Why wont this HP Printer Install?

Blammo300

Jul 19, 2002
We have a HP 7310 Multidevice printer. We have it attached via a USB cable. The printer was working before but it stopped working for some reason. It will not communicate with the computer but it will recieve faxes.

So I deleted all the drivers for the printer and I am now trying to reinstall them. The problem is the computer is not detecting the printer. I downloaded the newest drivers from HP, one of them was over 200 megs. Any Ideas?

Blammo300

Jul 19, 2002
Yep that was the first thing I did. It does not find printer when it does the search, and I tried to do it manually but it will not recognize the printer. BTW I am using Windows XP and it is USB only in back of printer.

sandeep108

May 24, 2005
If it stopped working suddenly, it could be a printer malfunction. Have you tried switching off the mains power to it completely to try and reset it? Or run a test print (not fax).

Blammo300

Jul 19, 2002
I tried unplugging it for a little while. I tried to test print from the computer but not printer itself.

ForgetCassettes

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2003
are you sure the USB port you are plugging it into is working? Maybe make sure by plugging a different device into it ?

Blammo300

Jul 19, 2002
Is there any software I can use to clear all the HP drivers out of the registry and everywhere else. I tried the one on the site for clearing drivers for the 7310 but it still did not recognize the printer after driver reinstallation.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Is your model network ready? Could you connect it up with an ethernet cable?

Have to ask, but are you connecting the USB cable when prompted? Not ahead of time?

I've seen HP's uninstall utility for that model at their site. When I see utility's like that, I start thinking they've got driver or hardware problems.

My wife uses the 7310 at her office.

Blammo300

Jul 19, 2002
I have the USB attached since startup of the computer. It doesnt prompt me to put the USB in at the time of install it just says it is searching for HP printers on my system.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
yeah, unplug the printer from the usb port. restart windows, run the hp setup, when it says looking for printers plug in your printer.

Blammo300

Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Quasmo
yeah, unplug the printer from the usb port. restart windows, run the hp setup, when it says looking for printers plug in your printer.

I tried this yesterday after removing all HP drivers from the Add/Remove Programs and using the HP driver cleaner program. It will not detect the printer. I tried to delete what I could out of the registry for the printer files but it is a HP computer so there are alot more HP registry values.

So far the only way I have been able to see the printer from this HP computer is through the network when I have the printer connected to the router via ethernet. It starts to install the 7310 printer but later asks for a serscan.sys and srgb.icm files, I dont have the srgb.icm file on my hard drive and I dont have my windows XP CD on me. It finishes the install after I click cancel for the missing srgb file, it even has the new files for the HP printer in add/remove programs. But the HP printer does not appear in my printers, its like it installs the software and drivers but since I canceled the missing file it does not finish the install properly.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
Let us know how you do. I had to reinstall my HP 2510 about a month ago and it FOUR forking hours. It's still not perfect, but it's a good as it's gonna get.