Wierd G-Sync behavior

tincmulc

Jul 12, 2013
I have an Acer XB240H 144Hz G-Sync monitor.
I have mostly been using it with my desktop computer with a GTX770. I have now started using the monitor connected to my laptop which has a GTX970m. Here is the problem:

On the old computer, G-Sync worked as expected. The monitor built in frame rate indicator always tracked pretty well the reported in game framerate and everything was smooth. This was also true for very low framerates. On the laptop however, only when framerates are high does it work as expected, but for framerates below about 60, the indicator now shows framerates higher than reported ingame. For example using the pendulum demo and limiting it to 30 fps, the indicator shows 70+ fps. As far as I can tell, this happens in all games as well. What bothers me is that indicator is never a multiple of the actual framerate, and even if the framerate is stable the indicator still dances around the 70-80 region all the time.

Where the new behavior is worst is setting the pendulum demo to 20fps. I remember from the old computer that the screen had this flicker whenever the fps changed significantly, and that was an expected side effect of G-sync. But now with the pendulum showing constant 20 fps the flicker is constant - every frame the whole screen changes brightness and the screen built-in indicator is still showing 70+ fps. In the old case it would only flicker after limiting the framerate and then stabilize.

Why is the indicator not showing low framerates? Is the GPU doubling the frames instead of letting the screen handle it for itself? Is G-sync different on Maxwell compared to Kepler?

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
the 970m needs an E-DP connection with a G-sync enabled Vbios

I have 980m and had to do this. Double check your laptop has Gsync capability, if not use custom g-sync bios and connect thru displayport or thunderbolt

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
This could be a result of how Nvidia will show the same frame multiple times if the frame rate is ~40 or lower. So the meter is doubling and tripling frames to prevent the flicker. As far as the flickering goes, there is obviously something not working right with the system when done on a laptop.

tincmulc

Jul 12, 2013
In case it wasn't clear from the post, I'm using an external monitor, the Acer XB240H. Laptop does not support G-Sync with the built in display. It works fine over displayport for high framerates. It is only weird when the framerate is low.

I guess the real question is why does this not happen on the GTX 770 and whether there a way disable this frame doubling on the 970m.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
You want the frame doubling. This is designed to prevent flickering. The problem seems to be either with the 970m being a mobile version or the software from Nvidia. I'd recommend trying new drivers and contacting Nvidia.

tincmulc

Jul 12, 2013
I think I understand now. The point of the doubling is to prevent some minor flickering for things like loading screens. If done correctly it should be strictly better than no frame doubling. There just seems to be something wrong in my specific configuration to make it constantly flicker with specific settings in the pendulum demo. I was not able to reproduce said flickering in any game, I was just confused about the indicator showing more fps than what the game was rendering.

I have already posted on the GeForce forums, but there was no reply. Since there appears to be no downsides in games or video playback, I do not think I will bother with a support ticket. It might actually be a bug in the pendulum demo, as setting it to 21 fixes the flicker and 20 is the minimum value the slider accepts.

Thank you for helping me understand this phenomenon.