarily.

I've seen this happen, trust me, I know. GET A lawyer.

S

SlitheryDee

How can she force you to leave the house? She's the one who wants to separate, so let her separate while you stay where you are...

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
How can she force you to leave the house? She's the one who wants to separate, so let her separate while you stay where you are...

Its called a "move away" or "stay away" order, the person requesting the dissolution or seperation as just as much of a right to file the motion as the opposing party.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I agree, time for mudslinging and dirty tactics, find out who has the reputation for being THE dirtiest lawyer in the city.

Get a PI and sniff out all of her dirty laundry, find out if she's been cheating on you, or any other potential snafus she may have made.

She just soundds like a colossal biatch.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
>what the hell does one party cheating have anything to do with anything

Might affect alimony, custody of kids, etc..

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: LookingGlass
She can file a court order to have you thrown out, just depends on what she wants to spend.

Then he needs to hide as many assets as he can as quickly as he can, unless the bitch has already grabbed it all, and stop making the house payment or rent. Force here to spend money on lawyers to get him to do anything then. It is very important these days to have a private account the minute you get married. Preferably with your spouse having no knowledge of it and then you can sock money away for events just like this.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
it's sad how loved ones can turn out to be so cruel. i feel for you OP. best of luck

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
Take it as low and dirty as you can before she does. You're gonna get screwed, but at least make sure she's equally screwed. Spend it all on the lawyers so there's nothing left.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Aharami
it's sad how loved ones can turn out to be so cruel. i feel for you OP. best of luck

Much of the time "love" is just a bunch of fake feelings and BS. Not to say there isn't true love, but there certainly isn't in the OP's case.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Sorry you didn't get more responses from people in your previous thread suggesting to get a lawyer.

There's obviously more going on than you know about. Perhaps if you stated why she had said she wanted a divorce that would have helped solicit better advice.

It sucks to hear its going that route. Do what you gotta do now, its not too late.

And btw, get a lawyer.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
How come he's the one that has to be forced out and not the other way around?

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: ChaoZ
How come he's the one that has to be forced out and not the other way around?

That is why it is beneficial to the man to OWN the house prior to getting married and then she cannot force you out of YOUR house. You can even get out of giving her half the equity with a good lawyer and prenup. Any man who blindly walks into a marriage these days without thinking about all this stuff up front and protecting his ass is a fool.