Question Wi-Fi dead zones - to get a range extender or setup a Wi-Fi mesh system?

Battousai01

Oct 15, 2002
Hi guys, so I am in a dilemma since I need to spend more to eliminate wi-fi zones and even if spending additional on hardware I have an uncertain feeling that the wi-fi dead zones will not be resolved easily and that I need to make the right choice.

My first option to eliminate a wi-fi dead zone is to just buy an affordable wi-fi extender but I am already thinking of several problems with a wi-fi extender, these are:

1. SSIDs - extenders will broadcast in a different SSID making it not really an extender but another access point, this is inconvenient as the user will need to connect to different AP when they are roaming around the house.
2. Let's say the range extender can use the same SSID as the router it is extending to (resolving issue number 1), the problem here now is that when a user roams away from the router or the extender, it will still latch on to that access point with the weaker signal even if the user is already in the area where the stronger signal is available.

So far those are the main issues I have with range extenders.

Another solution that I came across is via mesh network but I have not read yet how exactly it will work and I believe I will need to spend a significant amount to setup one.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
If you can run a cable back to the router then just get an AP. If your router is old then just get an AP and shut off the WiFi on the router.

I use a nwa210ax but, there's a new nwa220ax-e model out that simply adds 6ghz as an option. Great coverage and speeds.

210/$150
220/$180

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If you can afford it, just get a nice Mesh network. Is it the ideal use case in all scenarios? No.

Is it the best and easiest option for like 95% of use cases? Yes.

Is is sort of set-up like an extender network since the cable comes in at one corner of the house and I have the mesh basically daisy chained diagonally lengthwise across the house from corner to corner (so the last router is basically operating at 33% speed) but it's still better than any other option I've tried.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I have been wondering a bit about this too. Currently the wifi is provided by the router in our AT&T fiber gateway, but that is in the rear of the house in a closet in my bedroom, and coverage in the front is often spotty. Most of the house does have structured Ethernet wiring, so I could easily attach an AP of some sort to a switch in the living room near the front.

I guess my question is, what should I get? I want the same SSID as used by the router, and I think Wifi 6 is important. I think smooth transitions are important. I also think the AP shouldn't be too much money. I believe the gateway device from AT&T is a BGW320-500.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I guess my question is, what should I get? I want the same SSID as used by the router, and I think Wifi 6 is important. I think smooth transitions are important. I also think the AP shouldn't be too much money. I believe the gateway device from AT&T is a BGW320-500.
Just setup the APs with the same SSID as the ATT device.

Both Zyxel units I listed above do 802.11AX.
I use a nwa210ax but, there's a new nwa220ax-e model out that simply adds 6ghz as an option. Great coverage and speeds.

210/$150
220/$180
SSID is arbitrary and up to you to set the name and PW you want to use. Even provider CPE devices are configurable in most cases. The AP's I mentioned cover a good chunk of space though even a single AP could possibly cover 3000sq ft

Reactions: Shmee

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
You want a tri-band mesh network with wireless backhaul and call it a day. Is it perfect? No, but for coverage it's as good as it gets for a no brainer option. The imperfect part is the speed is not what it should be always. The handing off of from one mesh receiver to another when you move around your dwelling is not perfect.

I just tested my ipad. It's down in the basement far from the main mesh station. There is a mesh puck next to the ipad in the basement. The signal is 100% but the speed is not wifi 5ac, more like 5ghz slow speed. If I make adjustments, the speed will be 500mbps down wifi 5ac. The basement puck is on 1gbps Cat6 wireless backhaul.

So I have given up with the testing and making adjustments on my Mesh Network. The signal strength is always excellent and at a minimum the download speed is 80mbps.

TP-Link has a reputation of never being the fastest mesh network in reviews. It's well known for never dropping a Mesh Network receiver. If you go with a mesh network, you want 3 pucks/receivers and a tri-band mesh network.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Just setup the APs with the same SSID as the ATT device.

Both Zyxel units I listed above do 802.11AX.

SSID is arbitrary and up to you to set the name and PW you want to use. Even provider CPE devices are configurable in most cases. The AP's I mentioned cover a good chunk of space though even a single AP could possibly cover 3000sq ft

I went ahead and ordered a Zyxel NWA110AX. Should be plenty, and the switch it will connect to only does gigabit anyway.

Reactions: Tech Junky