• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Why would apple keep asking for email password?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
I know nothing about iphones and my dad keeps getting this message to update apple ID. When he clicks on it, it asks for his email password. It says "enter password for [his email]". This is an ISP provided email and not Apple. Is it normal? Why would Apple need that password?

I'm wondering if he got some kind of scam or virus. It's not letting him do anything before he does that though. He did try entering all sorts of passwords before calling me... but if it is legit, then none of them are working.

Anyone know what would be causing this? I don't actually have the phone in hand... so it's harder to troubleshoot.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
It's the password for the AppleID that was set up with the phone. So the password MIGHT be the same that your dad uses to check his email, but it isn't required (or recommended) to be the same.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.uovalor.com
Oh right yeah it turned out to be Apple ID. It's just missleading, since it specifies "password for (email)". But yeah he figured it out. Glad he did since everything I was reading on google sounded complicated and I did not want to have to do that over the phone lol.

ASK THE COMMUNITY