Wi-Fi going fast some days, slow other days.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bball1523, Nov 28, 2017.

1. bball1523

bball1523 Senior member

Hi, I'm building on a previous thread I made that I don't know if I should bump (https://forums.anandtech.com/index.php?threads/2525198/). So I made a new thread that's related.

My desktop Wi-Fi has had issues in the recent month or so. The connection will go really slow under 2 mbps down. I have a rosewill wireless 150n adapter. It worked fine for over a year and then recently it has been giving me issues with slow speeds. I wonder if it's a driver issue or win 10 creator updates. My qi. 10 laptop and note 8 Wi-Fi goes fast (30+ mbps down), but my desktop doesn't.

Now recently I did a Wi-Fi reset and it seemed to solve the problem temporarily because it worked fast for a day or two and then it went back to being slow under 2 mbps down. Earlier today it was going slow under 2mbps down, but right now it's going over 30 mbps down. I didn't do anything to make it fast, it just randomly happened.

Does anyone know what the issue is and how I can resolve it so that I can consistently get over 30 mbps down?

(Spam removed)

#1 bball1523, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - fast days slow Forum Date
    Recommend a FAST vpn Networking Nov 15, 2017
    Win 10 PC wifi slow, cell phone fast Networking Oct 31, 2017
    Internet slows down after a day of use Networking Aug 3, 2017
    Looking for the most reliable, fast router Networking Aug 1, 2017
    Fast Cable Speed vs A little slower Fiber Speed Networking Apr 28, 2017

3. XavierMace

XavierMace Diamond Member

Step 1) Run a WiFi analyzer as I told you in your other thread.
    Step 2) Buy better quality WiFi adapters.

4. bball1523

bball1523 Senior member

Sorry I didn't get to that. I tried it now on my note 8 and I was 50-60 db around my desktop and near my Wi-Fi extender antenna.

I did buy that same Wi-Fi card you talked about though I haven't opened it yet.

(spam removed)

We consider TapaTalk "sigs" to be spam, here on these forums. Please adjust your tapatalk settings to remove the sig - Moderator VirtualLarry

#3 bball1523, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
  5. XavierMace

How many other SSID's are you seeing on the same channel?

6. bball1523

bball1523 Senior member

There are 3 total on the 2ghz network. Two from same network (one regular and one guest) and 1 from a printer in the house.

(spam removed)

#5 bball1523, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
  7. XavierMace

I don't think you understand what I'm asking. The 2.4Ghz spectrum has a very limited number of bands/channels that can be used. Unless you live in a really remote area you're going to be fighting neighbors for signal. A WiFi analyzer will show you the strength of the other networks/signals you're picking up and most of the time recommend the best channel for you to use.

[​IMG]

In my case there's the least amount of interference on Channel 1, so that's what I'm using. Beyond that, you haven't installed the better network card nor have you made any mention of booting off a Linux live disk as suggested. So I'm not sure what else you're wanting us to tell you. We can't magically fix this for you.

Edit: This is also the first time you've mentioned a wireless extender. They suck and that's another variable in the mix.

8. bball1523

bball1523 Senior member

The Wi-Fi analyzer app on my note says channel 14 has the most stars which I assume mean it's the best channel to use. My current network is on channel 6 and there are no stars for it. Does this mean I need to switch something to channel 14? If so, how do I do that? If I have to get into admin settings, the router is owned by my landlord and they don't have the password for the logon and the default login info didn't work when I tried it recently.

Earlier today my desktop's Wi-Fi was going over 40 mbps down and now over the past 10 min or longer it's been under 2 mbps down. It seems to be hit or miss. I'll think about using another adapter and let you know what happens
    --------
    Please Disable the Tapa thing when you post to AT Forum we condsider it Spam.
    Mod. Jack

P.S. USA Wifi does not cover ch-14, it is only 1 to 11.

#7 bball1523, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2017
  9. XavierMace

It would help to post a picture of what you're seeing in the analyzer app.

10. bball1523

bball1523 Senior member

Here's a picture. My Wi-Fi is under "shiny dolphin"[​IMG]

11. XavierMace

So, yeah, you've got a buttload of congestion. I can't see read what that top one is but the fact it has a stronger signal than your own network means you're getting drowned out.

12. bball1523

bball1523 Senior member

Right now I checked and that top one "DIRECT-HMDESKTOP-GLROTPMmsR8" moved to channels 9-13.

Also, I just did a speed test on my note 8 and it got 48 mbps down and 11 mbps up. Meanwhile, my desktop got 1.5 mbps down and 11 mbps up.

Over 2 hours ago, my desktop got 40 mbps down and 10-11 mbps up.

I'm wondering why there is are differences and inconsistencies between devices and time of day. It's very odd.

13. bball1523

bball1523 Senior member

I installed a tp-link archer t9e and I'm getting 18-25 mbps down and 10 mbps up. Meanwhile my note 8 gets over 40 mbps down and 11 mbps up in the same area where the antennas stick out of the wife adapter on the desktop.

The good thing is that the tp-link card works at a higher speed than the rosewill did within the past hour. The rosewill was going 1-2 mbps down. The main issue I've been having could be related to the rosewill card.

Do you know what I can do to increase the tp-link's speed to above 30-40 or more mbps down?

14. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

The T9e is an AC-capable adapter, right? Get a wireless 802.11ac router then.

15. Ken g6

Ken g6 Programming Moderator, Elite Member

That's funny, I see two ShinyDolphins. One with ".quest" and one without. Do you have two routers on the same channel? That's guaranteed to cause speed problems.

Also, looks like channel 11 is relatively open. Can you find the place to switch one of your routers to channel 11? Can you find the other one and turn it off? Or do you have a range extender kind of setup?

16. bball1523

bball1523 Senior member

I figure I shouldn't need to get an ac router because both my note 8 and win 10 laptop get over 30 mbps down and 10-11 mbps up while my desktop is currently getting 18-20 mbps down and 10 mbps up.

I think it could be the antennas on the outside of the card not picking up a strong signal. Unless there's a driver or setting I can change somewhere.

17. bball1523

bball1523 Senior member

Update:

I changed the wireless router settings to wireless n only and changed to channel 11 and now the internet seems to be going consistently faster. I also switched back to the rosewill wireless n adapter and I'm getting consistently faster speeds from 20 to 40+ mbps.

The issue may be resolved. I don't know if the rosewill adapter was the issue. I'm also using an extended antenna and it seems to be working fine.

18. XavierMace

Moving to channel 11 resolved the congestion issue I told you to check a month ago. :)

19. bball1523

bball1523 Senior member

Lol sorry I didn't check then. Part of the problem was I didn't know the admin password and waited to reset the router.