Why would a flat bed sheet's width be longer than a duvet cover's width?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I bought a new bed frame and DIY latex mattress. I also have been shopping for decent cool bedding. I purchased queen percale sheet sets and the flat sheet is 106" long x 96" wide. I purchased a linen duvet cover and it is 92" long x 88" wide. Even their linen flat sheet is the same dimensions as the percale so that isn't the problem. So this means my flat sheet is 8" wider and hangs lower than the duvet cover along the sides. To me it looks sloppy. I didn't even think to check the dimensions before ordering. I just assumed the duvet cover would be larger. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? This is the first "luxury" bedding I've ever purchased.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Tuck your sheets.

googled duvet (and covers) vs comforter .... sounds like something invented to charge more $$.

Last edited:
Reactions: balloonshark

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Tuck your sheets.

googled duvet (and covers) vs comforter .... sounds like something invented to charge more $$.
Are you supposed to tuck the flat sheets along the sides? I've only tucked in the bottom and left the sides loose. I sleep hot so being "strapped" into bed doesn't sound like it would be comfortable.

I didn't know what a duvet cover was until a month or so ago. It's just easier to wash the cover than a bulky comforter. It's also easier to change the cover if your into changing the color of your bedding. I would like to get a decent down or feather duvet insert and it would be much easier washing a removable cover than a large pricey down insert. To be honest the linen cover has a nice weight to it so I may just use it during the summer without an insert.

Edit: Ok, I watched a video and they do in fact tuck in the side of the sheets. I only thought people did that so their bedding looks like hotel bedding.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Glad you're moving up in the style world.😀

Sheets, they need to be extra wide. I've got 90lbs on the wife but she can take them all by midnight. Damned sneaky sneak.

• Haha
Reactions: lxskllr

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Glad you're moving up in the style world.😀

Sheets, they need to be extra wide. I've got 90lbs on the wife but she can take them all by midnight. Damned sneaky sneak.
I thought this was a safe space where men could gather and talk about interior design. :p

You do make a good point about the wide sheets though.

• Haha
Reactions: highland145