Why wont my DVD player show anything widescreen/letterbox anymore??

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
I dont' get whats going on..

Movies like The Godfather II, Metropolis (anime), The Big Lebowski...

Nothing plays wide screen anymore. Well, they do, but the movie is not shown letterbox. It is as if it thinks I have a widescreen tv so the image scrolls outside of the picture tube window, the way it would display on a widescreen tv.

If I push the fit-to-screen button on my dvd player it expands it, which is what it would do if it was letterbox to get rid of the black bars..

But, I can't see the black bars on anything anymore.. normally when you watch something in the widescreen format you get the black bars along the top and bottom of the screen.. no longer do I get them!!

Why would this be happening?? How do I get my letterbox back!

(Using a Samsung M301 player)

LostHiWay

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
you need to go into the setup menu and select 4:3 Letterbox. You have it on 16x9 which makes the DVD player think you have a widescreen TV

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: LostHiWay
you need to go into the setup menu and select 4:3 Letterbox. You have it on 16x9 which makes the DVD player think you have a widescreen TV
Yup. What he said. We had this same problem, and it's a simple setup option.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: LostHiWay

Is that an option on the DVD player itself or for each movie?

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Spooner
Actually, it was on the TV for me.

On the TV? Hmm.. how does that work? (It's not on my tv, just wondering how it worked for you)

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: LordJezo
Originally posted by: Spooner
Actually, it was on the TV for me.

On the TV? Hmm.. how does that work? (It's not on my tv, just wondering how it worked for you)
Now that I think about it, it must have been the DVD player.... there was a setup option that allowed us to select 4:3 or 16:9