Wife thinking of switching from Nexus 5 to Galaxy S6

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
She's got the option to get the latter as a freebie with her mobile contract. Are there any issues with it that we ought to be aware of, or disadvantages compared to the N5?

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Should be a nice upgrade. Much better camera, and battery life (though S6 has poor battery life in general).

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I assume there's a catch to that "freebie"?

The short version: No. She would pay the same as she paid before but she gets a new phone every 2 years and double the mobile data allowance she did before.

Longer version: Not really, as far as my wife is concerned. She's in a contract that originally entitled her to a phone (which she received), then I bought her an N5 when the old phone proved a miserable failure, then two years went by on that contract (which entitles her to a new phone).

My mind boggles at paying £30/month for mobile access, but then I like a high end smartphone even though my needs are minimal, so it makes more sense for me to buy a phone myself and then couple it with a minimal tariff (I pay half of what my wife pays per month). My wife on the other hand has been using all her mobile data allowance and then a little more and paying the extra for it, whereas this tariff gives her double the mobile data allowance she previously had at the same cost as she's been paying in total.

Before anyone asks, there's no point in us shopping around for another provider in the hopes of a better deal since we live in a part of the UK where all the other providers have significantly worse reception than the one we're with.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Worse than the n5?
I would say the S6 is better in terms of battery life. You have quick charge on the S6, which helps as well. I will say, I haven't used either device on Marshmallow, which introduced Doze (should help on standby life).

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
The other option is to get the contract phone, sell it, and use the proceeds to buy something different.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My wife went for it today. The only slip-up on our part was that I thought the S6 had a MicroSD card slot; apparently it doesn't. Still, it has twice the storage her N5 has, so I guess it's all good.