Why would the Republican governors be against creating insurance exchanges?

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by her209, Jul 3, 2012.

1. her209

her209 No Lifer

2. blackangst1

blackangst1 Lifer

I have no idea.

3. sunzt

sunzt Diamond Member

Wasn't that one of their proposed solutions for health care reform? Didn't they say that we don't need fed health care cause states can setup their own exchanges?

4. manimal

manimal Lifer

the sky is not blue and the moon is made of cheese.

5. jhu

jhu Lifer

Because Democrats are for it.

6. KB

KB Diamond Member

Thats exactly it. Romney wants to get rid of Obamas plan which is almost exactly the same plan he had in Massachusetts.

Both sides, and this exists at the local level too, don't want the other side to succeed.

7. glenn1

glenn1 Elite Member

8. sactoking

sactoking Diamond Member

That article is flawed. It contends that a state may block the employer mandate by refusing to implement an exchange, since the employer penalties are contingent upon employees being eligible for federal subsidies and no individual may receive a federal subsidy on a federal exchange.

The problem is that, to my understanding, that's only true if an employer offers no coverage at all. If an employer attempts to offer coverage then they are still subject to the adequacy and affordability tests, which carry $3,000/person fines and are not contingent upon federal subsidy eligibility.

It's a fine point, but relevant, since many employers won't be able to just not offer coverage if they hope to remain competitive in the marketplace.

9. Farang

Farang Lifer

Mostly irrelevant, most of these states will eventually elect a Democratic governor who will opt in on the Medicaid expansion. The federal government is going to set up an exchange for them if they don't do it themselves, so they're just hurting themselves in that regard.

I'd be really pissed if any one of these guys was governor of my state, they are clearly putting their own political careers (and standing within their party) ahead of the interests of the citizens.

10. Linux23

Linux23 Lifer

I know fatboy Christie isn't going to do it for NJ. I say great, lets vote that fat, Spago eating asshole out of office anyway.

11. Infohawk

Infohawk Lifer

If you don't want an expansion of government in general, wouldn't it make sense to oppose it in a specific case? I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the Republicans in principle, but it's not like they are unclear about where they're coming from.

It sounds like an exchange is a bit more than a marketplace, which you don't need Obamacare to create. Clearly it's going to require some regulation.

12. dainthomas

dainthomas Lifer

And there it is.

13. CaptainGoodnight

CaptainGoodnight Golden Member

Simple. It won't reduce costs, and that part of the law was written by special interests.

Sounds like even Paul Krugman doesn't really think it's a great idea:

#13 CaptainGoodnight, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  14. her209

her209 No Lifer

15. manimal

manimal Lifer

Arent all interests special?

From a certain point of view wasnt the bible written by special interests?

16. Jhhnn

Jhhnn Lifer

Uhh, no- that's not what Krugman is talking about. Insurance exchanges will offer

If that's true, then exchange plans will have a lot less variability than the plans of today.

Why do Repubs hate it? Because they're the party of the rich, for the rich & by the rich, with delusional wannabee middle class hangers-on. Once the middle class recognizes the benefits of teh ebil soshulism, of govt as a desirable & constructive part of their lives, then the emotional wedge issue fear based pitch Repubs employ will lose its power.

17. cubby1223

cubby1223 Lifer

So, each time the Democrats voice opposition to some piece of legislation, should I create a thread picking out one aspect of the legislation (ignoring everything else that is a part of the legislation) that Dems should naturally be supportive of, and question what is wrong with the Democratic Party?

Is this what political debate has devolved into?

18. her209

her209 No Lifer

Wouldn't be the first time.