Why Won't the Obama Campaign Resurrect the Ghost of George Bush?

Oct 30, 2004
Something I have wondered is why the Democrats and the Obama campaign seem to be refusing to remind the American populace that George Bush was a Republican and that he was the president when the nation's economy collapsed.

I don't think it should be a centerpiece or even a major part of the campaign, but shouldn't they be doing a little something to say, "Under the leadership of the last Republican president, the nation's economy was almost destroyed"? Shouldn't they be doing something to remind Americans of what happened the last time a Republican was in office?

I don't understand why there aren't a couple PAC ads reminding Americans of George Bush and suggesting that Romney and Republican control of the White House wouldn't be any different.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Maybe because Obama is the ghost of george bush himself.

However, he should remind them that democrats have tended to be less economically authoritarian than republicans even if the difference isnt as big as when the democrats were the party of van buren and Cleveland.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Something I have wondered is why the Democrats and the Obama campaign seem to be refusing to remind the American populace that George Bush was a Republican and that he was the president when the nation's economy collapsed.

Probably because it would be overkill since his whole term has been blaming Bush for his shortcomings.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Blaming Bush for everything at this point would just be a Republican-style Big Lie. He'd have to give up on all of his accomplishments to try to sell it. Lying is not the liberal way, and Obama has reams of accomplishments to sell himself with.

Jan 25, 2011
They don't have to. Americans remember and still not fondly. Poll last week showed 57% still blame Bush for the state of the economy.

There's no reason for them to bring it up and create a line of attack for the GOP.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Because if the President is responsible for having thing that happens on his watch then Obama is responsible for trillion dollar deficits and 8%+ unemployment.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
My guess is that Papa Bush still has a lot of influence and has told everyone not to utter the Bush name (why everyone always says "previous administration", etc.). And this seems to have been in effect ever since Obama was president elect (i. e. ever since Nero actually left office in 2008)

Guess it will only be when Jeb runs in 2016 that the Bush name is an allowed line of attack for msm.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's because they've already beat that dead horse to a nubbin. Bush has been blamed for pretty much everything, but it's now three and a half years later. The question is no longer "how did Bush screw it up", it's "what has Obama done about it".

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
It's because they've already beat that dead horse to a nubbin. Bush has been blamed for pretty much everything, but it's now three and a half years later. The question is no longer "how did Bush screw it up", it's "what has Obama done about it".

This

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Because then he'll get accused of "blaming bush".

Politics is just like office politics. Sometimes you just can't place blame where it belongs or you look like the bad guy.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Yeah, I don't think it's in either Bush's or Obama's best interests to call each other out personally. They each belong in a different "generation" as it were. A classic lose/lose situation for both. However, I don't think it's beyond the bounds of mutual (dis)respect between the parties each president represents to refer to each "administration" in general when making disconcerting remarks toward each.

Unless either of them starts something, I can see a suspiciously alert truce of some sorts existing between the two.

Besides, Bush has been well behaved and properly restrained in his effort to earnestly rewrite history in his favor, much as he'd like to.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Polls show that Americans blame Bush for the economy. There is no need.

Only 57% so Obama's campaign is not going to bang on this issue when many would disagree with them, though I expect the campaign to bring this up more subtly here and there.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Blaming Bush for everything at this point would just be a Republican-style Big Lie. He'd have to give up on all of his accomplishments to try to sell it. Lying is not the liberal way, and Obama has reams of accomplishments to sell himself with.

L O L

Nice one :D

Saying lying is not the way of either major political party is ridiculous.

Also, as mentioned, Obama has already spent the last 4 years blaming Bush for everything, it is time for him to "moveon.org" already ;)

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
L O L

Nice one :D

Saying lying is not the way of either major political party is ridiculous.

Also, as mentioned, Obama has already spent the last 4 years blaming Bush for everything, it is time for him to "moveon.org" already ;)

I got a laugh out of that also, she said lying wasn't the liberal way and then lied.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Neither liberals nor conservatives lie to anyone but themselves.