Why wont the music industry make something happen so we can legally obtain our music.

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
I for one now am only going to buy cd's, simply because it's a must.

But my question is, why the hell can't we buy one mp3 off the internet. The music industry would still make money! UGH :|

My problem is, why the hell don't they have something like napster running, where you can pay for whatever music you want. They obviously have a list of all the songs ever made, so why not get them, put them in a high quality mp3, and let us buy the damn things.

I think they should stop bitching about people getting mp3's. If you could buy "good" music off the internet at a reasonable price, EVERY SINGLE SONG I EVER WOULD HAVE GOTTEN, would have been paid for.

Ugh, this pisses me off :(

MP3's are a lot easier than carrying cd's around, which is why I want to obtain them all legally, but I don't want to buy the cd's, to which I will never listen to again, I'd only rip them and be done with them.

:(

My rant for the day.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
They do have a way, it's called buying CDs.

Why should they invest the time and money in something that would have very minimal returns?

Also, if you can download it you can distribute it. They don't want that, remember?

Viper GTS

Thanatopsis

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2000

<< They do have a way, it's called buying CDs.

Why should they invest the time and money in something that would have very minimal returns?

Also, if you can download it you can distribute it. They don't want that, remember?

Viper GTS
>>

If I can buy it, I can distribute it as well. It doesn't take a genius to rip a CD into a high quality mp3 file and share it on Morpheus.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
CD's are one more step that has to be done, & a surprising percentage of the population can't make that step.

Viper GTS

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<< CD's are one more step that has to be done, & a surprising percentage of the population can't make that step.

Viper GTS
>>

It doesn't take a large segment of the CD buying population making that step to get an MP3 out there. Once just a few people make that step and have an MP3 available, it propagates rather quickly.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
True, but they will view it as progress if they eliminate some of the would-be thieves & sell some more CDs.

Do I agree with them?

Yes & no.

I, for one, buy all my music. I have no MP3's, & I have over 150 CDs. I do not support the downloading & sharing of music.

I do, however, support the ability to copy music onto your HD to set yourself up a collection of music you can access at your fingertips without getting CD's out. In the past I have had MP3's on my system of full CD's that I owned. I had around 30 albums stored in their entirety. But I owned the CD's for all of them.

Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Paulson, do you honestly believe that argument is new? It's been around since the dawn of MP3's.

"Why should I pay for a CD when I only want two songs? I'll just download them & save the $15."

If you don't like the product, or can't afford it, don't buy it.

It's really not that difficult.

Viper GTS

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000

<< CD's are one more step that has to be done, & a surprising percentage of the population can't make that step.

Viper GTS
>>

Please explain your logic in this.

Mp3 - get a blank CD, burn them
CD - get a blank CD, dupe it

And with MP3's you have to convert them to wav's, possibly convert the bit rate and all..

But I do agree with your other sentiments though.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Downloading MP3 vs. Buying CD:

Downloading MP3:

1) Download MP3
2) Listen
3) Idea: Jimmy in Tennessee might like this song
4) Fire off an e-mail, transfer it via IM, whatever to Jimmy
5) Repeat

Buying CD:

1) Buy CD
2) Listen
4) Insert CD in PC, attempt to rip
5) Repeat step 4 until frustration sets in
6) Give up, call Jimmy on the phone
7) Hey Jimmy, listen to this!
8) Jimmy buys CD
9) Repeat

Viper GTS

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
theres lots of crap on most albums. prob is, if you put out only the good songs on the internet
1) who determines what the good songs are?
2) would that decrease industry revenues since a lot of people aren't going to pay the $15 to get just the two good songs?
3) how is the bandwidth paid for (its pretty expensive)?

and they don't have a list of every song ever made. in fact, they're not sure about copyrights either, most of that has not been digitized and much of it may have expired.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001

<< My problem is, why the hell don't they have something like napster running, where you can pay for whatever music you want. >>

The music industry is in fact putting together such a system, that's why they wanted Napster out of the picture - competition.

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000

<< Downloading MP3 vs. Buying CD:

Downloading MP3:

1) Download MP3
2) Listen
4) Fire off an e-mail, transfer it via IM, whatever to Jimmy
5) Repeat

Buying CD:

1) Buy CD
2) Listen
4) Insert CD in PC, attempt to rip
5) Repeat step 4 until frustration sets in
6) Give up, call Jimmy on the phone
7) Hey Jimmy, listen to this!
8) Jimmy buys CD
9) Repeat

Viper GTS
>>

God that was idiotic.

I could easily manipulate your list into:

1) Download Kazaa/Audio Galaxy
2) Install
3) Start program
4) Do a search for song
5) Find the one with the proper bitrate
6) Download
7) Repeat if server disconnects
8) Listen
9) Idea: whatever it is
10) Open e-mail program
11) Click on Send Mail
12) Click on attach
13) ...........

See, it works both ways, d'oh :(

I could easily get into the 100's with this.

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
You would be able to have a choice of everything on the cd...

You could still have a choice to buy the full cd if you wanted (the point being)

Bandwidth may be expensive, but if you're paying for it (and I'm assuming the RIAA has billions upon billions of dollars and would rather have people pay then pirate their music)

Oh well...

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's quite simple actually. There are five companies/conglomerates which control the ENTIRE music distribution process in the world -- Thorn/EMI, Sony, WEA (Warner, Electra, Atlantic), BMG, and Polygram. If you create a process by which music can be distributed electronically, without the need for worldwide contacts and organizations, you completely remove the control that those five conglomerates have. Why would they want to do that?